pixeltracker

SLAVE PLAY headed to London?- Page 2

SLAVE PLAY headed to London?

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#25SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/28/24 at 10:05pm

I'd more excited about Fisayo Akinade who's been in a bunch of stuff.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#26SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/28/24 at 10:49pm

everythingtaboo said: "I'd more excited about Fisayo Akinade who's been in a bunch of stuff."

I saw him in The Crucible in the West End last summer. He's an incredible actor. I have no doubt he will do well in this play. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

TimeToStartLivin
#27SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/28/24 at 11:21pm

FIVE years? That's generous.

houseleft

TimeToStartLivin
#28SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/29/24 at 12:05am

The TONYS came during Covid when few shows were open. Slave Play was an anomaly and to claim the nominations, while true, are really misleading. Saying it was a "huge Broadway hit" is also really poor reporting. Slave Play couldn't give tickets away. They hardly could sell out 1/4 of the house, and that only through the dedication (misguided, I'd say) of its producers who seemed OK to lose money in the name of supporting a new black Yale wunderkind playwright who happened to write a ****ty play but sold the producers on his brand of koolaid. It was a precocious ego effort at best. What has he done since? And this "Black Out" **** for "safety" for black audiences, and "free from the White gaze"? What the hell is that? Why is no one calling out this racism at its worst? And making the show affordable to underprivileged people? They could not give tickets away in NY. No one wanted to see the show. Curious to see who will buy the 30 pay-what-you-can tickets and 10 seats priced at £20. WOW! 40 tickets !!!!!!! I hope the London audience and press eviscerates this show both for its racism and how crappy the show is.

houseleft

BoringBoredBoard40
#29SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/29/24 at 3:00am

TimeToStartLivin said: "The TONYS cameduring Covid when few shows were open. Slave Play was an anomaly and to claim the nominations, while true, are really misleading. Saying it was a "huge Broadway hit" is also really poor reporting. Slave Play couldn't give tickets away. They hardly could sell out 1/4 of the house, and that only through the dedication (misguided, I'd say) of its producers who seemed OK tolose money in the name of supporting a new black Yale wunderkind playwright who happened to write a ****ty play but sold the producers on his brand of koolaid.Itwas a precocious ego effort at best. What has he done since? And this "Black Out"**** for "safety" for black audiences, and "free from the White gaze"? What the hell is that? Why is no one calling out this racism at its worst?And making the show affordable to underprivileged people? They could not give tickets away in NY. No one wanted to see the show. Curious to see who will buy the 30 pay-what-you-can tickets and 10 seats priced at£20. WOW! 40 tickets !!!!!!! I hope the London audienceand press eviscerates this show both for its racism and how crappy the show is."

who hurt you my guy?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#30SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/29/24 at 5:49am

Surely someone could have thought of a phrase less inflammatory and divisive as ‘free from the white gaze’. I’m quite sure the audience gaze will be on what is on stage and not other audience members. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

blasvader
#31SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/29/24 at 7:30am

I don't think O' Harris is very interested in trying to at least, appear as appeasing. Moreover, this-gaze and that-gaze are very common terms now, used for so many things. Can't believe people are responding to Daily Heil articles. 

JasonC3
#32SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/29/24 at 8:07am

Any BIPOC can tell you about the code switching white gaze sometimes causes us to do in order to be accepted or heard and how we may speak more freely and authentically in its absence just as some gay men have long felt the need to "butch in up " in some situations to get accepted. 

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#33SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/29/24 at 11:27am

TimeToStartLivin said: "Why is no one calling out this racism at its worst?"

Setting aside two performances of one play out of a three-month run is racism at its worst? Are you really prepared to defend that claim?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#34SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/29/24 at 11:36am

O’Harris is best at getting a reaction and it looks like he’s succeeded once again. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#35SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/29/24 at 12:42pm

