pixeltracker

Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway- Page 2

Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway

simplecactus
#25Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 5:47pm

JSquared2 said: "BdwayLife said: "BdwayLife said: "I checked the show’s official website, and there is no indication of Jeremy or Eva’s performance schedule—do you folks think that they will perform Wednesday and Saturday matinees during previews in April?"

UPDATE: I called Telecharge this morning, and they have no information. I’m assuming that unless otherwise stated, Jeremy and Eva will be on for the matinees—I just picked up a ticket for the Wednesday, April 17th matinee. Eva was out when I saw Miss Saigon, and it’s been my dream to see her live. I’ve been a fan of Jeremy’s for a long time. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)
"

Eva's track record for missing shows at both SAIGON and HADESTOWN was terrible (far worse than Lindsay Mendez is being castigated for). I don't know if she has the stamina for an 8-performance week on any show.

"

I have to disagree here. I’ve seen Hadestown 16 times all prior to Eva leaving. Of those 16, I’ve seen 3 understudies. Perhaps I’ve lucked out but Eva was in the majority of shows for Hadestown, outside of illness or previously scheduled events. She isn’t one to call out just because. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#26Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 6:35pm

I really enjoyed it at paper mill but I had two issues I hope they fix.  All the big chorus numbers are terrible. They need to replace them with good songs. The pick yourself up red white and blue number in the second act was especially awful. The choreo and costumes for the ensemble also sucked. I also want to see Gatsby and daisys relationship blossom.  Theres so much else going on in the story that they’re not on stage together for that long. 

Updated On: 1/21/24 at 06:35 PM

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#27Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 1/18/24 at 10:23am

It'd be nice if they made this production more immersive. In small ways, like encouraging the audience to wear 1920s dress. Probably not gonna happen, but it is possible. Paul Mescal made his stage debut as Jay Gatsby in 2017, and it went down very well.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Broadway Flash
#28Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 1/21/24 at 5:20am

I also would like this to be semi immersive.  I think Here Lies love cracked the code on how to use the broadway theatre, which is to bring the action out to the audience.  I think they should pull the stage out into the theatre, kinda like the beaumont, making it closer to the mezz, and take away a few rows, making it more intimate.  i hope they restage a lot of it.  the show needs a lot more jazz and roaring 20s vibes all around. and get warren carlyle to do the choreo. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#29Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 1/21/24 at 8:19am

Broadway Flash said: "I also would like this to be semi immersive. I think Here Lies love cracked the code on how to use the broadway theatre, which is to bring the action out to the audience. I think they should pull the stage out into the theatre, kinda like the beaumont, making it closer to the mezz, and take away a few rows, making it more intimate. i hope they restage a lot of it. the show needs a lot more jazz and roaring 20s vibes all around. and get warren carlyle to do the choreo."

I wouldn't expect a lot (if any) re-staging to happen with the design and physical production... and definitely none to the extent you are suggesting... In terms of the physical production, this will most likely be a direct transfer of the Paper Mill production with maybe a few simple scenic enhancements here and there if we are lucky. As for the book and score, I wouldn't expect a ton of changes there either.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Broadway Flash
#30Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 1/21/24 at 9:01am

If this is pretty much the same thing at paper mill with some minor tweaks, that will really be a pity. It has so much potential to be really fantastic. I think it’s already good, but not great. And certainly not dazzling. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#31Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 1/21/24 at 9:54am

I really dont like immersive theater.   If I wanted to be involved, I'd still be an actor.

I get "immersed" when the show speaks to me, because it's good, meaningful, and truly creates the world of the play. 

Note to Flash: a THRUST STAGE is what you are referring to (like at the Beaumont)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Broadway Flash
#32Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 1/21/24 at 10:11am

Yes I know what a thrust stage is but that wasn’t exactly what I was describing. I’ve seen sets before where the stage is further out, but the audience is not on three sides. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#33Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 1/21/24 at 11:26am

Do you mean an end stage, which has losts of space in front of the proscenium (the apron)?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 1/21/24 at 11:26 AM

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#34Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 1/21/24 at 7:16pm

Anyone else bothered by the press photo of all 4 people toasting with empty glasses?!?!?

Broadway Flash
#35Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 1/21/24 at 8:36pm

Yeah maybe an end stage or a thrust stage with the orchestra on the sides instead of seats. Or even a real thrust would be good for something like Gatsby

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#36Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 1/21/24 at 9:38pm

If only someone came up with an immersive Great Gatsby!  It would run forever...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#37Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 1/21/24 at 9:45pm

They legit just had an immersive Gatsby in nyc. Not sure if it’s still running. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#38Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 1/21/24 at 10:13pm

Seeing this horrid show opening night was immersive enough for me. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#39Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 2/19/24 at 4:16pm

Several new faces in the ensemble of the Broadway company:

• Traci Elaine Lee (Shucked)
  • Ryah Nixon (Once Upon a One More Time)
  • Kayla Pecchioni (Some Like It Hot)
  • Dave Schoonover (Bad Cinderella)
  • Derek Jordan Taylor (Funny Girl)

Of the six swings that were also announced today, only one of them worked on this Gatsby at Paper Mill.

Oh look, a bibu!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#40Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 2/19/24 at 5:13pm

The Papermill production only had two swings I believe.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#41Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 2/19/24 at 6:07pm

It'll be cool to see a different cast. I will say though, that the ensemble at Paper Mill slayed their performances with their dancing. Definitely looking forward to seeing the show again and just hope they made some changes from Paper Mill. I'll be at the First Preview, so it'll likely be a freaking rock concert!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#42Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 3/10/24 at 5:08pm

A music video for "My Green Light" will premiere on Tuesday. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#43Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 3/10/24 at 6:02pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "A music video for "My Green Light" will premiere on Tuesday."

Exciting! Probably one of my favorite songs from the show. This might also mean that a cast album has been made. Who knows?

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Broadway Flash
#44Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 3/10/24 at 6:06pm

I saw Eva and reeve and Sam pauly at Jonah yesterday.  Obviously watching their co stars wonderful performance. John Zdrojeski he’s fantastic in Gatsby as well as Jonah!

flord10
#46Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/24 at 10:54am

Is it just me or is there no linked video in that article?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#47Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/24 at 10:55am

flord10 said: "Is it just me or is there no linked video in that article?"

No linked video for me either...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#48Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/24 at 11:38am

It's at the very bottom of the article [easy to lose it amongst the photos]: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx_MFlluTYo

They both have never sounded better and I really love this song (despite it being pretty basic). 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 3/12/24 at 11:38 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#49Paper Mill’s THE GREAT GATSBY musical will transfer to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/24 at 1:24pm

There's a melodic passage of that song that reminds me way too much of "Mister, you're fired / Guess who I hired? / To represent meeee"

Videos