Biggest Miscast

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#25re: Biggest Miscast
Posted: 8/30/04 at 10:50pm

Did you really think Kerry was miscast in LSOH? I thought she and Hunter were flawless.

Jon
#26re: Biggest Miscast
Posted: 8/30/04 at 10:56pm

Kathryn Crosby in STATE FAIR. If her name had been Kathryn Jones, she wouldn't have gotten the part in a community theatre.

also

Loretta Swit as Princess Puffer in DROOD. She refused to do the bizzare hair and make-up -- in fact, she refused to play the character. She was just Loretta Swit reading Puffer's lines and singing her songs.

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#27re: Biggest Miscast
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:07am

I'm one of the least critical viewers youll meet, and i ADORED Hunter. I jsut thought Kerry was missing something, maybe it was the direction. There WASN'T a weak link in the cast, but if there was I think it would have been her. I guess she wasn't the WORST- she had some great moments,but still... She was adorable with a gorgeous voice though!

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Updated On: 8/31/04 at 12:07 AM

QueenMuppet Profile Photo
QueenMuppet
#28re: Biggest Miscast
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:20am

I don't know, I must also be one of the few people who thought Kerry Butler was excellent as Audrey. Just loved her performance.

Biggest miscast though.... I need to think about this one.

QM

'He really wasn't good as Fieyro. Is it just me or does he sort of come across as a pimp? Just...the hand motions I've seen him do and the attitude..not that Taye is a pimp.' - SallyBrown on Taye Diggs as Fiyero

notsovirginmary Profile Photo
notsovirginmary
#29re: Biggest Miscast
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:36am

Bernadette- Gypsy. Something just didn't click for me. Plus, I find the cast recording incredibly difficult to listen to, it sounds like she is putting herself through hell in order to get those notes out.

Kerry Butler- Little Shop: I adored her in Hairspray, and I love her voice. But I wasn't feeling her Audrey. "And a toastaaaa"

Michelle Federer-Wicked: Please find someone doesn't sound as if they are gasping for air on every line like an incredibly high-strung child.

"A wonky eye, you've got my friend."
Updated On: 8/31/04 at 12:36 AM

Michael Strathmore Profile Photo
Michael Strathmore
#30re: Biggest Miscast
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:46am

A while back I watched Alan Thicke try to be Billy Flynn. Man, that was painful. Growing Pains, indeed.

Ebonic_Singer
#31re: Biggest Miscast
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:57am

Tammy Blanchard in Gypsy!!!!!! SHe was TERRIBLE! And it especially pissed me off because my friend was auditioned for the role. She was just awful--she couldn't sing and her acting was very eh. Not good at all.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#32re: Biggest Miscast
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:22am

Besides david Hasselhoff....Sebastian Arcelus in Rent. He could even sing the score...much less act the part.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#33re: Biggest Miscast
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:30am

You mean *couldn't sing the score? I hear ya on that one. Luckily the same time I saw him, I saw Karmine Alers as Mimi, and she made up for the two of them.

BTW, true or false that Sebastian got fired??

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Michael Strathmore
#34John Stamos...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:30am

Oh lord, how could I forget John Stamos in How to Suceed In Business Without Really Trying. That's right, he was cast to replace Mr. Broderick.

That was by far, one of the most questionable Broadway performances I have ever seen.

--M--

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#35John Stamos...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:31am

I really, really enjoyed Tammy Blanchard in GYPSY.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#36re: Biggest Miscast
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:32am

i guess im not alone, i also thought tammy blanchard was mis-cast in "gypsy". her louise left me cold.... crista moore was way better in the role and got me hot when she made the leap from "geeky no-talent" to "va-va-voom stripper". Updated On: 8/31/04 at 01:32 AM

CJR
#37re: Biggest Miscast
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:35am

Alan Thicke as Billy Flynn was not NEARLY as painful as George Hamilton as Billy....

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Michael Strathmore
#38ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:39am

Wow, that's pretty bad. Okay, you win.

ouch...

--M--

CJR
#39ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 1:53am

I've seen my far share of scary actors and actresses come in and out of that company.... it hasn't always been a bed of roses lol

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#40ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 5:27am

Brooke Shields in ANYTHING

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

venticelli Profile Photo
venticelli
#41ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 5:57am

yes - oh how did I forget uncle jessie himself? Stamos was awful in H2Succeed!
Ricky Martin in Les Mis

"What could a computer do with a lifetime supply of chocolate? I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do with a lifetime supply of chocolate!"

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#42ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 9:01am

Recent times, absolutely Kerry Butler as Audrey. Big mistake.

Michael Strathmore
#43ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 9:59am

Stamos really was terrible. I remember watching some of his cast members freeze and try to cover for him on stage as he fumbled through his lines. And don't get me started about his pitch, or lack thereof...

I was cringing most of the show.

Question, why does this man continue to get work??

--M--

Princess MimiChica Profile Photo
Princess MimiChica
#44ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:09am

whoa, whats with the hatred against Sebastian!?! I love the guy!! I saw him as Mark and thought he was great =) Granted, maybe Roger was a more difficult role for him, but there have been lots of worse Rogers.

Also, when did people stop loving John Stamos!? I never saw him perform live, but the guy can sing judging from old Full House episodes...anyway that's a shame because I remember loving him in that 80's Alice In Wonderland movie.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#45ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:16am

Unfortunately, John Stamos is a show closer. He's the biggest miscast in pretty much everything they put him in.

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#46ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:18am

Jon Secada - Cabaret
Half the cast of Gypsy
also hated Manley Pope in Rent (nodes anyone?)

i think there are sooo many horrible casting mistakes out there - trying to name them all is pointless

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#47ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:20am

I'd say everyone in GYPSY except Bernadette and the strippers. Compare it to the Tyne Daly production - that was some flawless casting all the way around.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#48ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:22am

And I forgot-Joey Fatone in Rent.

Michael Strathmore
#49ouch...
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:24am

Princess MimiChica,

Never refer to anything in Full House for a benchmark on talent...

ouch...

--M--