pixeltracker

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’- Page 5

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#100Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 2:29pm

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’Bill Snibson said: "That picture is hot and got me excited to see them take on these roles!!!"

Days ago most were hating of this casting now a photo is released and a different tone..........go figure!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 10/31/23 at 02:29 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#101Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 2:44pm

I genuinely wonder if people find it hard not to disassociate Aaron Tveit with Gabe in next to normal, both in appearance and voice/score. It is hard to imagine Aaron playing Sweeney with those parameters. 

When I look at the promo image he really has grown up from next to normal and looks the part though. Plus that clip someone posted of him singing in a more classical style sounded pretty good. And one of the core principles behind this entire revival so far was maintaining a certain level of musical/vocal standard. I am optimistic.. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#102Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 2:44pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Robbie2 said: "poto19882023 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "poto19882023 said: "Announcement is tomorrow, they start in February, and in the interim the roles will be played by Nicholas Christopher & Paul Jordan Jensen as Sweeney and Jeanna De Waal & Delaney Westfall as Mrs. Lovett."

This is hilarious you act like you're part of their casting team. What's wrong with waiting for the official announcement? Do you have a problem with waiting?
"

Just sharing what I was told. My apologies. I’m fine with waiting just naturally excited for the news to come out officially. Guess it won’t be long now.

If you want a specific source the cast announcement being tomorrow comes from the box office - hesitant to share the source for the info about the interim cast just in case but I trust them and it only came up when Delaney went on for Lovett on Saturday and discussion was had about her ever going on again when this person said she’d have those dates in January.
"

Dude np you don't have to apologize to anyone. Don't take comments from anyone here seriously. Just a bunch of mostly mean spirited theater jerks. You shared news from what you heard on a stupid theater board full of people that hate this casting. Anway, looking forward to attending the tale again with Aaron & Sutton. Love the idea of them both in these roles.
"

And from what I've experienced with you, Robbie2, I believe you're one of those mean-spirited theater jerks as well. :) Go touch grass sweetie
"

Wait.....look at you? Ah, miss...... Kiss Me!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#103Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 2:48pm

I think Sutton is going to nail this. I would love to hear Tveit sing it as I love his voice. I just think he is really going to have to step up his acting game for this. I saw him in Moulin Rouge and it was a very bland performance with the exception of one song where a glimmer of what he can do acting wise peeked through. (And maybe I saw him on an off night) I think he definitely looks the part. I hope he nails it. JMO

Just give the world Love.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#104Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 3:30pm

Are they staying with the 7 performances/week after Groban & Ashford leave?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

MezzA101
#105Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 3:44pm

7 performances a week, and after 01/14 Wednesday performances are 1pm and 7pm.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#106Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 4:46pm

jayinchelsea said: "I'm kind of shocked about the negative comments tossed out about Tveit and Foster, two of the best musical actors currently on the boards.Huh? They are both incredibly talented and accomplished singing actors, both Tony winners, and I don't imagine that they will disappoint their many fans. Why all this negativity?"

People just like to bitch about things they most likely won't see just for the sake of it. It's incredibly amusing. 

SisterGeorge
#107Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 6:35pm

B212323 said: "I'm more interested in knowing who's replacing Gaten."

I'm more interested in knowing who's replacing the audience, which gave the most self-indulgent, over-the-top performance of the season. It, far more than anyone or anything on stage, ruined the preview performance I attended.

Sister George

B212323
#108Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 7:41pm

SisterGeorge said: "B212323 said: "I'm more interested in knowing who's replacing Gaten."

I'm more interested in knowing who's replacing the audience, which gave the most self-indulgent, over-the-top performance of the season. It, far more than anyone or anything on stage, ruined the preview performance I attended.
"

Yeah the audience was kind of nuts the night I went but not nearly as bad as the crowds at Into The Woods - truly insane. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#109Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 7:47pm

Robbie2 said: "Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’Bill Snibson said: "That picture is hot and got me excited to see them take on these roles!!!"

Days ago most were hating of this casting now a photo is released and a different tone..........go figure!

"

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#110Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 10/31/23 at 8:18pm

Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’Bill Snibson said: "That picture is hot and got me excited to see them take on these roles!!!"

"

"

Have to say that Broadway Direct is a far superior ticket site to Ticketmaster and most def SeatGeek! Great seat view option and nicely laid out and user friendly. Quick n easy to navigate. 

Updated On: 10/31/23 at 08:18 PM

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#111Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 11/1/23 at 6:14am

No offense to the lady, but why does she have to be in everything?  As for Tvetch, meh.

Skywalker3
#112Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 11/1/23 at 8:25am

'Sutton is in everything' comments make no sense..

Yes she was in the Music Man last season. 
Before that it was allmost 10 years since she last played on Broadway in Violet (2014)

Not counting off-broadway, Encores, Londen and other places she performed. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#113Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 11/1/23 at 9:12am

"I'm more shocked she's replacing someone, must be the chance to do the Sondheim role. For years she swore revivals off, then went onto doing them, now even as a replacement."

