pixeltracker

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’- Page 3

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’

MackTheKnife2 Profile Photo
MackTheKnife2
#50Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/30/23 at 6:15pm

Noideawhatimdoinghere said: "BUT, that being said. Aaron is more than a high belting pop tenor. Not many people know that he basically trained as a classical singer his whole life before changing from classical voice major to musical theatre major in college. He's even sung both the Rodolfo aria from La Bohème and an English art song in his concerts. Have a listen to this audio of him singing Che Gelida Maninahttps://youtu.be/ZKPtqFzKx4c?si=SkWQk2iIlhIqufW1I think this definitely is proof that he's got the legit vocals. He'll definitely throw in some grit and growls though, when required. He doesn't have the baritone timbre, but Sweeney has been played by tenors before. Alexander Gemignani for example. Hugh Panaro is also a tenor, though darker than Aaron. And I know that Aaron will go full out in this role and be a bat**** insane Sweeney. Plus, it's been a dream role of his for 10 years. He'll do it justice.

"

Aside from the terrible arrangement and his getting the words wrong, I really don't think that this performance of "Che gelida manina" is proof that he's more than a high belting pop tenor, since that's exactly what he sounded like. 

I really hope I can be surprised, but I'm not at all excited about this casting.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#51Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/30/23 at 6:55pm

I just feel like I can already tell what both of their performances is going to be like, much like Josh and Ashford. Like it's not going to be anything different. She's gonna give us quirky, he's just going to stand there and do nothing but sound good.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#52Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/30/23 at 8:58pm

poto19882023 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "poto19882023 said: "Announcement is tomorrow, they start in February, and in the interim the roles will be played by Nicholas Christopher & Paul Jordan Jensen as Sweeney and Jeanna De Waal & Delaney Westfall as Mrs. Lovett."

This is hilarious you act like you're part of their casting team. What's wrong with waiting for the official announcement? Do you have a problem with waiting?
"

Just sharing what I was told. My apologies. I’m fine with waiting just naturally excited for the news to come out officially. Guess it won’t be long now.

If you want a specific source the cast announcement being tomorrow comes from the box office - hesitant to share the source for the info about the interim cast just in case but I trust them and it only came up when Delaney went on for Lovett on Saturday and discussion was had about her ever going on again when this person said she’d have those dates in January.
"

Dude np you don't have to apologize to anyone. Don't take comments from anyone here seriously. Just a bunch of mostly mean spirited theater jerks. You shared news from what you heard on  a stupid theater board full of people that hate this casting. Anway, looking forward to attending the tale again with Aaron & Sutton. Love the idea of them both in these roles. 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#53Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/30/23 at 9:36pm

Broadway61004 said: "pmensky said: "ACL2006 said: "Tveit is an odd choice because of his high vocal range. Can he sing Sweeney Todd in the proper key? As a baritone?"

If Michael Cerveris, who originated the title role in Tommy, can sing Sweeney, then yes, Tveit can sing Sweeney.
"

Except that Michael Cerveris struggled with a lot of the low notes in Sweeney (and for that matter, with some of the high notes in Tommy).
"

Exactly. I love Michael Cerveris, but at least at the performance I saw, he was scraping the absolute bottom of his register, and although he was physically able to hit the notes, sections of the score were vocally uncomfortable for him. I thought he was miscast, and he’s more of a lyric baritone — Tveit is a true tenor. But who knows, perhaps Tveit is one of those rare singers with an unusually large vocal range who can basically sing anything. It is certainly an interesting choice…And he will definitely be the prettiest-looking Sweeney there ever was…

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#54Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/30/23 at 11:20pm

Welp, I guess Andrew McCarthy and Meg Ryan have aged out, so....

bwaylvsong1
#55Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 8:20am

For those of you who are concerned about Tveit’s vocal type, I had a similar concern going into seeing Hugh Panaro play the role and thought he was phenomenal!  

hearthemsing22
#56Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 8:42am

Robbie2 said: "poto19882023 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "poto19882023 said: "Announcement is tomorrow, they start in February, and in the interim the roles will be played by Nicholas Christopher & Paul Jordan Jensen as Sweeney and Jeanna De Waal & Delaney Westfall as Mrs. Lovett."

