Broadway Flash
#1Next to close?
Posted: 12/24/23 at 10:21pm

What do you think will close next?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#2Next to close?
Posted: 12/24/23 at 10:41pm

Kimberly Akimbo, How to Dance in Ohio, and Harmony all seem to be the most in danger of closing.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BdwyFan
#3Next to close?
Posted: 12/25/23 at 12:11am

Guessing how to dance unless there’s a billionaire producer who can keep it open until Tony nominations? It’s happened before.  

Theatrefanboy1
#4Next to close?
Posted: 12/25/23 at 12:35am

I agree How To Dance in Ohio, Kimberly Akimbo, and Harmony… possibly Beautiful Noise as well.   The rest I anticipate (with the exception of limited runs) to be open at the time of Tonys

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#5Next to close?
Posted: 12/25/23 at 5:08am

Any idea if there’s a chance some of those closing notices could come this week?  I have tickets to see Harmony in a few weeks.  My tickets are for mid January.  

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6Next to close?
Posted: 12/25/23 at 6:03am

There's no telling how much notice a show gives with a closing notice.  It will largely depend on if the theater has a tenant lined up to get in there, amongst other things.

Mid - Jan? I think you've got about a 50/50 chance. Which is not a helpful guess... I'd suggest choosing your back up, so can move quickly, just in case. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BorisTomashevsky
#7Next to close?
Posted: 12/25/23 at 10:22am

I’m thinking Harmony and Ohio close on the same day. 

Falsettolands
#8Next to close?
Posted: 12/25/23 at 12:01pm

Some Like It Hot

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#9Next to close?
Posted: 12/25/23 at 1:46pm

Hadestown also seems to be on thes struggle bus.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#10Next to close?
Posted: 12/25/23 at 4:02pm

If Kimberly is still running by Spring, I’d be surprised 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#11Next to close?
Posted: 12/25/23 at 4:06pm

If Kimberly is still running by Spring, I’d be surpris

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#12Next to close?
Posted: 12/26/23 at 5:45pm

My parents got the 3 of us tickets (upcoming, dates TBD) to How To Dance In Ohio for Christmas. Really, really hope they can hold out for a while (I'm autistic so eager to see the representation) but I would be lying if I said the numbers didn't worry me...

Also, for anyone saying Hadestown, they've been in $700,000+ range, give or take, with capacity in the 90s, average ticket price around $100. Granted, I don't know what the operating costs are, but I think that (for now at least) Hadestown is just fine.

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#13Next to close?
Posted: 12/26/23 at 6:12pm

Harmony & Ohio will close in January. Kimberly another month or so making 3 houses avail for the spring season I bet

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

chrishuyen
#14Next to close?
Posted: 12/26/23 at 10:20pm

I think Hadestown is okay for now and will at least give a chance for Ani DiFranco to see what numbers she can pull.  Since it's already recouped, they could probably stay afloat for a bit, and they just released a new block of tickets too, which I doubt would mean they're in danger of closing within the next 2 months at least.

The holiday numbers for Harmony and How to Dance in Ohio are looking pretty dismal.  I'd be curious to see how much of the audience for Ohio is using the $50 promotion, but either way the capacity percentage for both shows are scarily low, and it seems like if they can't find their audience within the next month or so, they'd have to pack it up.

Leisie93
#15Next to close?
Posted: 12/26/23 at 10:31pm

Could Kimberly and How To Dance be kept alive thanks to small budgets? I don’t think the same could be said for Harmony.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#16Next to close?
Posted: 12/26/23 at 11:35pm

No one’s mentioned Sweeney Todd yet? That one’s probably gone by early April at the latest (but at least it’s recouped already). 

Oh look, a bibu!

BoringBoredBoard40
#17Next to close?
Posted: 12/26/23 at 11:37pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "No one’s mentionedSweeney Toddyet? That one’s probably gone by early April at the latest (but at least it’s recouped already)."

