pixeltracker

We need to soundproof the theatres

We need to soundproof the theatres

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#1We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 3:18am

The back of the Belasco can hear the petty cabs right outside blasting music.  How many times have we been in a theatre and in the middle of the show, you hear an ambulance passing by.  There's so much noise pollution on the streets that the audience can hear.  They need to solve this.

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#2We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 5:20am

Unfortunately with live theater, stuff happens in the outside world.  One option is to stay home and put on your noise-canceling earphones.

ghostlight2
#3We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 6:50am

"The back of the Belasco can hear the petty cabs right outside blasting music.". 

​​​​​​​​Pedicabs.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#4We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 7:46am

Maybe when they turn Times Square into your own personal pedestrian park, the noise levels will go down and you can finally watch your shows in peace.

For real though, this is New York City. It’s loud and noise pollution is (and always has been) a thing. Just try to tune it out.

Nolan LuPone
#5We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 8:13am

This isn't an issue with the theaters, this is an issue with the pedicabs. The city of New York should be passing a law on these a-holes.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#6We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 8:36am

Couldn't you hear Phantom at the Majestic in either the Schoenfeld or Broadhurst?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#7We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 8:41am

In many cities in the world theatre is a real night out. When the show is finished, it is important to have a drink in the foyer or one of the theatre bars to talk about the show and it is part of the experience.

Therefore when you exit the auditorium, you are nowhere near the entrance/exit of the theatre. Which is ok because most people look for the bathroom or bar after the show anyway.

The auditoriums are a sacred place, of course fully soundproof and designed for an optimal experience. Theatre staff and service is a big part of the welcoming experience too. They make sure that every last person leaving has been wished a "good night" and "thank you for visiting" by the hospitality team and doorman.

In NYC I feel the vibe is totally different. It feels like fastfood theatre. No interaction with staff. Indeed, ambulances, cars and screaming outside. During the applause the doors of the auditorium open with a cold wind and you are thrown on the actual street like a piece of pulled pork. Straight from seat to street. When I first experienced this I didn't know what just happened. 50 seconds ago I was in a show and now I'm on a wet and cold road without even my jacket on. They literally slammed the wooden door behind me.

I mean, at least put some isolation in the wood to make it a bit more soundproof so audiences at least get to hear what they paid for, if nothing else.

JasonC3
#8We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 8:59am

It would be interesting to know what, if any, conversations about improving acoustics occur when theatre renovations are undertaken.  Acoustic technology and soundproofing materials for construction have improved greatly in recent years.

Updated On: 11/20/23 at 08:59 AM

hearthemsing22
#9We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 9:08am

Nolan LuPone said: "This isn't an issue with the theaters, this is an issue with the pedicabs. The city of New York should be passing a law on these a-holes."

They shouldn't be allowed to blast music outside of the theaters. Maybe they can wait outside them, but not blast music until the show lets out. Or just not allow them outside the theaters at all (wishful thinking) 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#10We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 9:23am

I don't understand the snark here –– theatre auditoriums should ABSOLUTELY be soundproof and I'm sure the landlords have done a feasibility study and there are reasons why they can't be. I've rarely seen a show at the Winter Garden where there hasn't been a siren moment, since that is sandwiched between Bway and 7th where there's a lot of traffic.

Another issue is the definition of "silence" in a Broadway house. There's generally a lot of whirring and white noise in the background (HVAC, equipment, computers, etc), more so than in a smaller theatre. And I do think this is a problem because sound designers have to design on top of white noise instead of silence, especially when the music cuts out for a book scene or an intentional moment of silence.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#11We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 9:34am

Oy, the pearl clutching.

I've never thought to myself, the show was ruined by the noise I heard outside for 4- 5 seconds. The noise registers in my head and is gone. Granted, I haven't experienced the pedicab assault, so maybe I'm too forgiving as to being in a city. 

Sure it's be nice, I guess, but I doubt most of us would actually note any change in our involvement or enjoyment.  Besides, that just makes ticket prices even higher 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

hearthemsing22
#12We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 9:53am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I don't understand the snark here –– theatre auditoriums should ABSOLUTELY be soundproof and I'm sure the landlords have done a feasibility study and there are reasons why they can't be. I've rarely seen a show at the Winter Garden where there hasn't been a siren moment, since that is sandwiched between Bway and 7th where there's a lot of traffic.

