pixeltracker

Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
#1Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/2/24 at 11:16am

Does anyone know if there's a chance of this? I've loved the clips of her singing from West End Live and BWW running https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Video-Watch-an-All-New-Trailer-For-NEXT-TO-NORMAL-in-Londons-West-End-20240702 reminded me as well. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/2/24 at 11:34am

110% happening, only question is this season or the next — I hear they’re waiting for 2025-26.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 7/2/24 at 11:34 AM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#3Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/2/24 at 11:40am

I need it desperately.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/2/24 at 11:42am

EDSOSLO858 said: "110% happening, only question is this season or the next — I hear they’re waiting for 2025-26."

Probably for the best, considering the actress-heavy season that already has quite a number of big revivals. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#5Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/2/24 at 11:47am

This production will cross the pond eventually, but I just cannot contain my excitement to see Cassie in this production when I go back to London in September! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#6Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/2/24 at 12:00pm

Saw it twice at the Donmar. Going back to London next week to see it again. I really hope it comes to NYC…

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#7Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/2/24 at 2:40pm

You'll also be able to see her in Ragtime at City Center in November.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Jesse St. James Profile Photo
Jesse St. James
#8Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/2/24 at 3:02pm

It’s transferring to broadway this season, February or early March

TotallyEffed
#9Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/2/24 at 3:31pm

Kad said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "110% happening, only question is this season or the next — I hear they’re waiting for 2025-26."

Probably for the best, considering the actress-heavy season that already has quite a number of big revivals.
"

You're right of course but I selfishly hope it comes this season, I'm too nervous that if they wait it won't happen. Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#10Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/2/24 at 8:04pm

I presume there may be Actors Equity issues for bringing the full UK cast over. 

Zeppie2022
#11Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/2/24 at 8:24pm

All for it but would be tough to match the OBC.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#12Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/3/24 at 2:36am

Like many original casts it’s hard for anyone to match and they both have their own strengths - but this production and cast does a ‘fine’ job to help us move on. I can’t imagine a better cast for a New York revival. I can probably imagine a slightly more innovative production and hope someone like Michael Arden can have a go one day, but everything works. It should be the next Broadway revival. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#13Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/3/24 at 9:32am

I really wish the David Cromer production out of Chicago had a longer life. I’ve seen three productions and that was certainly my favorite. 

hearthemsing22
#14Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/3/24 at 11:46am

TotallyEffed said: "I need it desperately."

LOL. Chill. Not everything in the west end needs to be on broadway and vice versa. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#15Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/3/24 at 12:11pm

hearthemsing22 said: "TotallyEffed said: "I need it desperately."

LOL. Chill. Not everything in the west end needs to be on broadway and vice versa.
"

Sometimes people want different things than you and you need to stop scolding people over it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#16Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/3/24 at 12:31pm

hearthemsing22 said: "LOL. Chill. Not everything in the west end needs to be on broadway and vice versa."

hearthemsing22
#17Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/3/24 at 1:39pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "LOL. Chill. Not everything in the west end needs to be on broadway and vice versa."

"

I'm perfectly entitled to say this. No need to tell me to hush 

Updated On: 7/3/24 at 01:39 PM

TotallyEffed
#18Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/3/24 at 2:06pm

hearthemsing22 said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "LOL. Chill. Not everything in the west end needs to be on broadway and vice versa."

"I'm perfectly entitled to say this. No need to tell me to hush
"

Shhh.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#19Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/3/24 at 2:13pm

hearthemsing22 said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "LOL. Chill. Not everything in the west end needs to be on broadway and vice versa."

"

"

Entitled

adjective

1. believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

"kids who feel so entitled and think the world will revolve around them"

I guess that sums it up pretty well.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

hearthemsing22
#20Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/3/24 at 2:36pm

Huss417 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "LOL. Chill. Not everything in the west end needs to be on broadway and vice versa."

"

"

Entitled

adjective

1. believingoneselfto beinherentlydeservingofprivilegesor special treatment.

"kids who feel so entitled and think the world will revolve around them"

I guess that sums it up pretty well."

Rude:

1. offensively impolite or ill-mannered.

Guess that sums y'all up when you think I think the world revolves around me (PS. I don't, but nice try) 

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#21Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/3/24 at 2:58pm

It always kills me that the person who starts the rudeness gets all bent out of shape when they get rudeness back. 

At any rate, TotallyEffed, it really is a stellar production and Levy sings the role so effortlessly that is really allows you to focus in on the character's arc rather than the actor's technique. I hope we do get to see it here soon!

JasonC3
#22Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/3/24 at 3:59pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Rude:
offensively impolite or ill-mannered.
Guess that sums y'all up when you think I think the world revolves around me (PS. I don't, but nice try)
"

Your posts consistently tell other people they need to get over it, move on, let go, and other expressions of what and/or how they should feel about a show as if your own perspective is some universal truth as opposed to just another opinion in the mix. Updated On: 7/3/24 at 03:59 PM

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#23Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/3/24 at 6:17pm

I saw Next to Normal on Broadway with the original cast (minus Tveit) --  it was a stellar set of performances, to be sure, but I've never thought of them as an especially "tough act to follow." I'd argue that Next to Normal is a show where, as long as you get strong actors and singers, you can cast it a lot of different ways that work roughly as well as each other.

Updated On: 7/3/24 at 06:17 PM

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#24Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/3/24 at 8:35pm

Well I, for two desperately need this. And I'll double-down and say EVERY show from the West End that hasn't played Broadway needs to transfer! I NEED IT ALL. ALL OF IT!!!!!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#25Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
Posted: 7/4/24 at 1:40am

I have to disagree that Ripley especially wasn’t a ‘tough act to follow’. I think many have followed successfully: Marin Mazzie and C Levy my two favourites. But Ripley’s vocal timbre is so unique and fitting for the role. It’s kind of like Bernadette’s vocals in Sunday, Kelli’s in Bridges, Patti in Gypsy or Ebersole in Grey Gardens. The voice is one of the most important sounds that defines the score. 

As much as I love C Levy’s truly exceptional, clean sounding Diana - it will be Ripley’s voice that always feels like the real one to me. And coupled with her odd ticks and acting style it all just came together perfectly. Because it kind of felt Ripley wasn’t acting but playing herself. Whereas people like c Levy and Marin Mazzie in theory were/are probably running circles around Ripley in terms of their technical vocal ability and acting but ultimately it doesn’t matter because Ripley’s style felt very much like the character. 

It was particularly special to see Ripley in the ‘immersive’ Barcelona production of next to normal a couple years ago because it was like sitting in a rehearsal room with her as it was a tiny box everyone was sitting on little box chairs sitting together. Adam Pascal video ‘dialing in’ as the doctor (pre recorded) - and a stunning performance of ‘light’ with colours projected all over the walls. Ripley’s vocals were stronger than on tour, but she didn’t even attempt the high notes of ‘so anyway’ anymore and they made an octave lower. 

Of course what is on at the donmar/west end now is 1000 times more professional, polished and satisfying than what they did in Barcelona. But I believe they were trying to tour Ripley around Europe and London and it never eventuated. I do wish it could have been seen by more people. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Videos