pixeltracker

Disney developing TANGLED stage musical

Disney developing TANGLED stage musical

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/13/24 at 10:38am

Actors’ Equity Votes to Authorize Strike Over Developmental Work – The Hollywood Reporter

There are currently no future scheduled days for negotiations, and, at the moment, developmental work is continuing as scheduled. 

Workshops of the musical adaptation of Smash, which is holding performances in front of recruited audiences, are currently still scheduled to go forward later this week. However, if a strike were to be called, this could be impacted, as could upcoming developmental work, including Take the Lead, The Lost Boys and Tangled.

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#2Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/13/24 at 10:41am

Should be Encanto

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/13/24 at 10:43am

bwaylyric said: "Should be Encanto"

I'm sure it'll happen eventually. They can't all happen at the same time.

Moana has also remained one of Disney's hottest streaming properties (and now they're doing a film sequel with a score by Emily Bear & Abby Barlow).

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#4Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/13/24 at 12:05pm

Is Donna Murphy gonna play Mother Gothel again?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/13/24 at 12:23pm

Broadway Flash said: "Is Donna Murphy gonna play Mother Gothel again?"

I sure hope so! But this could also be getting developed for licensing/touring (like they did with Freaky Friday and planned to do with Newsies) instead of a proper Broadway run. Frozen showed us that Disney can't really have more than 2 successful shows running at a time, and Hercules is in the pipeline. I don't think Tangled has nearly the same brand value as Hercules, Moana, Encanto, or Frozen.

Who's directing the workshop, and who's writing the book?

Updated On: 2/13/24 at 12:23 PM

verywellthensigh
#6Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/13/24 at 12:25pm

My tired is tired. 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#7Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/14/24 at 8:46am

To a certain degree, this isn't 100% new news. There has been a stage version of Tangled playing on Disney Cruise Line since 2015. Alan Menken, and Glenn Slater wrote 3 new songs for the show. IIRC, there was a video or interview with Alan Menken when this was in production talking about, this giving him, Slater, and Disney a chance to see what an expanded show could be like.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Tuna2
#8Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/14/24 at 9:03am

bwaylyric said: "Should be Encanto"

Totally agree!!

Chaz Hands
#9Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/14/24 at 10:02am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Broadway Flash said: "Is Donna Murphy gonna play Mother Gothel again?"

I sure hope so! But this could also be getting developed for licensing/touring (like they did with Freaky Friday and plannedto do with Newsies) instead of a proper Broadway run. Frozen showed us that Disney can't really have more than 2 successful shows running at a time, and Hercules is in the pipeline. I don't think Tangled hasnearlythe same brand value as Hercules, Moana, Encanto, or Frozen.

Who's directing the workshop, and who's writing the book?
"

Why do we think Disney can’t have more than 2 shows running at a time? The Lion King’s numbers are always solid, and I never see much adjusting on their part. Would a 3rd show really affect the numbers for Aladdin that much? 

I know the guy from Disney Theatrical Group said that, but I felt like it was a “pageant answer” to cover up the fact that Frozen underperformed.

Just because Frozen didn’t meet their expectations, (I still thought it did decent lmao) doesn’t mean that Hercules, Tangled, Coco, or The Princess Bride won’t be successful, if they’re good shows.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#10Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/14/24 at 10:18am

Let's not forget that magical time from November 2006-July 2007, when Disney had 4 shows running on Broadway, and the Nederlanders had a third of their theatres filled with Disney.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#11Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/14/24 at 10:43am

Here’s a pro-shot of the full Disney Cruise Line incarnation:

BETTY22
#12Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/14/24 at 11:07am

This is a great idea.......Disney doesn't rush on - they will have done their market research before moving forward with this

RWPrincess
#13Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/14/24 at 11:44am

Show issues aside, part of the issue with FROZEN was that it gives the perception that it's for little kids. So adults only groups shy away and parents bring the kids once and don't come back. So I don't think running 3 shows at once is an issue if they're the right shows. And technically Moulin Rouge is also under the Disney umbrella via Buena Vista Theatrical so they do have 3 shows currently running on Broadway.

Personally, I've always liked Tangled better than Frozen and I think it will appeal to more adults too. I do hope that the BATB revival comes to Broadway first though.

amiyagi
#14Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/14/24 at 12:42pm

Surely they have Greatest Showman in the works as well. It seems pretty stage appropriate and it was featured as part of the Disney on Broadway series at Epcot's Festival of the Arts this year. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#15Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/14/24 at 12:54pm

It's not that a third show impacted ALADDIN, it's that FROZEN wasn't a strong enough draw when you also have ALADDIN and LION KING as stronger options in the marketplace. I don't think any show mentioned in this thread would find greater success than Frozen under similar circumstances (with the exception of Princess Bride, which is kind of its own thing and not based on a Disney Animation title, and there's been radio silence for years). Broadway's quite a lot different now than in the days when Lion King, Beauty, Poppins, and Tarzan were all running simultaneously.

Besides, the road and internationally are where these Disney shows can make the real money. I don't think there's any shame in a Disney show not making it to Broadway unless the written material and production values are truly exceptional.

Chaz Hands
#16Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/14/24 at 1:00pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "It's not that a third show impacted ALADDIN, it's that FROZEN wasn't a strong enough draw when you also have ALADDIN and LION KING as stronger options in the marketplace. I don't thinkanyshow mentioned in this thread would find greater success than Frozen under similar circumstances (with the exception of Princess Bride, which is kind of its own thing and not based on a Disney Animation title, and there's been radio silence for years). Broadway's quite a lot different now than in the days when Lion King, Beauty, Poppins, and Tarzan were all running simultaneously.

Besides, the road and internationally are where these Disney shows can make the real money. I don't think there's any shame in a Disney shownotmaking it to Broadway unless the written material and production values are truly exceptional.
"

The only reason I mentioned The Princess Bride was that Rick Elice has it listed first in his bio for Water for Elephants:

”In the pipeline: The Princess Bride and Smash, co-written with Bob Martin; Silver Linings Playbook, a musical adaptation of the popular film; The Marvels, a musical adaptation of the popular novel; and Treasure, an original musical written with 2021 Ed Kleban Award-winner Benjamin Scheuer.”

So it seems like they are still working on it under wraps.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/14/24 at 2:00pm

I'd be thrilled to see the Princess Bride musical on stage!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#18Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/14/24 at 2:02pm

Is David Yazbek still attached to The Princess Bride?

Oh look, a bibu!

BwayLB
#19Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/15/24 at 9:25am

One 2000’s Disney movie that would be good for Broadway is Brother Bear.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#20Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/15/24 at 10:01am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I'd be thrilled to see the Princess Bride musical on stage!"

This.

This is all I will ever ask for. It's so very over the top from the novel to the film, it just SCREAMS, " I SHOULD BE A MUSICAL! "

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SporkGoddess
#21Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/15/24 at 12:07pm

Tangled is not only my favorite Disney movie next to BatB, I also really enjoyed the cruise show far more than I thought I would (I watched the filmed version back during COVID). I think that, while it needs work, it would serve as an excellent foundation for a full stage production.

Also, are Derek Klena and Taylor Louderman available? Lol

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 2/15/24 at 12:07 PM

Thunder Storm
#22Disney developing TANGLED stage musical
Posted: 2/22/24 at 3:03pm

You have a point, fashionguru_23. It makes me wonder how much different the Broadway version might be.

Updated On: 2/22/24 at 03:03 PM