pixeltracker

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews- Page 2

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews

binau Profile Photo
binau
#25MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 11:05am

Jumpin_J said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Truly warms the heart to read MERRILY reviews this strong…and quite the rave for Groff by Jesse Green.

It could be Groff vs Redmayne come Tony time.
"

Eddie might get nominated for just being him which would be wrong, but I HATED Cabaret. The director blew it. The MC is constantly angry which contradicts his opening monologue of "In here, everything is beautiful". Sally is constantly hysterical so she has nowhere to go when she has her breakdown, and Cliff has all the enthusiasm of watching paint dry until he yells at Sally near the end. I've spoken to at least three other people who saw the same production with different casts and said the same thing, so these are directorial decisions. I'll reserve judgement on Merrily when I see it tomorrow.
"

When I saw Eddie Redmayne in Cabaret, it felt like I was really watching the Director's hand whereas in Merrily it really felt like it was Groff's talent that made all the difference (as much as Maria Friedman I'm sure has helped though clearly based on the filmed London Merrily she herself cannot always find the magic answer for everyone and Groff is doing something special). Hopefully the buzz starts to build behind Groff - I do think Merrily will need to extend though or it would be very unusual to aware a Best Actor Musical Tony to someone in a closed show when there are viable alternatives from open shows. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

steve.sometime
#26MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 11:23am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Truly warms the heart to read MERRILY reviews this strong…and quite the rave for Groff by Jesse Green.

"

More importantly, which is going to win the Best Revival? My heart wants Merrily's redemption story to go all the way! But Cabaret is incredibly strong.

Groff vs Redmayne, I'd be happy for either one. Honestly I'd be fine if neither win. I slightly lean towards Groff, because how weird Redmayne sounds on the cast recording.

Updated On: 10/10/23 at 11:23 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#27MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 11:54am

steve.sometime said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Truly warms the heart to read MERRILY reviews this strong…and quite the rave for Groff by Jesse Green.

"

More importantly, which is going to win the Best Revival? My heart wants Merrily's redemption story to go all the way! But Cabaret is incredibly strong.
"

I give MERRILY the edge as of now, but I haven't seen CABARET. Could also depend if MERRILY is running come Tony time...it's scheduled through 3/24/24, but I don't know how long these contracts are for the 3 stars.

But it's a stacked season for revivals with maybe more on the way.

MERRILY
CABARET
GUTENBERG
WIZ
SPAMALOT

JasonC3
#28MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 12:00pm

If Gutenberg or Spamalot win Best Revival, I'm giving up on theater.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#29MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 12:09pm

I really don't know who I'd give the best revival Tony to (not that Cabaret has started and will even have most of the same cast as I saw). If it were based purely on the physical production/staging I would have to give it to Cabaret, which I think is ultimately more beautifully designed and interestingly stage. I think this Cabaret production will work with a cast change, whereas I'm not convinced Merrily will. The special ingredient for this Merrily production is the 3 leads. But ultimately this has proved that the material and show works when previously it didn't. And that does feel like an accomplishment worthy of a 'Best Revival' status. 

I would not be unhappy if 'Best Revival' Tony went to Cabaret through if Groff and Radcliffe walk away with Tonys, for example. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

DaveyG
#30MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 12:29pm

So delighted by these reviews! I wish Mr. S. could have seen the rapturous response. 

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#31MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 12:35pm

I have rarely been more pleased by a reviews thread.

Nicticorax
#32MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 12:39pm

I've seen several people on Reddit and other similar forums saying that the 3 leads in Merrily have agreed to stay for up to a year if it continues extending. Is this a complete rumor or are there credible sources saying this? I also vaguely remember reading some article that mentioned it, but I could be completely imagining that. Would love any sources if there are any!

BCfitasafiddle
#33MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 12:42pm

This is Groff's moment. I am so thrilled for him, it brings tears to my eyes. 

I hope Steve and Hal are reading these wherever they may be.

Jarethan
#34MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 1:06pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "This is Groff's moment. I am so thrilled for him, it brings tears to my eyes.

I hope Steve and Hal are reading these wherever they may be.
"

Not sure about Hal.  Hal's direction was what killed the show.  Prince rarely failed, and never to the extent that he did with that one.  The success here is further validation that Prince of that failure,

binau Profile Photo
binau
#35MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 1:07pm

I've heard credible rumors they are still looking for/accepting money from investors. I don't really know why or how it works especially because performances have started and business is stellar. Perhaps someone who knows more than me could indicate whether this means anything RE: longer run or if it's standard fare. 

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#36MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 1:23pm

I have been out of the country and now half way over the Atlantic but why were the reviews all posted this morning? Unless it has something to do with the time difference showing a different time on the posts?

Thanks.

Also I am beyond pleased with these reviews. Truly well deserved.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Zeppie2022
#37MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 1:30pm

"I have rarely been more pleased by a reviews thread."

I agree 100%. These reviews make me want to fly to NYC as soon as possible and see the show.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#38MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 1:41pm

barcelona20 said: "Any chance this gets filmed?"

