SUFFS Previews

PridelandsNYC
#75SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 1:06pm

"I suspect the age of luscious sets is gone forever."

Get yourself to the Broadway! Gatsby has a rich, sumptuous, and extravagant set design. It reminded me of the excitement of seeing Sunset and Miss Saigon. It's truly thrilling to see a set of that scale. I didn't realize how hungry I was for that kind of grand theatricality on Broadway again. The physical production of Gatsby and the way it moves are beautifully conceived. I only go into it here because the SUFFS set is so underwhelming. 

Miss10036 Profile Photo
Miss10036
#76SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/7/24 at 2:35pm

Suffs was one of my most anticipated shows of the spring, and I'm sorry to say this one let me down.

The flow was by-the-numbers and tedious.  Very X happened, then Y happened, and then they marched.  Especially in the first act as the show was getting going and rapid-fire introducing the many suffs.  Here's this suff and a brief intro to her character, here's another and this is her MO, and so on.  The book and lyrics were just so, so on the nose.  One of Alice Paul's songs begins with her asking "what would my life be like if it wasn't consumed by this?" and evolves into the suffs, as a group, asking "is it worth it?" over and over.  Look, if there's the occasional song with lyrics as blunt as that, that's fine.  It can be powerful to put in a more lyrically straightforward song to cut through the noise and get us to directly connect with a character.  But when the vast majority of songs are that blunt and/or narration-heavy, it goes over like a lead balloon.

I liked a good chunk of the music, lyrics aside.  When it's one midtempo song after another though, I find myself disengaging with the score.  I kept wishing for more variety in the music to perk me up or draw me in.  The placement of the songs too often felt like Taub had an idea for a song or sentiment she wanted to express, and then worked out a way to insert the song that felt inorganic.  For example:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

A character says she was called a "bitch," so the characters riff on it for a few minutes in "G.A.B."  It's fun, but did we need it?  Alice Paul says something that gets under Carrie Chapman Cott's skin, so Cott immediately breaks from the moment to sing "This Girl."  One suff tells Ida B. Wells to wait her turn, so she immediately launches into "Wait My Turn," a good song that I wished didn't come during her first introduction.

There's technically a lead-in to these songs, box checked, but it repeatedly feels more like Taub wrote the song and then added a lead-in sentence so it would arise from something, even if the flow into the number is abrupt and not entirely natural.  Act two improved, at least, and the show goes out on a high note with "Keep Marching" (still on the nose, but the music's uplifting and sounds most powerful when the whole cast sings together).

They flatten this compelling history by not giving the suffs room to breathe and be complicated and layered, with their own rough edges and contradictions.  The scope is too wide to allow that.  Nikki M. James, Hannah Cruz, and Grace McLean do great work...  when they're onstage and have something to do.  I loved Ally Bonino's performance.  "Lucy's Song" was a standout for me and one of the few moments, I felt, where an individual suff's relationships to the movement and the other women felt true and personal.  The beginning of "How Long" was another.  It gave me a glimmer of the show we could have gotten.  But the show we got was so crowded that we don't get to spend much meaningful time with many of the suffs.  Because its focus is scattered, when we do spend time with some of the suffs apart from the group as a whole, it almost feels extraneous.  Like,

Doris Stevens and Dudley Malone's subplot has an enjoyable song and reprise, but it had the feel of an extraneous side-plot.  It didn't have to feel that way.  And did Dudley need a song where he comes around to suffrage?

The writing is all very surface-level, from its commentary on the suffragist movement to its treatment of race, the suffs' inner lives, and the historical events it ticks through.

What bothered me the most is that the production lacked imagination in my eyes.  The storytelling was didactic.  It didn't have a grand or epic scale; it didn't take a more intimate, character-driven approach; it didn't have a clear style...  what was the vision?  I couldn't figure it out.  And the show didn't give us much in the way of stage pictures or scenery.  I echo others' criticisms of the set.  Between the dreary wood paneling (why?), the moving columns (because... it's a musical about history?), and the blank, light blue backgrounds, the sets didn't elevate the production and felt cheap. 

I'm glad people are connecting with this show, and I appreciate that it dramatizes the suffragist movement.  I just wish it was good.  This history deserves a more interesting musical and I'm baffled that this is the end result, pending further changes in previews, after all the work the creative team put into it.  I hate to post a long, straight-up pan on here—hey, this is one poster's opinion, and I hope my thoughts come across as constructive—but I felt so deflated after this one.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#77SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/10/24 at 2:27am

Well I am just getting back and it’s late but it feels like a hit to me. I was so happy that so many improvements were made since The Public.  That jail scene nearly killed me downtown but tonight it was much shorter and flowed better. I had read and was apprehensive about the addition of GAB (Great American B*tch) but it really worked and added some levity.  The stairs are gone and I did not miss them along with all the monochromaticism from The Public.  Thank God for Paul Tazewell who has done such nice work with the costumes. Some I found to really be gorgeous.  Shout out as well to Charles Lapointe for excellent hair and wig design.

