pixeltracker

OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024

OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#1OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 9:18am

Per Theatremania

https://www.theatermania.com/news/shaina-taubs-suffs-to-get-broadway-run-this-spring-with-hillary-clinton-among-producers_1718427/

Among the producers for the Broadway run are Hillary Rodham Clinton and Malala Yousafzai, joining lead producers Jill Fuhrman and Rachel Sussman. Casting for the Broadway run has not been announced.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Updated On: 10/18/23 at 09:18 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 9:44am

Great theater for this. 

I'm guessing we'll have a Suffs vs Lempicka Tony race?

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#3OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 9:48am

Another show to be excited for!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#4OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 10:02am

RippedMan said: "Great theater for this.

"

I mean, I think it’s too early to tell anything. Especially since we don’t know where HERE LIES LOVE and GUTENBERG will fall in the Tony categories (new vs. revival)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#5OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 10:17am

Worth noting that this appears to be an almost entirely new production. Taub, Silverman, and Sun Hee Kil (who has been demoted to associate sound designer) are the only creatives carrying from the Public. 

Public team: 

• Directed by Leigh Silverman
  • Choreographed by Raja Feather Kelly
  • Music Direction by Andrea Grody
  • Orchestrations by Mike Brun
  • Scenic Design by Mimi Lien
  • Costume Design by Toni-Leslie James
  • Lighting Design by Natasha Katz
  • Sound Design by Sun Hee Kil

Broadway team:

• Choreography by Mayte Natalio 
  • Music supervision and music direction by Andrea Grody
  • Orchestrations by Michael Starobin
  • Scenic design by Riccardo Hernández
  • Costume design by Paul Tazewell
  • Lighting design by Lap Chi Chu
  • Sound design by Jason Crystal with associate Sun Hee Kil

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#6OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 10:29am

quizking101 said: "RippedMan said: "Great theater for this.

"

I mean, I think it’s too early to tell anything. Especially since we don’t know where HERE LIES LOVE and GUTENBERG will fall in the Tony categories (new vs. revival)
"

They'll both be new.

Alex Kulak2
#7OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 10:29am

This brings the count to 12 new musicals we're getting on Broadway this year! That's as many as we got in 2016-2017, when all the transfers that didn't want to compete with Hamilton went up.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#8OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 10:32am

jkcohen626 said: "Worth noting that this appears to be an almost entirely new production. Taub, Silverman, and Sun Hee Kil (who has been demoted to associate sound designer) are the only creatives carrying from the Public.

Public team:

• Choreographed by Raja Feather Kelly
  • Music Direction by Andrea Grody
  • Orchestrations by Mike Brun
  • Scenic Design by Mimi Lien
  • Costume Design by Toni-Leslie James
  • Lighting Design by Natasha Katz
  • Sound Design by Sun Hee Kil

Broadway team:

• Choreography byMayte Natalio
  • Music supervision and music direction byAndrea Grody
  • Orchestrations by Michael Starobin
  • Scenic design by Riccardo Hernández
  • Costume design byPaul Tazewell
  • Lighting design byLap Chi Chu
  • Sound design byJason Crystalwith associateSun Hee Kil

"

Interesting. I wonder if this means we're getting a new cast as well. 

DaveyG
#9OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 10:40am

RippedMan said: "Great theater for this.

"

Suffs and Lempicka got middling reviews in their pre-Broadway productions. I think The Notebook is the one to beat. 

willep
#10OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 11:03am

HenryTDobson said: "jkcohen626 said: "Interesting. I wonder if this means we're getting a new cast as well."

When I spoke to someone involved with the Public production a year ago, they said that some cast were in it for the long haul and others were not. Of course, that was a year ago and anything can change in that time, so I won’t mention names. But I would imagine it will be a mix.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#11OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 11:11am

Hiring new designers is all well and good, but it feels like a way of saying to potential investors "look at the changes we're making!!!!" Those are cosmetic changes. What Toni-Leslie James did at the Public vs what Paul Tazewell does on Broadway will probably both be interesting and not a major factor in the reception of the show.

The actual written material of the show, the scenic design, and the choreography are larger matters, as is the addition of orchestrator Michael Starobin, who might help bring a more melodic musical theatre sound to the score.

I found the cast to be strong at the Public, and I know some of them continued on in workshops. But there's also a question of how the roles have evolved since then.