Yes I think it's likely Sutton who is almost 50 knows that it is her last chance to play the role on Broadway, and that if there is another Sweeney revival in 10 years she may be too old then (if even offered the role). The same reason that I think Bernadette did "A Little Night Music" and "Hello, Dolly!". She knew it was her last chance to play the roles on Broadway.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Noideawhatimdoinghere
#114Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 11/1/23 at 10:45am

Skywalker3 said: "'Sutton is in everything' comments make no sense..

Yes she was in the Music Man last season.
Before that it was allmost 10 years since she last played on Broadway in Violet (2014)

Not counting off-broadway, Encores, Londen and other places she performed.
"

Same for Aaron. He was in Moulin Rouge but that was his first Broadway show since 2011, and between that he had also done Assassins in London and Company at Barrington Stage

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#115Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 11/1/23 at 3:12pm

I happen to think this was a good casting choice. I wasn’t an obvious move which makes it more intriguing.

Musicaldudepeter
#116Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 11/1/23 at 4:23pm

I always associated Mrs Lovett with the great character actress leading lady types like a Mary Testa, Judy Kaye, Christine Ebersole--women who always appeared 50+ even when they were 25... and Angela Lansbury, Patti LuPone, Christine Baranski, Julia McKenzie, Emma Thompson all seem to fit this mould. Ever since Bonham Carter in the movie, it's become the property of younger, prettier leading lady performers like Ashford and now Foster. I don't know. I feel like all of this miscasting actually began in 2011 when Foster did Anything Goes. Adam Feldman said it best that year - Broadway doesn't make "broads" anymore so these roles built on character leading ladies have to go to someone I guess. Now Foster is doing Mrs. Lovett. She is surely destined to do Madame Rose in the next ten years unless Audra has that sewn up already. 

RentBoy86
#117Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 11/1/23 at 8:44pm

I don’t think Sondheim would have approved.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#118Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 11/1/23 at 9:51pm

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#119Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 11/1/23 at 10:25pm

Musicaldudepeter said: "I always associated Mrs Lovett with the great character actress leading lady types like a Mary Testa, Judy Kaye, Christine Ebersole--women who always appeared 50+ even when they were 25... and Angela Lansbury, Patti LuPone, Christine Baranski, Julia McKenzie, Emma Thompson all seem to fit this mould. Ever since Bonham Carter in the movie, it's become the property of younger, prettier leading lady performers like Ashford and now Foster."

I get that Sutton Foster reads as younger, she literally starred in a TV show with that premise, but she's going to turn 49 a month into doing the role.  

For me, casting Angela Lansbury, who was perfect as Mrs. Lovett, at least in retrospect, seems like a bigger example of casting against type. The nice old lady from Murder She Wrote is turning her customers into cannibals?  

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#120Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 11/2/23 at 12:49am

Jonathan Cohen said: "For me, casting Angela Lansbury, who was perfect as Mrs. Lovett, at least in retrospect, seems like a bigger example of casting against type. The nice old lady from Murder She Wrote is turning her customers into cannibals?"

Sweeney Todd preceded Murder, She Wrote by ~4-5 years.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#121Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 11/2/23 at 9:36am

Jonathan Cohen said: "For me, casting Angela Lansbury, who was perfect as Mrs. Lovett, at least in retrospect, seems like a bigger example of casting against type. The nice old lady from Murder She Wrote is turning her customers into cannibals?"

I know what you're saying and agree, but Murder She Wrote first aired 5 years after Sweeney opened on Broadway.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#122Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 11/2/23 at 12:27pm

FANtomFollies said: "Jonathan Cohen said: "For me, casting Angela Lansbury, who was perfect as Mrs. Lovett, at least in retrospect, seems like a bigger example of casting against type. The nice old lady from Murder She Wrote is turning her customers into cannibals?"

I know what you're saying and agree, but Murder She Wrote first aired 5 years after Sweeney opened on Broadway.
"

Not only that but she played the very personification of an evil and murderous biotch in "The Manchurian Candidate". So casting her in "Sweeney Todd" wasn't that much of a stretch. Lansbury was an immensely versatile actress.

By the way, this thread goes great with popcorn! 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#123Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 11/2/23 at 12:31pm

Right? It's hilarious and I've been loving it. My favorite one today is "Sondheim would not have approved". I imagine this person sniffs before and after writing it. 

Ha. I love and miss you Carlos!!!! heart

rattleNwoolypenguin
#124Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd’
Posted: 11/2/23 at 2:23pm

I think the mistake was why not have it be Hugh as Sweeney and keep Sutton as Mrs. Lovett?

I think Hugh could really do an incredible Sweeney if this is about box office draw.

Videos