pixeltracker

Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season

Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
Dolly80
#2Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:04am

Producers really just want to throw their money down a drain don’t they?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:04am

Big year for Landau, directing this and Floyd Collins.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#4Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:06am

The major question is why? 
It wasn’t a hit at La Jolla. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

bigbelterbaby
#5Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:07am

Happy Menzel has found a vehicle that caters to her strengths. I liked the songs I’ve heard from the show. 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

OhHiii
#6Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:10am

rosscoe(au) said: "The major question is why?
"

It got great reviews in La Jolla? And Idina sells tickets? Pretty easy answer actually…

gibsons2
#7Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:13am

Kad said: "Big year for Landau, directing this and Floyd Collins."

One musical is about spelunking and another is about... hiking? As a nature enthusiast, I'm all for it!

Updated On: 6/13/24 at 09:13 AM

KevinKlawitter
#8Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:15am

Best Actress in a Musical is going to be a bloodbath two years in a row, it seems

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#9Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:16am

I know nothing about this show. But I’ll see anything Idina is in. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#10Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:22am

I've heard less than great reports about this from several friends. I hope they put the work in to improve it. 

bigbelterbaby
#11Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:28am

steven22 said: "I know nothing about this show. But I’ll see anything Idina is in."

The show is about Julia Butterfly Hill, an environmental activist that saved an ancient redwood tree from being destroyed and lived in the tree for almost two years. There’s a book and documentary about it. She’s also a lesbian and De’adre Aziza played her partner in La Jolla. 

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#12Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:28am

OhHiii said: "rosscoe(au) said: "The major question is why?
"

It got great reviews in La Jolla? And Idina sells tickets?Pretty easy answer actually…
"

Well If”/Than certainly set the box office on fire! 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

OhHiii
#13Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:35am

rosscoe(au) said: "Well If”/Than certainly set the box office on fire!"

It ran for over a year. And had several weeks north of $1mil in 2015 which was not the same era we are in now.

I swear this board loves to b*tch and moan about the lack of original work on Broadway and then something original gets announced with a star that does have some level of selling power and the pitchforks come out to say you know better than producers. It makes no sense lol. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#14Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:37am

Nope. That is not the plot. I saw the show twice in March.  It is inspired by the story of Hill, but it is not her story.  In the show Idina's character googles and learns about Hill, and then is like "I'm gonna do the same thing!"  The show has some songs that play to her strengths, and uses projections in a fantastic way, but the book was a mess.

bigbelterbaby said: "steven22 said: "

The show is about Julia Butterfly Hill, an environmental activist that saved an ancient redwood tree from being destroyed and lived in the tree for almost two years. There’s a book and documentary about it. She’s also a lesbian and De’adre Aziza played her partner in La Jolla.

"

Updated On: 6/13/24 at 09:37 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#15Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:40am

If/Then wasn’t a hit and didn’t recoup, but it wasn’t an embarrassing flop. It had strong box office numbers initially, clearing $1mil frequently, though they gradually diminished. Producers pulled the plug rather than recast Menzel. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#16Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:42am

The producers also announced that it “partially recouped.” 

hearthemsing22
#17Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:51am

OhHiii said: "rosscoe(au) said: "Well If”/Than certainly set the box office on fire!"

It ran for over a year. And had several weeks north of $1mil in 2015 which was not the same era we are in now.

I swear this board loves to b*tch and moan about the lack of original work on Broadway and then something original gets announced with a star that does have some level of selling power and the pitchforks come out to say you know better than producers. It makes no sense lol.
"

Yep. And then they say they don't want revivals but freak out when a big name comes back in a star-studded revival, while at the same time asking for original work, and then they don't support the original work. It's stupid, sorry 

MadsonMelo
#18Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:58am

Scherzinger, McDonald, Simard, Hilty, Foster, Brayben, Shen... now Menzel?

And possibly Peters, Salonga... maybe Chenoweth?

Oh, 2025 Tony's for Best Actress in a Musical will be INSANE!

Ensemble1704909160
#19Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 10:09am

bigbelterbaby said: "steven22 said: "I know nothing about this show. But I’ll see anything Idina is in."

The show is about Julia Butterfly Hill, an environmental activist that saved an ancient redwood tree from being destroyed and lived in the tree for almost two years. There’s a book and documentary about it. She’s also a lesbian and De’adre Aziza played her partner in La Jolla."

No, not at all. It's about grief and running away from NYC life to live amongst the Redwood trees in northern California. They reference Hill, and yes, Menzel's character sleeps overnight in a tree at one point, but not to prevent it from being cut down. Most of the show is about her learning to climb trees and reflecting on the events that caused her to come to the forest in the first place. 

Updated On: 6/13/24 at 10:09 AM

bigbelterbaby
#20Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 10:10am

Interesting! Sounds a lot more like Wild the movie about Cheryl Strayed. Which incidentally was the name of a show she also did recently. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#21Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 10:14am

Considering the cast at La Jolla was only 8 actors including understudies, this seems like a more modestly sized show that with a star like Menzel at the helm could do reasonably well …. As long she’s in it, at least. 

Updated On: 6/13/24 at 10:14 AM

Ensemble1704909160
#22Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 10:17am

Kad said: "Considering the cast at La Jolla was only 8 actors including understudies, this seems like a more modestly sized show that with a star like Menzel at the helm could do reasonably well …. As long she’s in it, at least."

She didn't have an understudy in La Jolla, so I am curious to see who they end up picking. She never called out, but they said they would cancel if she did. 

OhHiii
#23Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 10:37am

Ensemble1704909160 said: "Kad said: "She didn't have an understudy in La Jolla, so I am curious to see who they end up picking. She never called out, but they said they would cancel if she did."

It will almost certainly be Jackie Burns.  Pending plans for Burlesque anyway…

Updated On: 6/13/24 at 10:37 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#24Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 10:42am

No theatre or dates always makes me skeptical

Sometimes (not always) that’s wishful thinking or a way to drum up investors and never transpires. Such as Landau’s other recent musical, Transparent. 

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#25Menzel-led REDWOOD to transfer to Broadway this season
Posted: 6/13/24 at 11:18am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "No theatre or dates always makes me skeptical

Sometimes (not always)that’s wishful thinking or a way to drum up investors and never transpires. Such as Landau’s other recent musical, Transparent.
"

It's coming. :)

Videos