It'll be a big test for Leigh Silverman to see if she can handle a musical. I know many of us have doubts about her. Not everyone is ideal for musicals. We'll see what happens, but I'm looking forward to seeing it all new and improved.

Updated On: 10/18/23 at 11:11 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 11:22am

I’m fairly sure that, at the very least, the actors’ contracts for the show at the Public will require them to get right of first refusal in the event the production was to further develop and/or transfer. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

hearthemsing22
#13OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 11:22am

willep said: "HenryTDobson said: "jkcohen626 said: "Interesting. I wonder if this means we're getting a new cast as well."

When I spoke to someone involved with the Public production a year ago, they said that some cast were in it for the long haul and others were not. Of course, that was a year ago and anything can change in that time, so I won’t mention names. But I would imagine it will be a mix.
"

Curious! I wonder who is in it for the long haul. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#14OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 11:31am

It'll be a big test for Leigh Silverman to see if she can handle a musical. I know many of us have doubts about her. Not everyone is ideal for musicals. We'll see what happens, but I'm looking forward to seeing it all new and improved.

Leigh Silverman has directed musicals in the past. She was Tony nominated for Violet. I have really enjoyed her work thus far. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#15OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 11:37am

I thought Silverman ably directed Soft Power, even if I didn’t think the show as written was particularly successful. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 11:38am

I'm aware of Leigh's credentials, but her less-than-great work on SUFFS (and, to some extent, SOFT POWER - I'm opposite of Kad, I actually think it's a better piece of writing than directing) left some of us wondering if her success with VIOLET was a fluke. I'm hoping she and everyone else have figured out the problems of SUFFS.

Updated On: 10/18/23 at 11:38 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#17OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 11:43am

Kad: Are you saying this is standard for PUBLIC productions?  Off Bway in general?  (I'm really asking, curious about the process.)

I'm excited.  I really enjoyed this at the public, and walked away wanting to understand more, as well as get to see it again!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#18OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 12:03pm

dramamama611 said: "Kad: Are you saying this is standard for PUBLIC productions? Off Bway in general? (I'm really asking, curious about the process.)"

Off Broadway in general- the Public uses AEA’s Off Broadway agreement. There used to be two types of Off-Broadway contracts: ANTC, which was used by the non profits, and then general Off-Broadway, but they were merged into one agreement around five years ago. 

It’s been several years since I’ve dealt with these contracts, so my memory may be faulty and things may have changed. But there are often protections for the actors if a production is set to transfer to ensure they have first refusal and/or are compensated if they are not used. There could be a loophole with this if the subsequent production is not a direct transfer- ie, if it’s a whole new production. Again, I’m not 100% sure. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#19OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 12:04pm

Right of first refusal is pretty normal for pre-Broadway productions at a nonprofit theater with a commercial producer attached. The specifics can vary person to person and production to production, but if they choose not to offer them the Broadway run, then the actors usually get 2-4 weeks' Broadway pay. Same with the designers who they're not moving ahead with.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#20OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 12:07pm

Interesting....thanks to both Kad and Ermengarde for the explanations.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

JSquared2
#21OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 12:12pm

Kad said: "I’m fairly sure that, at the very least, the actors’ contracts for the show at the Public will require them to get right of first refusal in the event the production was to further develop and/or transfer."

ROFR is something that is negotiated with each actor -- it's never guaranteed.  Also that's why buyouts exist.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#22OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 12:24pm

I loved Soft Power! What a weird show. This feels like something up her alley. It's a musical. But it's not "Some like it Hot."

And I forgot about The Notebook! Pretty stacked season of new musicals.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#23OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 12:25pm

ROFR is absolutely guaranteed on some AEA agreements and codes. 

I’ve been able to find the 2012-2016 version of the Off Broadway contract, and under the conversion rights clause, it is unambiguous that in the event of a transfer, offers must be extended to the cast or payouts must be made. 

A.J.
#24OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 12:44pm

Here’s hoping they revist some design elements to bring some life, colour and texture into the look of the show…. Make it look a little less dusty.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#25OFFICIAL: SUFFS to open at Music Box Theatre, April 18, 2024
Posted: 10/18/23 at 1:12pm

It's interesting that there's so many new musicals this season but no one seems to have any idea what will be the biggest Tony contenders yet. Time will tell...