pixeltracker

ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24- Page 2

ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24

yyys
#25ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 10:45am

This was spectacular at the Armory. I got teary eyed during The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts. I do hope it snags best choreography.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#26ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 10:51am

God bless these poor dancers’ bodies. They’re performing 8 shows between April 24th and 27th. 4 two-show days almost in a row. Woof.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#27ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 10:55am

ColorTheHours048 said: "God bless these poor dancers’ bodies. They’re performing 8 shows between April 24th and 27th. 4 two-show days almost in a row. Woof."

It looks like they're doing that to satisfy the Tony rules requirement that shows opening this close to the eligibility cutoff make available 8 performances prior to the Tony meeting.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 3/19/24 at 10:55 AM

KingGeorgeIII
#28ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 10:56am

I hope Robbie Fairchild will pick up his second Tony Nomination, this time for Featured Actor in a Musical. It truly is an ensemble piece, but he stood out most to me among the individual performers. The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts, led by Fairchild, was the show's strongest number.

ColorTheHours048
#29ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 10:58am

Kad said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "God bless these poor dancers’ bodies. They’re performing 8 shows between April 24th and 27th. 4 two-show days almost in a row. Woof."

It looks like they're doing that to satisfy the Tony rules requirement that shows opening this close to the eligibility cutoff make available 8 performances prior to the Tony meeting.
"

Of course. But ouch. Literally.

ColorTheHours048
#30ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 10:59am

KingGeorgeIII said: "I hope Robbie Fairchild will pick up his second Tony Nomination, this time for Featured Actor in a Musical. It truly is an ensemble piece, but he stood out most to me among the individual performers. The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts, led by Fairchild, was the show's strongest number."

He won’t be transferring because he’ll be in the UK prepping for The Artist.

bwayjoey
#31ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 10:59am

Are tickets available at the St. James box office? I can't find that information anywhere. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#32ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 11:09am

I’m curious how the tony eligibility for the cast and singers will work. I’d love to see Rickey, Ben, and Gaby get nominated, but I know that would be unlikely.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Miss10036 Profile Photo
Miss10036
#33ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 11:09am

Glad it’s official and I’ll finally be able to see this without braving the standby line again!  One failed attempt was enough for me.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#34ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 11:12am

Apparently the goal for this show is to take it on tour, and not to extend on Broadway after winning top honors. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Call_me_jorge
#35ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 11:20am

ColorTheHours048 said: "KingGeorgeIII said: "I hope Robbie Fairchild will pick up his second Tony Nomination, this time for Featured Actor in a Musical. It truly is an ensemble piece, but he stood out most to me among the individual performers. The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts, led by Fairchild, was the show's strongest number."

He won’t be transferring because he’ll be in the UKprepping for The Artist.
"

Do you know who is taking over Robbie’s track? They don’t have the character names in the press release, so it’s very unclear if there’s someone new or not.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#36ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 11:25am

I don't see any acting wins for them, but def. Best Musical, Best Direction, etc. 

ColorTheHours048
#37ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 11:27am

They haven’t released anything related to casting yet. I don’t have any insider info on this. Based on his latest IG post, Robbie is leaving for the UK right before this closes on the 26th, so I imagine whoever is standing in for him for the last few performances at the Armory will be assuming the role on Broadway.

MadsonMelo
#38ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 11:34am

Is this a ''Contact'' situation? Wow, things got really interesting!

kurtal
#39ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 11:48am

Man of Steel was performed by Brandt Martinez at Bard. And he was phenomenal. I liked his performance more than Robbie’s. 

Illinoise on Broadway is on his Insta stories right now, so….maybe he’ll be back since he already knows the track. 

JSquared2
#40ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 12:07pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "They haven’t released anything related to casting yet. I don’t have any insider info on this. Based on his latest IG post, Robbie is leaving for the UK right before this closes on the 26th, so I imagine whoever is standing in for him for the last few performances at the Armory will be assuming the role on Broadway."