TimeToStartLivin said: "The TONYS cameduring Covid when few shows were open. Slave Play was an anomaly and to claim the nominations, while true, are really misleading. Saying it was a "huge Broadway hit" is also really poor reporting. Slave Play couldn't give tickets away. They hardly could sell out 1/4 of the house, and that only through the dedication (misguided, I'd say) of its producers who seemed OK tolose money in the name of supporting a new black Yale wunderkind playwright who happened to write a ****ty play but sold the producers on his brand of koolaid.Itwas a precocious ego effort at best. What has he done since? And this "Black Out"**** for "safety" for black audiences, and "free from the White gaze"? What the hell is that? Why is no one calling out this racism at its worst?And making the show affordable to underprivileged people? They could not give tickets away in NY. No one wanted to see the show. Curious to see who will buy the 30 pay-what-you-can tickets and 10 seats priced at£20. WOW! 40 tickets !!!!!!! I hope the London audienceand press eviscerates this show both for its racism and how crappy the show is."

rac·ism

/ˈrāˌsiz(ə)m/

noun

1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

"a program to combat racism"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#36SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/29/24 at 12:46pm

I'm starting to think that this whole thing is/was a publicity stunt lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2024/feb/29/no-10-condemns-london-theatre-for-hosting-black-out-nights

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#37SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/29/24 at 12:58pm

binau said: "I'm starting to think that this whole thing is/was a publicity stunt lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2024/feb/29/no-10-condemns-london-theatre-for-hosting-black-out-nights
"

"To be absolutely clear, no one will be prevented or precluded from attending any performance of Slave Play." –– the producers of the show in that article

It's been done on other shows with little controversy. The wording surrounding it may be poorly done. They're simply encouraging Black audiences to attend those nights. It's a larger-scale version of "Girls Nights Out" or "LGBTQ Night" or "Student Matinees" or other things that have been done for decades at theatres around the world, where people from certain groups are encouraged to attend and it offers a sense of community. 

The nonsense surrounding this initiative is fairly stupid, but as we know, the Right likes to make a mountain out of a molehill.

lopside
#38SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/29/24 at 1:00pm

binau said: "I'm starting to think that this whole thing is/was a publicity stunt lol:

"

Except, as mentioned in the article, this has been done before in London, for an O'Harris play also. It's just a big star this time around, so more people noticed. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#39SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/29/24 at 1:06pm

He did black out nights on Broadway so it makes sense he would repeat that in the UK.

And this "Black Out" **** for "safety" for black audiences, and "free from the White gaze"? What the hell is that? Why is no one calling out this racism at its worst? And making the show affordable to underprivileged people?

Tell me you're white and clueless without telling me you're white and clueless. And damn those affordable tickets for people who otherwise couldn't attend the theater, they are the WORST! And for people triggered that they are excluded from two performances in the entire run? Get a life. No, seriously. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#40SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/29/24 at 1:23pm

"Tell me you're white and clueless"  - god - is this the level of argument that is considered not just acceptable but even morally virtuous in the USA today? Imagine if you said "Tell me you're black and clueless" in response to something someone said. It feels ugly to be using people's race in an insult, and I'm pretty sure in a couple decades we will look back on these times and be shocked at how we spoke to each other, and use it as an example of how not to create a healthy functioning diverse inclusive society. I realise you're probably not actually looking to change anyone's mind and you're just enjoying speaking like that anonymously over the internet, but if you do you really do need to respond to the actual points. 

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#41SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 2/29/24 at 1:40pm

binau said: ""Tell me you're white and clueless" -god - is this the level of argument that is considered not just acceptable but even morally virtuous in the USA today? Imagine if you said "Tell me you're black and clueless" in response to something someone said. It feels ugly to be using people's race in an insult, and I'm pretty sure in a couple decades we will look back on these times and be shocked at how we spoke to each other, and use it as an example of how not to create a healthy functioning diverse inclusive society.I realise you're probably not actually looking to change anyone's mind and you're just enjoying speaking like that anonymously over the internet, but if you do you really do need to respond to the actual points."

Except black people don't have a centuries long history of oppressing white people. So it's really apples and oranges.

It's also amazing seeing people complain they are excluded from a night or two of a show they have absolutely no interest in seeing. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#42SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 3/1/24 at 8:43am

Sutton Ross said: "He did black out nights on Broadway so it makes sense he would repeat that in the UK.

And this "Black Out"**** for "safety" for black audiences, and "free from the White gaze"? What the hell is that? Why is no one calling out this racism at its worst?And making the show affordable to underprivileged people?