It was already filmed back in 2013/2014 in London’s West End, which pretty much is the same production as this one, just with a more famous cast people are willing to pay $$$ to see.

i watched this production in Boston back in 2017 and absolutely loved it.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#39MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 1:42pm

THRILLED with these reviews. This show deserves all the praise it's getting. It's a truly remarkable production.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#40MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 1:47pm

DTLI Consensus: After decades of attempted tinkering, it’s finally a hit. 

10 positive (including the NYT).

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/merrily-we-roll-along-bway/

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#41MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 1:52pm

Groff vs. Redmayne will definitely be a close Tony race, but let’s not forget Mendez vs. Rankin and Friedman vs. Frecknall. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Nicticorax
#42MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 2:20pm

I wonder if Redmayne will be hurt by how iconic Joel Grey's Emcee was and how paradigm-shifting Alan Cumming's was. I know Redmayne's performance is very buzzy right now, but I have trouble imagining that he will have the long-lasting icon status of his predecessors. When I hear "Emcee" I think of Grey's ventriloquist-dummy makeup or Cumming's suspenders. It's too early to say, but I don't see Redmayne and his party hat reaching that level and spawning a thousand look-alike productions.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#43MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 2:47pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Groff vs. Redmayne will definitely be a close Tony race, but let’s not forget Mendez vs. Rankin and Friedman vs. Frecknall."

And while Cabaret vs. Merrily is basically guaranteed to be two-horse race, the rest of these aren't. We also have Kelli O'Hara and likely Eden Espinosa (Lempicka) in leading actress, Chip Zien and Brian D'arcy James in leading actor, and Alex Timbers (Here Lies Love) in director! 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#44MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 2:58pm

I’m firmly in the camp of believing a Redmayne/Groff race isn’t really a race at all. I just have the feeling that these are both Groff & Mendez’s awards and it would take something absolutely extraordinary happening to change my mind on that. 

Jarethan
#45MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 3:16pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I’m firmly in the camp of believing a Redmayne/Groff race isn’t really a race at all. I just have the feeling that these are both Groff & Mendez’s awards and it would take something absolutely extraordinary happening to change my mind on that."

I have already begun to think that all three will win the Tony award in a mere 8 or so months.  With Radcliffe, not only does he have unanimous rave reviews and a mega-show-stopping number; his ongoing commitment to return to Broadway on a regular basis, coupled with the fact the fact that the Tony's have truly snubbed him in the past, will have voters wanting to make it up to him.  I can think of no one as famous as he is who has appeared on Broadway as many times as he has, 5 times, in a mere 15 years.  i see Charlie as a featured role, star or not.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#46MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 3:20pm

As far as Best Revival is concerned, I'd put money on Merrily right now, and I haven't even see this Cabaret. I could be wrong, but I just don't see the reaction being as rapturous, and, more importantly, as heartfelt, as it has been to Merrily.

If we're comparing it to this year, Merrily is Parade, and Cabaret is Sweeney, in my opinion.

Updated On: 10/10/23 at 03:20 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#47MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 3:24pm

TaffyDavenport said: "As far as Best Revival is concerned, I'd put money on Merrily right now, and I haven't even see this Cabaret. I could be wrong, but I just don't see the reaction being as rapturous, and, more importantly, as heartfelt, as it has been toMerrily."

There’s so many levels also to the love this show is (finally) getting in New York and I think that’s gong to play in big time with the Tony Voters. Giving this musical the respect it was never able to get originally just seems like a well deserved gift they can give to Sondheim/Furth/Prince.

And I also agree that Radcliffe very well might take it, too. Would love so much for all 3 of them to be able to post together holding their statues. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#48MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 3:29pm

Jarethan said: "i see Charlie as a featured role, star or not."

Charley has never felt like a star role to me in the revised version of MERRILY. Lonny Price might have felt like more of a star because of my previously-hypothesized issues about the Frank problems in the original version. The way I see it, MERRILY is about Frank; Charley & Mary are important supporting parts, but they don't drive the story. Charley's biggest moment of the show is also in the first half hour. (For awards purposes I suppose you could argue that Mendez belongs in either Featured or Lead.)

The only reason why DR is billed first is because he's, well, DR. And without him it wouldn't be grossing nearly as well.

Updated On: 10/10/23 at 03:29 PM

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#49MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
Posted: 10/10/23 at 3:36pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "ElephantLoveMedley said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "It could be Groff vs Redmayne come Tony time."

Definitely feels that way. These are love letters to Groff. Right now, Redmayne feels like the only other major threat this season.
"

My thesis about MERRILY has long been that the original was primarily doomed because they could never crack Frank (and that was a combination of Prince, Furth, Weissenbach/Walton, Sondheim). His arc wasn't right and the audience disengaged. Finally, Frank has been cracked and guess what? The show works! And IMHO it works much better with Groff & the current cast than with the gents from London.
"

Do you have any specific changes? Curious as I likely won't make it in town for this one, but it looks gorgeous!