THE PRODUCERS FILM

Ebonic_Singer
#0THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:24am

I'm all for the Nathan Lane and Broderickification in the film, but how to you all feel about Nicole Kidman in it?

Edit: I'm sorry if this is a repeat post! Updated On: 8/21/04 at 01:24 AM

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#1re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:26am

Well, people will tell you she has no place being in it, when the fact remains that she is the biggest movie star we have today and she will bring an audience to the film that would not have otherwise seen it.
I also think she will do a fantastic job, just like she always does.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

SMichaelK Profile Photo
SMichaelK
#2re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:31am

I agree Matt_G, She is a fantastic actor. While I will miss Cady Huffman, Nicole Kidman has always given it her best, and I do believe she will be able to do pretty well. Oh by the way, ES, your probably gonna have people complaining that this is a repeat post, but hey, trust me I've apparently had like three of those.

You, you are the worst thing to happen to musical theater since Andrew Lloyd Webber... and you I just don't like you.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#3re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:39am

Don't worry, I'll protect you ES. After all, you have a pic of Stewie so I gotta love ya!

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#4re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:42am

I don't mind at all. I rather like her as an actress - plus, she's proven she can play the sensual dumb-blonde with the trailer to the Stepford Wives.

I think we should thank our lucky stars that so many performers from the original Broadway cast are involved in the project at all.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

Ebonic_Singer
#5re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:44am

Very true BlueWizard--I mean, who else could play Nathan and Matt's parts? It's a good thing they're broadway/movie stars. They seem to have an awsome balance that they can be in huge movies but still be cast as leads and it wouldn't be stunt casting.

And thanks Matt_G. Family Guy rocks.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#6re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:54am

Plus, Nicole Kidman is such a huge press and box office draw that her involvement with the project virtually guarantees that it will be a success. Matthew and Nathan, although famous, don't have anywhere near the Hollywood might that Kidman has.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

Jon
#7re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 2:02am

Everyone is so worried about "Now Ulla Belt!"- well I was just re-watching Moulin Rouge, and she belted parts of "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" pretty good.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#8re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 2:40am

She'll be fine. I kind of hope they use lots of star cameo's in the part where they audition the Hitlers.

Ebonic_Singer
#9re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 3:04am

Haha t'would be quite the funniness.

ProducersFan
#10re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 8:15am

I'm quite fine with Nicole - it's Will that I'm still doubtful on... Once I saw Stepford Wives I felt better, but I've never seen Will do a German accent or sing. But I trust Mel and Susan's judgments so I know it will all be okay. Plus having Gary and Roger makes up for it. re: THE PRODUCERS FILM

~Jessica

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#11re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 9:22am

As I've posted before, I think ice-cold Kidman is a huge mistake.

If she does the film, that set will NOT be a happy or relaxed one.

And I suspect Mel and Stro will be kicking themselves.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 8/21/04 at 09:22 AM

lovettespies Profile Photo
lovettespies
#12re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 10:26am

I'm excited about the casting. I think that Will can rise up to the challenge as well as Nicole. Of course I'm just being optimistic, because if this movie sucks it will be a big dissapointment.

Keep the peace, take care of each other, and may you find your promised land. -TJST

Mythus
#13re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 10:53am

I don't think it'll do badly. I'm just glad they casted Roger Bart and Gary Beach, I don't know what I would do if they were replaced.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#14re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 10:54am

Nicole Kidman is one of my favorite actresses. I think she'll do a great job.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#15re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 11:00am

"If she does the film, that set will NOT be a happy or relaxed one"

Everyone I know that has worked with her has only had the nicest of things to say. She might like things done the right way, but that in no way makes her a pain in the ass to work with. She also happens to be one of the sweetest people you could ever want to meet. I'm sure the entire cast and crew will have a fine time filming this movie with her.

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#16re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 11:13am

It took me awhile to get on the Will Ferrell bandwagon, but he's really shown himself to be a very funny comedic actor and an all around great performer. I think the Liebkind role is right up his alley, and it's the type of singing role he can pull off without them having to compromise anything. Plus, he's a total perfectionist so you know he'll put everything he has into the role. If you have doubts, watch his Neil Diamond or Robert Goulet parodies.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

CurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
#17re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 11:35am

And let's not forget his "right-on" James Lipton! Hilarious!!!

P.S. IMO Nicole will be sensational!!! Great casting!

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela
Updated On: 8/21/04 at 11:35 AM

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#18re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 11:38am

nicole is my woman, so my opinion is too biased.

::bust a move::

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#19re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 1:34pm

"But I trust Mel and Susan's judgments so I know it will all be okay."

Definately agree with that comment. Say what you will about Mel or Stro (I know there have been some scattered comments about "Stro" especially on here) but I think we may (possibly?) be able to agree that neither of them are known to give anything but 100% on any project either of them work on. I mean, Stroman alone is known for taking chances when it comes to her work. I know a lot of people were surprised that she will be directing the film but I think the fact that Mel Brooks has so much faith in her (as a director and a choreographer) that he is allowing her to direct the film....I think that says a lot.

Plus, with the huge success of the show, seems like all eyes are on her as to how she'll handle not only directing a film that is the subject of so much discussion before it has even started filming, but also on her directing her first big budget (just assuming it will be) and feature film. I mean, she seems to have the Broadway thing down pat, but (although she does have some experience with film) this is a whole other league.

"If she does the film, that set will NOT be a happy or relaxed one"

I have to echo Matt_G on this one. I've had very limited experience with her myself but I've heard nothing but good things about Ms. Kidman from people who have worked with her.

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

timote316
#20re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 3:27pm

Just put it this way: has Mel Brooks EVER miscast anyone? Nicole will be great, Will will be hilarious, and Roger, Gary, Matthew and Nathan are amazing anyway. This movie should be good

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#21re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 3:41pm

I love Nicole. I think shes always good, although she not the strongest singer.

Just think of all the people they MIGHT have chosen to play Ulla. Theres a lot of competition to play the dummb blonde.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#22re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 4:30pm

You are right, Matt. And YES this is a repeat post (check with a search and you'll see we've beaten this topic to death). I AM surprised that more of the anti-Nicole posters have not arrived to repeat all the reasons why this woman should NOT be in the film. I won't repeat them however since they are amply represented in old posts.

Suffice it to say that I do NOT think Nicole is right for this part in stature, talent OR warmth (of which she has none) and she has a reputation for making shoots difficult. I do NOT think she will attract big box office. Either people are going to want to see this film or they aren't. No one who LOVES Nicole will go to the film just to see her on screen for 10 min and if they expand her role to accommodate the STAR...it will ruin the rest of the film.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#23re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 4:53pm

i think Nicole Kidman being in it is great! and i think she will do wonderful job with the part...i can't wait!!

Prettylittlepicture Profile Photo
Prettylittlepicture
#24re: THE PRODUCERS FILM
Posted: 8/21/04 at 5:35pm

Well, personally I'm still breathing a sigh of relief that they kept Roger Bart and Gary Beach in! No one can replace them!

But Cady Huffman was fantastic. I'm a little upset that she's being replaced- but think of all the more people that will come because they heard she was in it. And also, I think Nicole is very talented. Will Ferrel will bring in people too.

I'll open a souvlaki stand! I don't even know what souvlaki is, but people seem to LOVE them!- Xanthias
You see this tree? It is a fir tree. It's called a fir tree because it gives us fur- for coats! It also gives us wool in the wintertime!- Lucy "Little Known Facts"

Videos