Tell me you're white and clueless without telling me you're white and clueless. And damn those affordable tickets for people who otherwise couldn't attend the theater, they are the WORST! And for people triggered that they are excluded from two performances in the entire run? Get a life. No, seriously.
"

To be fair, and I’ve not looked at tickets to this show, but the west end is VERY affordable. I saw the best musical winner for $10. And I saw guys and dolls for $35. But anyway, I don’t think it’s a big deal at all. I think people are just triggered by the “white gaze” of it all 

Ensemble1671566276
#43SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 3/1/24 at 8:46am

The people complaining were NEVER going to watch this in the first place. I can't believe that a rag like DM still manages to get so much attention. Was anyone even aware of the moaners before that article got published?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#44SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 3/1/24 at 9:40am

Now PM Rishi Sunak has weighed in for some reason. Who could ask for better marketing?

I don’t think the play itself should be particularly controversial nor is it particularly as incisive or insightful as it presents itself, which is why so much of its “controversy” on Broadway mostly centered around things like audience behavior and Jeremy O. Harris himself. Oddly, I don’t remember the “Black Out” performances being an issue here. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 3/1/24 at 09:40 AM

PipingHotPiccolo
#45SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 3/1/24 at 9:46am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "binau said: "I'm starting to think that this whole thing is/was a publicity stunt lol:

"

"To be absolutely clear, no one will be prevented or precluded from attending any performance of Slave Play." –– the producers of the show in that article

It's been done on other shows with little controversy. The wording surrounding it may be poorly done. They're simply encouraging Black audiences to attend those nights. It's a larger-scale version of "Girls Nights Out" or "LGBTQ Night" or "Student Matinees" or other things that have been done for decades at theatres around the world, where people from certain groups are encouraged to attend and it offers a sense of community.

The nonsense surrounding this initiative is fairly stupid, but as we know, the Right likes to make a mountain out of a molehill.
"

the Right likes to make the mountain, yes, but sometimes the Left wants it to. This is a publicity stunt, of course, because there can be no such thing as "no White people allowed to buy tickets tonight"- how would they enforce that? its preposterous--and so it really is just a way to encourage/welcome Black theatergoers to special performances. Its harmless.

AND SO THEREFORE Jeremy O Harris has smartly/intentionally marketed it to be something it isnt, to get headlines, and piss off the usual pearl-clutchers, and rally the woke troops. And on it goes.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#46SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 3/1/24 at 10:30am

RippedMan said: "...But anyway, I don’t think it’s a big deal at all. I think people are just triggered by the “white gaze” of it all"

Yes, I think that had the announcement not included that "free from the white gaze" bit, there wouldn't be such a negative reaction. You can celebrate Blackness and create a special event for Black people without sh*tting on White people. This sort of thing was all the rage in 2020/2021, but at this point it's getting pretty tiresome. If they had just left that phrase out, it would have been fine.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#47SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 3/1/24 at 10:47am

"Oddly, I don’t remember the “Black Out” performances being an issue here."

I assume it's a combination of more publicity for this one due to cast involved, the use of 'white gaze' which I would say is pretty race-baity and also I want to emphasise that the UK is not the US. People don't seem to always understand that many of the US concepts and issues around race (for example) do not necessarily apply or resonate well when exported to the rest of the world.

Too often I think Americans have a tendency to believe that their way of thinking should make its way everywhere or is even relevant for other countries. There also seems to be this odd homogenous treatment of black people in Western countries as if the issues are the same. While there are similarities, there are big differences between the history and experience of black people across US, UK, Australia/NZ and Europe. The USA Black African American experience is something very specific to the USA, and exporting ideas around this elsewhere on this should probably be done more carefully than it is now. 

Updated On: 3/1/24 at 10:47 AM

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#48SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 3/1/24 at 12:47pm

People over there are saying this is a play about slavery.  Lol

it also seems more taboo over there to do something like this.  American audiences are accustomed to affirmative action and other policies of the like.  England I guess they’re more idealistic. 

Broadway61004
#49SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
Posted: 3/1/24 at 1:01pm

I could care less about having those special nights, but I do find it interesting that a show whose entire conceptual design revolved around having mirrors across the stage so that everyone could watch themselves and others watching the play is now suddenly concerned about anyone's gaze.

Videos