pixeltracker

The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!

The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!

brdwybound04
#1The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 5:10pm

What shows/performers/nominees are you most surprised at and frustrated by their Tony snubs?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#2The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 5:23pm

I always thought snubs come on nomination day. This season it would be Harmony, Heart of Rock n Roll, The Wiz, How to Dance in Ohio, and other shows that got zero Tony love.

Since actual vote numbers are not published nor will it ever be published, remember that some of these races will be close and can be won by only 1 vote.  For Best Musical, since there are 5 nominees, technically it's possible for the Tony winner to only get 21% of the votes!

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#3The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 5:23pm

brdwybound04 said: "What shows/performers/nominees are you most surprised at and frustrated by their Tony snubs?"

Might be just me but I would consider not getting a nomination a possible "snub" but wouldn't consider it for the award itself.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Ptero2
#4The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 5:37pm

[break glass in case Kelli O'Hara doesn't win]

KELLI O'HARA WAS ROBBED

The Other One
#5The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 6:37pm

Doubt not being nominated for Best Revival is strange.  Three of its four cast members are nominees and only three plays were nominated for Best Revival - there clearly could have been one or two more. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#6The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 6:46pm

I’ll say it: Timo was robbed. 

Broadway61004
#7The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 6:55pm

Jonathan Tunick is a legend and his orchestrations for the original Merrily are tremendous. But awarding him the award now when hardly anything was changed from those original orchestrations is an absolute joke.

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 06:55 PM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#8The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 7:41pm

Broadway61004 said: "Jonathan Tunick is a legend and his orchestrations for the original Merrily are tremendous. But awarding him the award now when hardly anything was changed from those original orchestrations is anabsolute joke."

He should have about eight Tonys by now. He’s one of the greatest ever. I’m thrilled he got one for his Sondheim work. 

Broadway61004
#9The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 8:00pm

TotallyEffed said: "He should have about eight Tonys by now. He’s one of the greatest ever. I’m thrilled he got one for his Sondheim work."

But not for something he wrote 45 years ago is my point. That's like saying Shakespeare should be given 8 Tonys now since he never had a chance to win them previously.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#10The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 8:18pm

Is that the best number in Hell's Kitchen? It looks like when Family Guy parodies musicals.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#11The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:02pm

There's your snub, Maria Friedman.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

brdwybound04
#12The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:03pm

I’m am shocked, floored, and gutted that Maria Friedman was snubbed and robbed of her Best Direction Tony!! She single handedly saved “Merrily” from the ash heaps of musical theatre failure, yet somehow did not win!?!?!?

PipingHotPiccolo
#13The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:17pm

blaxx said: "There's your snub, Maria Friedman."

Yeah. Thrilled for Taymor and much preferred the Outsiders to Merrily but if anyone ever DIRECTED something it was Maria. Wild.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#14The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:26pm

There's another one, Kecia Lewis.

Merrily's hype (whether deserved or not) surely hurt it.

bear88
#15The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:34pm

brdwybound04 said: "I’m am shocked, floored, and gutted that Maria Friedman was snubbed and robbed of her Best Direction Tony!! She single handedly saved “Merrily” from the ash heaps of musical theatre failure, yet somehow did not win!?!?!?"

Might the fact that she saved it a dozen years ago have hurt her? 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#16The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:43pm

I'm so happy Shaina won the Score, but I really thought Stereophonic was gonna pull it off. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#17The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:17pm

Kelli.

Her work this season was so far beyond what anyone else was doing.  She was robbed.  

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

ElephantLoveMedley
#18The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:21pm

Kelli O'Hara and Maria Friedman were the two biggest snubs of the night for me.

RUkiddingme
#19The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:22pm

Tunick didn't get a standing ovation.

Come on!

bluetuna
#20The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:22pm

NYadgal said: "Kelli.

Her work this season was so far beyond what anyone else was doing. She was robbed.
"

Completely agree.  Such a layered emotional journey she took us on through that performance.

TotallyEffed
#21The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/16/24 at 11:47pm

Broadway61004 said: "TotallyEffed said: "He should have about eight Tonys by now. He’s one of the greatest ever. I’m thrilled he got one for his Sondheim work."

But not for something he wrote 45 years ago is my point. That's like saying Shakespeare should be given 8 Tonys now since he never had a chance to win them previously.
"

Shakespeare has been dead for hundreds of years.

You're acting like the score hasn't changed a bit since its Broadway debut. New songs have been written, old songs replaced. He is a supremely talented orchestrator and deserves to be recognized for how much he has contributed to Sondheim's signature sound. Sometimes it's a legacy win, sorry about it.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#22The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:03am

brdwybound04 said: "I’m am shocked, floored, and gutted that Maria Friedman was snubbed and robbed of her Best Direction Tony!! She single handedly saved “Merrily” from the ash heaps of musical theatre failure, yet somehow did not win!?!?!?"

I think Maria did great work but this production is for the most part the same one back in West End over 10 years ago. The only difference was the cast. Remember the production was even brought to Boston in 2017 but sadly did not sell tickets (I loved the cast back then too especially Eden Espinosa as Mary!)

Casting Daniel Radcliffe is what made this show finally sell tickets from the beginning of its off-bway run. Daniel made Charley Kringas his own and the chemistry of the trio is what made the show finally work, in my opinion. I still love Maria and think she should have won but I don't consider this a snub but, rather, an upset. Kudos to Danya Taymor!

This is one instance where I wish they would publish the voting results for transparency as I'm certain Maria Friedman got votes! What may have also hurt her chances is not having any sort of tour of the production. I'm guessing the roadies all voted for Danya Taymor since The Outsiders will start its tour next year.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#23The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:15am

TotallyEffed said: "Broadway61004 said: "TotallyEffed said: "He should have about eight Tonys by now. He’s one of the greatest ever. I’m thrilled he got one for his Sondheim work."

"

Shakespeare has been dead for hundreds of years.

You're acting like the score hasn't changed a bit since its Broadway debut. New songs have been written, old songs replaced. He is a supremely talented orchestrator and deserves to be recognized for how much he has contributed to Sondheim's signature sound. Sometimes it's a legacy win, sorry about it.
"

He’s also changed and updated the Merrily orchestrations every single time he’s orchestrated it. Each time has substantial differences, including this revival. He deserved this. 

Updated On: 6/17/24 at 12:15 AM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#24The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:21am

There’s no denying Jonathan Tunick is a master and one of the greatest orchestrators ever. Should he have multiple Tonys if the orchestration category was established before 1997? Yes. This award feels a bit like John Williams continually being nominated for rehashing his own themes for the latest sequel in one of the franchises he composes for. Obviously, the original work was great, and it’s still good, but it’s mainly just an updated draft with a few new things added. This wasn’t awarded based on the work done for this production. Happy he has more than one Tony now, but I did think there were more artistic choices (and ones not even nominated).

Saying Tunick deserved but Friedman didn’t for having directed this production a decade ago is contradictory. I fully expected Maria to win. This reminds me of when Darko Tresnjak won for Gentleman’s Guide over Michael Mayer’s Hedwig.

TotallyEffed
#25The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
Posted: 6/17/24 at 12:26am

HeyMrMusic said: "Saying Tunick deserved but Friedman didn’t for having directed this production a decade ago is contradictory. I fully expected Maria to win. This reminds me of when Darko Tresnjak won for Gentleman’s Guideover Michael Mayer’s Hedwig."

How so?

Videos