Standout performers for me: Nicki M. James, Kim Blanck, Emily Skinner, Tsilala Brock.  I see this easily getting nominated for best musical.

I found the set disappointing and agree with a previous poster about never being able to forget that headless horse. It is still in there and I don’t know why. It really took me out of the show.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#78SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/10/24 at 8:43am

I didn't think twice about the "headless horse" that people keep talking about because it has no body, either. The whole thing is just a frame representing a horse, and I had completely forgotten about it until I saw it mentioned on here.

willep
#79SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/10/24 at 8:51am

The body is much more realized than the nonexistent head. It was weird, but I got over it.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#80SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/10/24 at 10:42am

I've heard people on Tiktok and X (and here) talking about how the show "centers white feminism" as a complaint. At the Public, this was one of the points of the show. The loss of Nikki M James character was consistently palpable. Has that changed? It's true the show is about "the white ladies" but it's also about their exclusion of everyone else (which is historical). Were folks hoping this show centered people who history sidelined? Are people having trouble recognizing that representation is not endorsement? Has the show changed? Is the show no longer critical of Alice Paul (and the rest)? I found it quite critical (and exhilarating) at the Public

Jesus saves. I spend.

willep
#81SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/10/24 at 11:33am

Overall, I think they do a decent job handling it. I don’t have the best memory to recollect all of the Public run, but they may have softened it a little, but they do address that this is a movement that helps white women more than women of color. Part of me wishes that the would introduce Ida B Wells more in the beginning as a third perspective (Catt being the older generation, Paul being the new), instead of her coming in and immediately singing her big number. It would be interesting to have worked her perspective in a bit more. But, again, the show does address it throughout.

Falsettolands
#82SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/10/24 at 11:48am

willep said: "Overall, I think they do a decent job handling it. I don’t have the best memory to recollect all of the Public run, but they may have softened it a little, but they do address that this is a movement that helps white women more than women of color. Part of me wishes that the would introduce Ida B Wells more in the beginning as a third perspective (Catt being the older generation, Paul being the new), instead of her coming in and immediately singing her big number. It would be interesting to have worked her perspective in a bit more. But, again, the show does address it throughout."

I can definitely see how it would maybe be more effective following Ida as a third narrative.

as it stands, I think the show does an incredibly lousy job with any of the black perspective and narrative. Borderline comical how it feels Taub gave up completely after Wait My Turn.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#83SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/10/24 at 12:03pm

"as it stands, I think the show does an incredibly lousy job with any of the black perspective and narrative. Borderline comical how it feels Taub gave up completely after Wait My Turn."

Except that's the point? The suffragists failed their own ideology. The show itself is about how the white suffragists excluded everyone who didn't conform to straight, white, middle/upper-class status. 

Every show is not about everything and everyone. For me, I thought there was a great feeling of loss not hearing more from Ida B Wells, especially because she made such an impression in her brief appearances (and in Ms James terrific performance). I'm also confused because the main complaints seem to be they tried to shove every detail of history into the show... so they should have squeezed more in? Sometimes a show is about the white people. At least this show acknowledges the problematic nature of these kinds of movements/stories. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

Falsettolands
#84SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/10/24 at 12:18pm

KJisgroovy said: ""as it stands, I think the show does an incredibly lousy job with any of the black perspective and narrative. Borderline comical how it feels Taub gave up completely after Wait My Turn."

Except that's the point? The suffragists failed their own ideology.The show itself is about how the white suffragists excluded everyone who didn't conform to straight, white, middle/upper-class status.

Every show is not about everything and everyone. For me, I thought there was a great feeling of loss not hearing more from Ida B Wells, especially because she made such an impression in her brief appearances (and in Ms James terrific performance).I'm also confused because the main complaints seem to be they tried to shove every detail of history into the show... so they should have squeezed more in? Sometimes a show is about the white people. At least this show acknowledges the problematic nature of these kinds of movements/stories.
"

Well see, if the show had been better written and constructed this "great feeling of loss" once Ida virtually disappears from the narrative would feel more purposeful. In the case of Suffs, it does not. It truly feels like a situation of "I want to have my cake, eat it, and also acknowledge the stuff I do not have the tools or capacity to accomplish in this piece"

By fusing this narrative in for a short moment, Taub undermines the piece tremendously. This is, of course, simply my opinion. But I'm not buying that this was purposefully orchestrated within the structure of the piece so you understand that this movement neglected people of color. It really, really feels like a half-hearted attempt at pandering.

Every show is not about everything and everyone. you are so right! In that vein, I wish Taub had seen that and had not touched on this narrative in a way that does not do Ida B. Wells and the black suffragist's true respect or justice. It feels lousy.

