nystateomind04
#0a chorus line-movie
Posted: 6/7/04 at 12:19am

does it do the show justice, ive never seen it, so i just wanted to know

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#1re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 6/7/04 at 12:21am

Get ready for some VERY mixed feelings about this one!

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
#2re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 6/7/04 at 12:26am

Imperfect, but worth seeing. Just don't expect to see it as it was staged.

I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!

nystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
#3re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 6/7/04 at 12:30am

im sure they'll revive it at least twice in my lifetime, but who knows if it will be anywhere near as successful.

dano Profile Photo
dano
#4re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 6/7/04 at 11:18am

No, it does not do the show justice. One of the worst movie interpretations of a stage musical ever.

"Singing is the lowest form of communication" - Homer

wickedrawbrt
#5re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 6/7/04 at 12:27pm

I love that movie, it's a scream. Audrey Landers is so horribly miscast and the music synthisized. All the heart and soul are completely drained. The Cassie is lifeless and boring. The one good thing...Terrence Mann. It's worth seeing if you want a case in how not to film a stage musical.

directorkid Profile Photo
directorkid
#6re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 6/7/04 at 12:56pm

horrible Chorus Line is one of those shows that is only good on stage

directorkid Profile Photo
directorkid
#7re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 6/7/04 at 12:56pm

horrible Chorus Line is one of those shows that is only good on stage

#8re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 6/7/04 at 1:05pm

Let's put it this way - they change "What I Did For Love," which is basically an anthem to the sacrifices you're willing to make to pursue artistic endeavors - into a traditional romantic "love song" moment. That just about encapsulates the integrity of the piece for me.

SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!! Profile Photo
SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!!
#9re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:19am

AWFUL! TERRIBLE!

lets just say its the worst movie ever, the worst stage to screen adaptaion in the history of stage to screen adaptaions.

MargoChanning
#10re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:49am

A total abomination. Destroys and/or distorts everything that's brilliant about the original stage version. Miscast, misdirected, mis-staged, mis-shot and misunderstood. Frankly, I wish it had never happened.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!!
#11re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:50am

me too...in The Longest Line, the costume designer spoke about what a shame it was that the show broke all those records and made such history and all the younger generation would have is the film as a refrance.

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#12re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:52am

save every penny yo have that it would cost to rent or buy this move AND RENT OR BUY SOMETHING ELSE....this was pure agony -- I literally walk out of the theater after (as DG well put) they changed the context of WHat I Did For Love -- honestly -- I stood up and said loudly "I HAVE HAD ENOUGH"...I got applause!

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#13re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:53am

A piece of ****.

Also, I find it funny how there are all these A CHORUS LINE thread all of a sudden.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#14re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:54am

I fell in love with this movie when I was younger. I had never seen it on stage, so I didn't know what was changed. It's one of those movies that I'm sure if I saw for the first time now I would hate it, but I just can't. I love it.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#15re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:55am

A chorus line was the wicked of his time.
(just kidding!)

I dilike the movie, but not that much... it's just a bad movie.
In other hand, I really love the show!

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!!
#16re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 12:55am

I wonder what its like to someone who has no knowlege at all to the show. I think I saw it years ago long before i knew the show, I was like 11, but i forgot it. So mostly forgettable. Somone should just put the show on video like cats or le miz.

ChicagoManic Profile Photo
ChicagoManic
#17re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:06am

Well I'll speak as someone who has only seen the movie, and never the actual show. Upon first view, before ever hearing music or knowing anything about it, I liked it, a lot actually. The dancing was good, and most of the songs were pretty good. Later after I got the OBC and started reading about it, I find I really want to see it on stage, and from what I have read, everyone agrees that the movie is pretty much trash compared to the show. But I actually do still enjoy it from time to time lol.

Carrie: Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you are to become who you will be.

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#18re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:11am

I'm so sorry for you Chicago (kidding...sort of) -- no really -- I am....

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie

ChicagoManic Profile Photo
ChicagoManic
#19re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:12am

I really really want to see it on stage! I've been dying too for awhile lol.

Carrie: Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you are to become who you will be.

CJR
#20re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:16am

ACL the movie does not do the show justice at all.

But the movie is worth it for the incredibly talented Vicki Frederick (who plays Sheila)..... And of course, Nicole Fosse plays Kristine.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#21re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:03am

how could Audrey Landers be mis-cast? She fit the total T&A girl mold to should i say it? a "T".....she was the best part of the flick. Her rendition of "Dance:10; Looks: 3" was the best thing about that movie.... re: a chorus line-movie Updated On: 8/30/04 at 02:03 AM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#22re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:26am

If you were lucky enough to have seen the Broadway show (I was, a number of times) you would really understand how much this movie SUCKED!!! There have been so many bad stage to film transfers and IMO this was one of the worst. The Wiz comes in a close second and I can think of a few more but I'll stop there. This was one of the best Broadway shows ever and to have people wonder why to ran for so many years once they saw the movie, was a shame.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 8/30/04 at 02:26 AM

courtm Profile Photo
courtm
#23re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:46am

I also thought the movie sucked...even without seeing the stage version. I made the mistake of buying without ever seeing it, so now I own it. The dancing was okay...it was mildly entertaining to see Michael Douglas in his earlier years.

CurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
#24re: a chorus line-movie
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:33am

God-Awful!!! A boring mess! Possibly the worst film adaptation of a stage musical. On second thought... make that THE WORST! I can't think of a worse one.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela

Videos