This is hilarious you act like you're part of their casting team. What's wrong with waiting for the official announcement? Do you have a problem with waiting?
"

Just sharing what I was told. My apologies. I’m fine with waiting just naturally excited for the news to come out officially. Guess it won’t be long now.

If you want a specific source the cast announcement being tomorrow comes from the box office - hesitant to share the source for the info about the interim cast just in case but I trust them and it only came up when Delaney went on for Lovett on Saturday and discussion was had about her ever going on again when this person said she’d have those dates in January.
"

Dude np you don't have to apologize to anyone. Don't take comments from anyone here seriously. Just a bunch of mostly mean spirited theater jerks. You shared news from what you heard on a stupid theater board full of people that hate this casting. Anway, looking forward to attending the tale again with Aaron & Sutton. Love the idea of them both in these roles.
"

And from what I've experienced with you, Robbie2, I believe you're one of those mean-spirited theater jerks as well. :) Go touch grass sweetie 

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#57Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 9:16am

bwaylvsong1 said: "For those of you who are concerned about Tveit’s vocal type, I had a similar concern going into seeing Hugh Panaro play the role and thought he was phenomenal! "

I would be curious to hear Panero in the role if there are any slime tutorials…Men’s voices do get lower with age sometimes. I think he might be the only former Anthony to go on to play the title role (in major productions anyway).

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#58Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 9:37am

Suppose I'm never seeing this, at this price point. Was holding out hope that the replacements would be some stroke of "Let's give it to em" brilliance like the Night Music revival. I've Seen five major productions of Sweeney and all of them had something really exciting and different to contribute, but have not heard or seen anything from the current revival that makes it sound anything other than bland as hell. 

Updated On: 10/31/23 at 09:37 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#59Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 9:58am

Scarywarhol said: "Suppose I'm never seeing this, at this price point."

I have no doubt this will regularly be no TDF, TKTS, and other discount services after the first week of previews. And even more heavily discounted in the interim time between Groban/Ashford and Tveit/Foster.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
ElephantLoveMedley
#61Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:10am

Good heavens, that photo is glorious.

Jordan Catalano
#62Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:11am

That photo legit gave me chills. I absolutely cannot wait. 

OhHiii
#63Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:12am

This photo makes me have second thoughts about my Aaron criticism…for reasons. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#64Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:13am

There'll be a lot riding on Foster during this run. The last time she was expected to be a catalyst for sales for a commercial production was SHREK, and the last such production to be financially successful was DROWSY. MUSIC MAN was a reminder of what a great comedic actor she can be, but Hugh drove the sales and was the one above the title.

Looking forward to seeing her Fred and her Lovett within the span of a few weeks (and combined I'll surely pay less than what I paid the first time I saw it with JG & AA).

Updated On: 10/31/23 at 10:13 AM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#65Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:16am

Ok, now I need to go back to the show!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Jordan Catalano
#66Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:17am

Wow, their first performance is Feb 9th, five days after her last “Mattress” show.

Theyre also only doing 12 weeks so maybe they will be doing more “theater people “ with shorter runs. Fingers crossed. 

Updated On: 10/31/23 at 10:17 AM

ElephantLoveMedley
#67Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:19am

Jordan Catalano said: "Wow, their first performance is Feb 9th, five days after her last “Mattress” show."

Crazy. Also worth pointing out that they're doing a 12-week limited run, so probably finishing up in early May.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#68Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:22am

Sutton looks great here. I think she’ll be able to thread the needle between humor and pathos. She also reads as the right age which I think helps quite a bit. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#69Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:29am

🎶 Attend the tale of Tenor Todd. His face was young, his casting odd 🎶

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#70Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:35am

So what days does Nic have in January? I need to see him 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#71Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:36am

I was hoping for Lea Delaria - as either Lovett or Todd. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#72Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:37am

Sutton actually seems like a great fit for this production. I still just don't understand why Tveit. It's not like he's gonna sell tickets. 

JasonC3
#73Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:40am

I was not particularly enamored with Ashford in the role, so I look forward to seeing Foster and am remaining open-minded about what Tveit may do as Todd.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#74Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 10:41am

ggersten said: "I was hoping for Lea Delaria - as either Lovett or Todd.”

That would require this production having an iota of edge. This is Disney’s Sweeney Todd and remains so with this casting.

(I’m a big fan of both actors, just think this squeaky clean, cartoonish production is not the Sweeney I wanted)