Updated On: 4/10/24 at 12:18 PM

hearthemsing22
#85SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/10/24 at 5:57pm

KJisgroovy said: "I've heard people on Tiktok and X (and here) talking about how the show "centers white feminism" as a complaint. At the Public, this was one of the points of the show. The loss of Nikki M James character was consistently palpable. Has that changed? It's true the show is about "the white ladies" but it's also about their exclusion of everyone else (which is historical). Were folks hoping this show centered people who history sidelined? Are people having trouble recognizing that representation is not endorsement? Has the show changed? Is the show no longer critical of Alice Paul (and the rest)? I found it quite critical (and exhilarating)at the Public

"

How often people complain, or what they complain about, makes me wonder if they just blindly purchased tickets without knowing what show they were buying tickets for. There are just too many steps to go through to say "I had no idea what I was getting into!". I know they could have been invited along with someone who didn't give them a thorough explanation beforehand, but still. 

Fordham2015
#86SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/10/24 at 7:50pm

My mom saw today's matinee. Her review was that it was "OK, a lot like Hamilton" (which she also didn't love)

mridley2
#87SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/11/24 at 12:04am

Taub just doesn't understand how to execute this story in a way that feels active and interesting. Again, I haven't seen it on Broadway...I did at the Public...but the core concept of execution is flawed. It's like watching a book report.

This is exactly what I said to my theater companion after a preview on Saturday.  Taub needed a mentor or dramaturg or someone to help her shape this story.  It is bland, over stuffed, has no point of view, or character arcs. It's hard to NOT root for this show given the subject matter but i was really disappointed in the Broadway outing. I did not see this at the public  so cannot offer any comparisons.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#88SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/11/24 at 2:16pm

Not sure if it's been announced, but I asked last night and the cast will go into the recording studio for the cast recording right after opening night. 

theatergoer3
#89SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 10:21am

Does anyone know where the lotto seats have been ? I know the Music Box isn’t huge but curious if the seats are decent. 

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#90SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 11:01am

Mine were row E the last two seats to the side house right

"In here, life is beautiful"

theatergoer3
#91SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 11:27am

Thank you ! That seems pretty good. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#92SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 4:18pm

The company will make its television debut this Monday, performing on The Kelly Clarkson Show. 

Oh look, a bibu!

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#93SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 4:49pm

Saw last night's preview and thoroughly enjoyed it! I will admit I'm someone who liked it a lot at the Public. But, I think this was much improved! I loved the new songs and the new physical production is VASTLY improved. The costumes were grogrous and the set, while pretty simple, was certainly much more usable than the one at the Public.

I did miss Phillipa Soo. She just has such an incredible stage presence. Hannah Cruz didn't fill the space the way Soo does, but she definitely found it for her big moments at the end of Act 1 and her big scene in Act 2. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#94SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/13/24 at 7:39am

I was also a fan from the Public, and I was let down Thursday night. It was missing...something. 

I, too, really liked the new songs and thought Cruz did a terrific job. I did feel as though Grace McLean (whom I love) was the only one that seemed to have grown in their role.  I didn't hate the set as many of you did. The pacing seemed off, almost...too steady? 

But boy oh boy, I wanted to smack the audience in the mezz around. Undeserved hooting and hollering during applause (which was often lukewarm from the masses), overplayed reactions to most of the feminist talking pounts. It had such a "That's my friend in the show show saying such cool things!" vibe. 

Question: was Catt's being gay  present at the public? Was it indirect or subtle and I missed it? Or am I just absolutely forgetting it? 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#95SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/13/24 at 8:04am

dramamama611: Question: was Catt's being gay  present at the public? Was it indirect or subtle and I missed it? Or am I just absolutely forgetting it? 

No I thought the same exact thing and don’t remember it at The Public either. But I could be forgetting too.

The Other One
#96SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/13/24 at 9:10am

I did miss Phillipa Soo. She just has such an incredible stage presence. Hannah Cruz didn't fill the space the way Soo does, but she definitely found it for her big moments at the end of Act 1 and her big scene in Act 2."

Any idea why she did not go to Broadway with the show?  Is she working on something else?

gibsons2
#97SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/13/24 at 9:56am

The Other One said: "I did miss Phillipa Soo. She just has such an incredible stage presence. Hannah Cruz didn't fill the space the way Soo does, but she definitely found it for her big moments at the end of Act 1 and her big scene in Act 2."

Any idea why she did not go to Broadway with the show? Is she working on something else?

"

I happened to see her Instagram story earlier this week. She posted a picture during the eclipse with a group of actors I assume who stopped the reading to look at the sun. I guess some news about her latest project will be coming eventually 

Updated On: 4/13/24 at 09:56 AM

Michelle Birnbaum
#98SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/13/24 at 12:09pm

Suffs is not listed on the telecharge lottery site.  Do they not offer lottery tickets on weekends?

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#99SUFFS Previews
Posted: 4/13/24 at 2:22pm

I was sad to see this moment cut from the Public’s run. 

"In here, life is beautiful"