Actually yes, they have.  Per the press release:

The cast of Illinoise includes Yesenia Ayala (film West Side Story, on Broadway in West Side Story), Kara Chan (Twyla Tharp Dance, Pam Tanowitz Dance), Ben Cook (film West Side Story, on Broadway in West Side Story), Gaby Diaz (Winner of So You Think You Can Dance?, films Maestro, West Side Story, and tick, tick… BOOM!.), Jeanette Delgado (Miami City Ballet, West Side Story film), Carlos Falu (West Side Story film), Christine Flores (Dance Heginbotham, Pam Tanowitz Dance), Jada German (Twyla Tharp Dance, Metropolitan Opera), Zachary Gonder (Carmen at Lyric Opera, Pam Tanowitz Dance), Rachel Lockhart (Juilliard’s Choreographic Honors program, Jacob’s Pillow), Brandt Martinez (Aladdin), Dario Natarelli (New York City Center Encores!, Maestro film), Tyrone Reese (Juilliard School), Craig Salstein (American Ballet Theatre, associate choreographer for West Side Story and Maestro films, Carousel on Broadway), Ahmad Simmons (Fosse/Verdon on FX, Hadestown), Byron Tittle (Dorrance Dance, In the Heights film), Ricky Ubeda (winner of So You Think You Can Dance Season 11, FX’s Fosse/Verdon) and Alejandro Vargas (Juilliard School).

The vocalists and band for Illinoise will be announced shortly.

Call_me_jorge
#41ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 12:12pm

kurtal said: "Man of Steel was performed by Brandt Martinez at Bard. And he was phenomenal. I liked his performance more than Robbie’s.

Illinoise on Broadway is on his Insta stories right now, so….maybe he’ll be back since he already knows the track.
"

Aah, yep! I think you’re right! 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#42ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 12:19pm

Gorgeous key art.

ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24

schubox
#43ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 12:43pm

Haven't been to the St. James in a while, do you think aisle closest to center on side mez row 1 or orch row m is better? Need an aisle and the middle orch aisle and middle mezz aisle is taken

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#44ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 1:03pm

schubox said: "Haven't been to the St. James in a while, do you think aisle closest to center on side mez row 1 or orch row m is better? Need an aisle and the middle orch aisle and middle mezz aisle is taken"

For a dance show like this, front mezz seems most ideal.

Alessio2
#45ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 1:26pm

I saw this at the Armory, and while it is a beautiful dance piece ( I can see this winning for best choreography), I would certainly not call this a musical at all.

schubox
#46ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 1:45pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "schubox said: "Haven't been to the St. James in a while, do you think aisle closest to center on side mez row 1 or orch row m is better? Need an aisle and the middle orch aisle and middle mezz aisle is taken"

"

That was my thought as well. I'm going for the music, so I figured a better view of the stage was the way to go

gibsons2
#47ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 1:56pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "schubox said: "Haven't been to the St. James in a while, do you think aisle closest to center on side mez row 1 or orch row m is better? Need an aisle and the middle orch aisle and middle mezz aisle is taken"

"

Except front mezz at St. James has the worst sightlines. I saw NY, NY from the center mezz row G and my view was blocked by an average height person who didn't even lean. I'll never sit there again.

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#48ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 2:54pm

Alessio2 said: "I saw this at the Armory, and while it is a beautiful dance piece ( I can see this winning for best choreography), I would certainly not call this a musical at all."

I disagree.   This could easily follow the footsteps of Tony award winning Best Musicals 1999’s FOSSE and 2000s CONTACT.  We found it better than both. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#49ILLINOISE at the St. James Beginning April 24
Posted: 3/19/24 at 3:18pm

For the purposes of the Tonys and other awards, "musical" has a history of being interpreted rather expansively- it's included dance pieces (Contact, Movin' Out, etc), legit operas (Baz Luhrman's La Boheme), operettas (Pirates of Penzance, etc), and revues (Smokey Joe's Cafe, etc). It's basically come to mean "anything that tells a story largely through musical performance." 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 3/19/24 at 03:18 PM