pixeltracker

Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London

Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#1Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 4:39am

The UK premiere of Dave Malloy’s musical Natasha, Pierre and The Great Comet of 1812 has been announced, running at the Donmar from 7 December 2024 to 8 February 2025.

Directed by Tim Sheader as part of his first season, with choreography by Ellen Kane and musical supervision by Nicholas Skilbeck, this production features set design by Leslie Travers, costume design by Evie Gurney.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/news/natasha-pierre-and-the-great-comet-of-1812-to-have-uk-premiere-this-winter_1608944/

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#2Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 6:46am

OMG! Yes!!!!! This production was so good on Broadway! Really wish it didn’t have all the controversies, then it could’ve run longer. At any rate, London is in for a treat with this production! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

willep
#3Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 6:52am

To be clear, it is NOT the Broadway production. Completely different creative team. In fact he specifically states in the article that he didn’t even see the Broadway production.

That being said, love the Donmar and The Great Comet, so I’m very interested to see what they do with the piece.

Updated On: 6/25/24 at 06:52 AM

Sammy232
#4Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 7:41am

willep said: "To be clear, it is NOT the Broadway production. Completely different creative team. In fact he specifically states in the article that he didn’t even see the Broadway production.

That being said, love the Donmar and The Great Comet, so I’m very interested to see what they do with the piece.
"

I absolutely love this material and would be very curious to see a different production

hearthemsing22
#5Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 8:28am

I'm so glad that London will finally be able to experience this show but am I the only one who found it dull?

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#6Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 11:35am

They also announced that Adrien Brody will be in a play called The Fear of 13 written by Lindsey Ferrentino, the playwright writing the book for The Queen of Versailles

FreddyMyLove2
#7Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 11:45am

I am so glad to hear this, even if I'll never see it. I always thought this show deserved SO much better than what it got. It totally thrived in Toronto (where I saw it 20 times) and I hope it also thrives in London!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#8Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 11:58am

Seems like a great space for it.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#9Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 12:02pm

I know this is a different production but hopefully Mandy Patinkin will someday perform as Pierre!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#10Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 12:09pm

hearthemsing22 said: "I'm so glad that London will finally be able to experience this show but am I the only one who found it dull?"

I found it dreadful.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#11Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 12:14pm

muscle23ftl said: "hearthemsing22 said: "I'm so glad that London will finally be able to experience this show but am I the only one who found it dull?"

I found it dreadful.
"

Why doesn't that surprise me.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

hearthemsing22
#12Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 12:51pm

Huss417 said: "muscle23ftl said: "hearthemsing22 said: "I'm so glad that London will finally be able to experience this show but am I the only one who found it dull?"

I found it dreadful.
"

"

Why so rude? Not every show will be a hit with all audiences. 

Broadway Flash
#13Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:04pm

I just realized, they are also doing Intimate Apparel by Lynn Nottage.  American heavy season for a British theatre company

willep
#14Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:14pm

Wick3 said: "I know this is a different production but hopefully Mandy Patinkin will someday perform as Pierre!"

That would be exciting. I remember the cast talking about how wonderful he was in rehearsals.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#15Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:47pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Huss417 said: "muscle23ftl said: "hearthemsing22 said: "I'm so glad that London will finally be able to experience this show but am I the only one who found it dull?"

I found it dreadful.
"

"

"

Far from being rude and it looks like 11 people actually agree with me.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

tacotheatrelover Profile Photo
tacotheatrelover
#16Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 3:24pm

Why does all the cool stuff happen whenever I'm broke and cannot travel across an entire f*cking ocean

hearthemsing22
#17Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 3:36pm

Huss417 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Huss417 said: "muscle23ftl said: "hearthemsing22 said: "I'm so glad that London will finally be able to experience this show but am I the only one who found it dull?"

I found it dreadful.
"

"

"

Far from being rude and it looks like 11 people actually agree with me.
"

Updated On: 6/25/24 at 03:36 PM

Jarethan
#18Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 4:09pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "OMG! Yes!!!!! This production was so good on Broadway! Really wish it didn’t have all the controversies, then it could’ve run longer. At any rate, London is in for a treat with this production!"

I think you may be remembering incorrectly.  It had controversies god knows, but the reason it didn’t run longer is because people did t want to see it without Josh Grobin.  It is a real shame because it was so unique and has a great score.  Just too dependent on a big name.  

Broadway Flash
Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#20Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 9:04pm

Broadway Flash said: "Poison oak"

DON'T YOU DARE GO THERE!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#21Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 9:58pm

With Tim Sheader directing, who knows what you'll get. His time at Regents Park saw him have massive hits and big mis-fires. His Ragtime and Carousel were 2 of the worst things I have ever seen.

willep
#22Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/25/24 at 11:41pm

Jarethan said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "OMG! Yes!!!!! This production was so good on Broadway! Really wish it didn’t have all the controversies, then it could’ve run longer. At any rate, London is in for a treat with this production!"

I think you may be remembering incorrectly. It had controversies god knows, but the reason it didn’t run longer is because people did t want to see it without Josh Grobin. It is a real shame because it was so unique and has a great score. Just too dependent on a big name.
"

The controversies absolutely contributed to the closing. Any/all stunt casting (Mandy Patinkin) immediately ran away once all the controversies started.

Owen22
#23Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 to open in London
Posted: 6/26/24 at 11:31am

TBFL said: "With Tim Sheader directing, who knows what you'll get. His time at Regents Park saw him have massive hits and big mis-fires. His Ragtime and Carousel were 2 of the worst things I have ever seen."

But his Into the Woods is still the greatest production of that show I've ever seen. Though I hear it didn't go quite as well in Central Park...

Videos