pixeltracker

Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!

Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!

Rentaholic2
#0Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/19/04 at 10:54pm

Ok, I'm possibly going to New York in a couple of weeks...I went when I was little, but never saw a Broadway show (although I've now seen many tours). Anyway, I really need help! I can see 2, possibly 3 shows.

I planned on seeing Rent, Wicked, and Avenue Q, three musicals that I am in love with. Then I thought it might be cool to see ONE new show that I know absolutely nothing about. So.....

Out of the latest NEW shows, which one should I see??

Little Women? (I don't really know how "previews" work)
Dracula?
The Frogs?

All comments appreciated! Keep in mind that I will not get to go back in a LONG time, and I'm a sucker for big musicals and emotional music (love the Lion King, Les Miz, Rent, etc)

Derek2
#1re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/19/04 at 10:59pm

Hmmmm. If you're in the mood for an upbeat show thats funny see the frogs (also if ur a nathan lane fan). If you're into big musicals with a lot of flying lol and powerful music and one thats not too funny...see Dracula, I just read a great review on it. I'm not too sure when Little Women opens or previews but Sutton Foster (the star) is amazing. Im sure the music will be good as well. The plot is really old and kinda boring though. If I were you I'd go see Dracula. Also 42nd Street is amazing as well.

Millie42 Profile Photo
Millie42
#2re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/19/04 at 10:59pm

Little Women doesnt hit NY till December.
Dracula is around but not getting the best of reviews.
I know nothing about The Frogs... I am not a Lane fan so I havent looked into it.

Hairspray is always a safe bet. I have never met a person that didnt love it!

"My friends have made the story of my life." -Helen Keller

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#3re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/19/04 at 11:07pm

I DO NOT reccomend seeing "42nd Street" I hated it.

"Hairspray" is a great, upbeat, feel good show.
"Dracula" was deemed boring by reviews, but you never know, you could like it!
"The Frogs" is sort of a "quiet hit." I've heard great things about it, it's Sondheim and Nathan Lane, you can't go very wrong there.

If "Caroline, or Change" was still open by the time you're going, I'd TELL you to go see that. Amazing piece of musical theater.

Rentaholic2
#4re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/19/04 at 11:11pm

That's right about little Women...fortuneatly, I may be visiting Duke soon, which is where it is playing if i'm not mistaken. I don't really like the Hairspray album, but I can't say i dont like the show cause i've never seen it. Thank you for your suggestions.

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#5re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 12:05am

I wouldn't waste your money or time on Dracula. I loved The Frogs - but not everybody does. It would be a gamble, but how can you beat Nathan and Roger in the same show? re: Which shows to see??  HELP, PLEASE!!!

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Updated On: 8/20/04 at 12:05 AM

saddle shoe side kick
#6re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 12:07am

Skip those three and go see Hairspray! -Penny

"I'm a pretty girl, mama." -Penny Lou Pingleton, Hairspray
"You like football, Ed?" "Yeah..." "Good. Me too." -Chad & 'Ed', All Shook Up

NYUstud Profile Photo
NYUstud
#7re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 12:11am

I would see Producers also! Hunter Foster is amazing in it. I think he is 10 times better than Mathew Broderick. To bad you missed Assassins, it was great great great. Avenue Q is also a must!

"So much of me is made of what I learned from you. You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart."-Wicked

Rentaholic2
#8re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 5:51pm

What about Brooklyn? When does it open and is it supposed to be good? (better than dracula). I would like to see "the next big show" if you know what i mean.....the wicked of '04

mtdog13
#9re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 5:54pm

See Forbidden Broadway (Michael West was AMAZING), Rent, Wicked, or Aida. The other 3 were so-so.

There is nothing I would like to do more than act.

NBRISBY Profile Photo
NBRISBY
#10re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 6:00pm

see brooklyn if you can.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#11re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 6:05pm

Previews are the period of time prior to the official opening. They may make some revisions to the show prior to the opening, but as an audience member at a preview you won't notice a difference. It's not like it's a working rehearsal.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

#12re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 9:10pm

Hairspray. Who couldn't have a fun time there? Be aware that the hilarious Harvey Fierstein and talented Marissa Jaret Winokur aren't around to give a flawless performance!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#13re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 9:34pm

42nd Street - I enjoyed it. Not everyone here likes it, but the tap dancing is amazing and it is a fun show.

Hairspray

The Producers - Hunter Foster

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#14re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 9:36pm

Little Women is coming in December? So that means that poeple can get tickets for January? (Obviously it'll still be in previews)

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#15re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 9:39pm

See HAIRSPRAY

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#16re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 9:42pm

I would see DRACULA. I have not seen it yet but I know it's awsome. lol

ponine24601
#17re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 9:44pm

i'm going to add to the Hairspray love!

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

ProducersFan
#18re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:06pm

I'm going to put in votes for The Producers and The Frogs - you can't go wrong with either one. re: Which shows to see??  HELP, PLEASE!!!

~Jessica

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#19re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:13pm

See ASSASSINS!--ohhh, wait...

nevermind.
then see CAROLINE, or CHANGE!!!...eeeep, dammit!
-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

gwapnisky Profile Photo
gwapnisky
#20re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:21pm

Go see Little Shop. Oh wait.. You only have 48 hours left.

Mythus
#21re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:35pm

My vote is for The Frogs. I haven't seen it, but from what I've heard, it's a great show - as long as you don't go there expecting it to be, say, The Producers. I'm not saying it's bad, just that it's not really a huge, glitzy, razzmatazz musical (except maybe for Pluto's number).

Millie42 Profile Photo
Millie42
#22re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/21/04 at 12:05am

I share the frustration of you all.
Is the life of a Broadway addict always this upsetting?

When I think of recommendations in my mind I automatically hear:
Oh! Go to Millie...no, wait... Assassins! oh no no... Little Shop!.. umm.
I feel like I put a curse on whatever shows I really love right after I see them. At least I know I cant bring Wicked down. (NOT meant as a pun)

"My friends have made the story of my life." -Helen Keller

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#23re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/21/04 at 12:08am

Why not Wicked? Hairspray is another good choice to.

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#24re: Which shows to see?? HELP, PLEASE!!!
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:15am

i have got to agree with the majority of this board and say HAIRSPRAY! although, i would suggest Boy From Oz if you're a hugh jackman fan. the show as a whole i'm not a big fan of, but hugh is awesome in it...he pretty much MAKES the show. but if you want to see the "next hit on broadway" i'd go with Brooklyn. eden espinosa is amazing and the music is, well...different, but unique.

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

Videos