Sweeney Todd isn't going anywhere before Labor day

OhHiii
#18Next to close?
Posted: 12/27/23 at 11:16am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "No one’s mentionedSweeney Toddyet? That one’s probably gone by early April at the latest (but at least it’s recouped already)."

"

Sweeney Todd is closing on May 5th after Aaron and Sutton’s contracts are up. There’s a tenant for the Lunt lined up for Fall 2024.

Also, your regular reminder that shows releasing new blocks of tickets means zero for its longevity. I think Hadestown may eke it out until next Labor Day, but that’ll be a stretch.

The sure bets to close are definitely How to Dance and Harmony. Whether they do so in January or try to see what they can make during Broadway week and close in February remains to be seen, but both the Barrymore and Belasco will have empty stages ready to welcome a new tenant by March. It’s unfortunate that the “timeliness” of Harmony is likely a major factor in keeping people away from it. That combined with its poor reviews is a recipe for a short run. 

How to Dance is just a lesson in inexperience. It’s like once Prince passed, they didn’t think to involve *anyone* who’s done this before on Broadway from producing, designers, the vast majority of the cast. They seem to have made a lot of changes through previews, but still what is on stage feels like a first preview. At the end of the day, we want new voices and fresh takes on Broadway, but you're still asking audiences to pay more than $100 per person in most cases (albeit not in How to Dance’s case given they’ve had to do a new discount scheme every week it seems like just to move the seats they’ve been successful in selling). If your product does not live up to the value for money people are paying, it’s toast. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#19Next to close?
Posted: 12/27/23 at 5:36pm

OhHiii said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "No one’s mentionedSweeney Toddyet? That one’s probably gone by early April at the latest (but at least it’s recouped already)."

"

Sweeney Todd is closing on May 5th after Aaron and Sutton’s contracts are up. There’s a tenant for the Lunt lined up for Fall 2024.

So the theater is going to just sit empty for four months right before summer, makes total sense

Theatrefanboy1
#20Next to close?
Posted: 12/27/23 at 6:18pm

See if i was to guess they will run one more “star” combo. And close in September. 

I believe the same approach will be taken With Cabaret. Eddie will wrap in September and they’ll do two more combos. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#21Next to close?
Posted: 12/27/23 at 6:28pm

Cabaret can (and will) just recycle past London leads. They should be fine for years despite the insane price tag the production has. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#22Next to close?
Posted: 12/27/23 at 6:50pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Cabaretcan (and will) just recycle past London leads. They should be fine for years despite the insane price tag the production has."

As far as star power goes, the London production has not cast anyone as a replacement who is even remotely comparable to Redmayne/Buckley. None of those people would sell out the Broadway production for weeks at a time unless they have a major career turnaround prior to replacing.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#23Next to close?
Posted: 12/27/23 at 7:18pm

Theatrefanboy1 said: "See if i was to guess they will run one more “star” combo. And close in September.

I believe the same approach will be taken With Cabaret. Eddie will wrap in September and they’ll do two more combos.
"

We'll see how far they get, but Cabaret intends to be the next long runner. They're definitely going to be aiming for more than just two more pairs. 

I disagree that they'll be bringing back London pairings though. I think they'll be looking for people American audiences will be interested in. 

OhHiii
#24Next to close?
Posted: 12/28/23 at 12:27pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "OhHiii said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "No one’s mentionedSweeney Toddyet? That one’s probably gone by early April at the latest (but at least it’s recouped already)."

"

So the theater is going to just sit empty for four months right before summer, makes total sense

"

This happens quite literally ALL the time. Every year. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#25Next to close?
Posted: 12/28/23 at 12:44pm

OhHiii said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "OhHiii said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "No one’s mentionedSweeney Toddyet? That one’s probably gone by early April at the latest (but at least it’s recouped already)."

"

"

This happens quite literally ALL the time. Every year."

yes it totally does when a show is in profit and making well over a million a week