Your Favorite Musical...

JakeB
#0Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 8:06am

Time for another 'what is your favorite musical' thread, but this time it has a twist. You can only have ONE musical. Only one. Not two or three, not 'it's between'.. but only one. This thread's been done in the past and people just list endless shows - this time ONLY ONE! And think about it in terms of the big picture, don't just say Wicked because you saw it recently and 'loved it'. Think hard.

I'm going to go for BLOOD BROTHERS - it has comedy, tragedy, good songs, well written book and is always excellently cast.

StraightToHeaven
#1re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 8:41am

Hey I just saw Blood Brothers in the West End and I loved it! It's one of my favorites but not my absolute favorite.

That would have to go to Rent which has effected me in many ways and all in all made me a better person even.

Dollypop
#2re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 9:20am

Let me give this some thought, okay?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#3re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 10:28am

Hello Dolly. It is the quintessential musical.

Holson2006
#4re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 10:40am

Taboo...the score and cast were amazing!

CK2
#5re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 10:41am

For me it's "Nine". Great cast, great songs, it's funny, it's sad and most important my favourite actress Mary Stuart Masterson was in it. Saw it with Banderas and with Stamos.

joniray
#6re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 10:50am

Passion.

No other show has shaken me to the core like that one has. And it's the closest anyone has come to perfection as far as dramatic integration between music and spoken word is concerned - in my opinion of course re: re: Your Favorite Musical...

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#7re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 11:00am

this is easy. hairspray.

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#8re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 11:27am

hmmm.. so so hard.

if it can only be one..

probably..

Into The Woods

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#9re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 12:13pm

Little Shop of Horrors. Not even just the new Broadway Cast production, but the show itself is my favorite.

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 12:17pm

I think it's Aida

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 12:44pm

without a doubt..."rent"

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

lvpblues
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 1:05pm

If I have to pick just one...believe me, this is one of the hardest decisions in my life re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...

SHE LOVES ME is just a marvelous intimate musical comedy. Bock and Harnick's score is enchanting, it's got an incredibly strong libretto by Joe Masteroff and I think it's a perfect example of the integrated book musical. The characters are wonderfully fleshed out and I find that I care about them (though I'm not sure everyone cares for Kodaly, they sure love him when he sings his farewell...) I can't tell you how many times I've gotten chills from listening to the final scene between Daniel Massey and Barbara Cook on the original cast recording. What a perfect little jewel of a musical. And can we discuss "Ice Cream"? My God, it really is one of the greatest theatre songs written for a woman. I know some people find it too quaint or too schmaltzy - but I really must disagree. I think it's just an absolute delight.

I need to go listen to it right now...

~Kevin Updated On: 3/27/04 at 01:05 PM

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 1:19pm

Wow this is a very tough question. I will have to say...
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Just because I love the music to death and my dream role is Millie.

"They hear drums. We hear music."

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 1:21pm

RENT overall was great, Wicked as well, but my dream role would be Pippin....i'd have to say Wicked as my favorite, i know im gonna get yelled at for this one....lol re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 1:50pm

alright, after lots of thought:

I always say that Aida is my favorite musical, just because I love it, which I do, and then proceed to list it as sort-of tied with Cabaret, Oklahoma! and Rent (in no particular order).

But, I'm going to have to say Cabaret (remember, this is after thinking *very* hard, and enduring some feelings of betrayal toward my other favorite musicals). I'm choosing Cabaret because I loved it, obviously, but for more reasons that than. It made me think more than any musical has in the past, and it got to me emotionally more than anything has in the past. Unlike a lot of musicals, there is also a lot to be learned from it.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

lostwallflower Profile Photo
lostwallflower
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 2:15pm

Hands down Tick...Tick, BOOM!

"I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber. Please don't take me to the pickle farm."- Brak

orchajaws Profile Photo
orchajaws
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 2:24pm

I'm going to have to say Les Miz, with Hairspray, Producers, Rent, Chicago, Jekyll & Hyde, Sunday in the Park with George, Rocky Horror, Wicked, State Fair and Damn Yankees following it.

StateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 2:37pm

*Thinks for a second* RENT.

"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1

Wicked_Elphie Profile Photo
Wicked_Elphie
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 2:42pm

It has to be Thoroughly Modern Millie!!

luvtheemcee...I can't believe you're actually officially going with Cabaret!

"Take a breath. Take a step. Take a chance. Take your time." -L5Y

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 2:43pm

Wicked_Elphie, I said I felt like I was betraying Aida.... but it's for a different reason. I know that makes no sense, but you know what I mean! And you also know that I'm slighlty non-committal, lol.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 2:52pm

hands down

LES MISERABLES

A beautiful and haunting tail of forgiveness and repentance. The score is soaring, the characters unforgettable, thanks to Victor Hugo's brilliant novel.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 3:13pm

Forbidden Broadway is my favorite revue of all time.
But my favorite Broadway show would have to be Avenue Q.
Updated On: 8/16/05 at 03:13 PM

WestEndBird Profile Photo
WestEndBird
#23 re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 3:18pm

Wicked...hands down!

"Even if I could let you see me cry you would never understand what I was feeling inside, you see it and use it but dont believe in it..."

~*Triple Star On Broadway*~ Profile Photo
~*Triple Star On Broadway*~
#24re: re: Your Favorite Musical...
Posted: 3/27/04 at 3:28pm

It was Crazy For You but right now it would be FOSSE, just because I saw it a few weeks ago in Vancouver (a professional touring company did it and is travelling through the states and Europe this spring) and I just couldnt believe how amazing it was. Plus I love Bob Fosse's choreo and the music.

You've gotta have heart AND music

Videos