Another issue is the definition of "silence" in a Broadway house. There's generally a lot of whirring and white noise in the background (HVAC, equipment, computers, etc), more so than in a smaller theatre. And I do think this is a problem because sound designers have to design on top of white noise instead of silence, especially when the music cuts out for a book scene or an intentional moment of silence.
"

I'm sorry if my comment sounded like snark, because that was absolutely not my intention! 

hearthemsing22
#13We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 9:56am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I don't understand the snark here –– theatre auditoriums should ABSOLUTELY be soundproof and I'm sure the landlords have done a feasibility study and there are reasons why they can't be. I've rarely seen a show at the Winter Garden where there hasn't been a siren moment, since that is sandwiched between Bway and 7th where there's a lot of traffic.

"

I don't remember which show it was, but I think one time during a show there was a quiet moment, a siren went by and an actor somehow incorporated that into the show. I don't remember what show or if maybe I'm making this up? Hmm. 

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#14We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 10:05am

dramamama611 said: "Oy, the pearl clutching.

I've never thought to myself, the show was ruined by the noise I heard outside for 4- 5 seconds. The noise registers in my head and is gone. Granted, I haven't experienced the pedicab assault, so maybe I'm too forgiving as to being in a city.

Sure it's be nice, I guess, but I doubt most of us would actually note any change in our involvement or enjoyment. Besides, that just makes ticket prices even higher
"

I hate dismissing genuine complains as "pearl clutching". Get over yourself.

And that last sentence, that's the issue these autistic actors in H2DIO are learning to deal with. It's hard enough to register abrupt audible changes in your enviroment. That's even harder when you're on a Broadway stage.

Have a little understanding and compassion.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#15We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 10:05am

A friend just sent this to me

https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/ban-pedicabs-in-times-square-theatre-district?source=rawlink&utm_source=rawlink&share=53aaa79f-9a37-466d-871e-e969b8ac9659

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#16We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 10:18am

Voter said: "A friend just sent this to me

https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/ban-pedicabs-in-times-square-theatre-district?source=rawlink&utm_source=rawlink&share=53aaa79f-9a37-466d-871e-e969b8ac9659
"

Ah, yes. The "reign of terror"

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#17We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 10:23am

The issue is most of these theaters are a century old (or older!) and many have doors that open directly onto the street. They would require a great deal of renovation to be soundproofed to 2023 standards- which would cost a fortune and take them out of commission for months. They can’t just slap some insulation on a wall and call it job done. It would likely require opening up and redoing large parts of these buildings, not to mention new doors and more. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JSquared2
#18We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 10:58am

Broadway Flash said: "The back of the Belasco can hear the petty cabs right outside blasting music. How many times have we been in a theatre and in the middle of the show, you hear an ambulance passing by. There's so much noise pollution on the streets that the audience can hear. They need to solve this."

Yeah, they'll get right on that as soon as they finish building all of the outdoor pubic spaces and parks in the theatre district that you keep whining about.

JSquared2
#19We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 11:02am

Voter said: "A friend just sent this to me

"

Awesome.  Cuz when has an online petition NOT worked to bring about change??

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#20We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 11:17am

Was the “petty” intentional? Lol, because they for sure are petty.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#21We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 12:07pm

It would take a lot of time and money for those extensive renovations. Soundproofing such old buildings is no joke, and as long as people are filling the theaters, it will never even be a conversation.

But, those aggressive pedicab drivers who scream at you while blasting their music at the same time? The WORST. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#22We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 12:19pm

Semi related, but soundproofing auditoriums isn't exclusive to Broadway: when I saw Killers of the Flower Moon and Priscilla, there were multiple quiet moments where you could hear the Taylor Swift concert film thumping next door!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#23We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 12:59pm

We are asking The Broadway League, the Times Square Alliance, and our city representatives to finally sit down and discuss what can be done to stop this reign of terror.

Someone needs to read the news. Immediately. What an embarrassing, ignorant "petition". Where would this person want people to go that depend on tourism? The f*cking Grand Concourse in the Bronx? Jesus Christ. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#24We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 1:14pm

That petition no longer seems to be available.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JSquared2
#25We need to soundproof the theatres
Posted: 11/20/23 at 1:29pm

Kad said: "That petition no longer seems to be available."

Guess it solved the problem and was no longer necessary!