pixeltracker

Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January- Page 3

Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#50re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 6:39pm

Even though i really cant see him in the role, i say all the luck to the company and to Harvey. I would REALLY like to see him do the role. re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#51re: Fierstein Accepts Offer For Tevye - Begins Performances in January
Posted: 11/10/04 at 6:46pm

I am beyond furious to see him in the role.

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#52Harvey may break our hearts in the role
Posted: 11/10/04 at 6:55pm

I'm with all the posters who say, Now we have a reason to go. I felt Broadway needed another FIDDLER like it needed another GREASE.

But Harvey will bring something really wonderful: real warmth.

He plays parental so naturally (remember TORCH SONG?) And this role is all about being an uber-parent. Harvey also plays bewildered, stubborn, and he has great power on the stage--that comes naturally and has only grown as he's aged. Then, add that twinkle in his eye. He may break our hearts. Let's give him a chance. I'm there.

I salute the producers for turning to someone in the theater community, a frequent topic provoking ire at this board.

Folks, we could've ended up with Gerald McRaney.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 11/10/04 at 06:55 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#53Harvey may break our hearts in the role
Posted: 11/10/04 at 7:03pm

Amen, Auggie!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#54Harvey may break our hearts in the role
Posted: 11/10/04 at 7:23pm

Gerald McRaney??? He's too Jew for this production.

Try Michael York!

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

dotmarie Profile Photo
dotmarie
#55Harvey may break our hearts in the role
Posted: 11/10/04 at 8:10pm

Well this should be interesting. I can't wait!

What's surprising to me is that Fiddler is still open...

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#56Harvey may break our hearts in the role
Posted: 11/10/04 at 8:21pm

That is an interesting choice and in fact I really want to watch him in that role.

My idea Tevye is Brian Stokes Mitchell.

M J R Profile Photo
M J R
#57Harvey may break our hearts in the role
Posted: 11/10/04 at 8:28pm

Sam - All I'm saying is that as an actor, I will NEVER judge someone's performance until I've seen it on the stage. If after his opening night Harvey stinks and can't sing it, then ROAST him. But none of us know what he's CAPABLE of by making judgements from our Hairspray CDs.

Hold our judging tongues until we have something to judge.

"High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man" - Tears for Fears

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#58...
Posted: 11/10/04 at 8:35pm

This is funny - either people are very excited about it and others are going "Oy."

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

gettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
#59...
Posted: 11/10/04 at 9:03pm

Will they bring in Jackie Hoffman to play Yente?

'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt

eatlasagna
#60...
Posted: 11/10/04 at 9:47pm

wasn't his character in Mulan straight? haha...

his sexuality has nothing to do with why i think this casting is... well... wrong... it's his voice... for all i know, he could act the **** out of that role... but when he sings.. i shudder..

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#61...
Posted: 11/10/04 at 10:18pm

Rath, I remember Daly's GYPSY well. She stunk.

I remain convinced she won the Tony be cause the judges were afraid she'd deck them if they didn't give it to her. ...

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 11/10/04 at 10:18 PM

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#62...
Posted: 11/10/04 at 11:02pm

Ok, now I have to see this show just to laugh my ass off at that guy doing this.

timote316
#63...
Posted: 11/11/04 at 12:11am

I'm sorry, I love Harvey as much as the next guy, but... no. Ah well, the show is going to close anyway (within a few months to get ready for Woman in White), might as well lol

pab Profile Photo
pab
#64...
Posted: 11/11/04 at 12:22am

"Woman In White" has a whole year before it opens on Broadway.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#65...
Posted: 11/11/04 at 3:08am

To all those who prejudge, I have just two words for you:
Brooke Shields.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#66...
Posted: 11/11/04 at 3:58am

I find the fact Harvey is taking on this monumental role one of the bravest things an actor has done on Broadway. We all know what an incredibly brave person Harvey is and always has been. The easy thing for him to do would be to take on the role of Albin in La Cage. Great money there, cuz he also gets a chunk for the writing credit.

I believe that as an artist Harvey wants to stretch, and God, who can blame him? But by taking on the role of Tevya, one of the most beloved characters in Broadway history, he might be saying something to the “Red Staters” that were coming to see “A Big Ol’ Broadway Show.” “Look, an openly gay man can believe in tradition AND make you think I am in love with a woman.”

Maybe he just wants to ACT!!

I say knock ‘em dead, Harvey. Your heart is in it, and that is where your talent comes from. That and the twinkle in your eye…

PEACE.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#67...
Posted: 11/11/04 at 11:05am

MJR: I'm not judging him from the Hairspray CDs but from years of following his career. AND in fact I am not judging him at all. I will not be buying tickets to the show but I am willing to hear from others whether he is good or bad. Still it is human to have opinions and mine is that Harvey (while a wonderful actor) is not right for this role. Not every actor fits every role. Shades of Henry Goodman (another fine actor) who was cast as Max B and didn't cut it.

That's all I am saying. You, of course, are entitled to decry the end of the acting community and theater as we know it. I'd rather look to stunt casting and bloated techno-stage productions as the end of theater as we know it. That is more threatening to me than our attitude toward other actors.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#68...
Posted: 11/11/04 at 11:10am

'I'd rather look to stunt casting and bloated techno-stage productions as the end of theater as we know it.'

Sorry, Sam. It may be the end of Broadway as we know it, but it sure as sh*t ain't the end of theatre as we know it. Hell, it ain't even the end of NEW YORK theatre as we know it.

Come now. Broaden that world view, Sam!

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#69...
Posted: 11/11/04 at 11:39am

I guess I'm in the minority here - but I think Harvey will be wonderful in the role - it might actually get me to buy a ticket to the damned thing. He's a strong actor and full of heart - his Tevye will be a loving father and a strong support for the community of Anetevka. I am looking forward to it.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Pip Profile Photo
Pip
#70...
Posted: 11/11/04 at 11:49am

There's something to be said for an actor who can bring something fresh to a role, and I believe Harvey will do that. Wouldn't you rather be surprised at the unexpected rather than bored with the predictable? And why does a Russian peasant father have to have a great singing voice, anyway? I would love to see Harvey in this role.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#71...
Posted: 11/11/04 at 12:47pm

I say we have a FIDDLER-going party!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#72HOLY CRAP!
Posted: 11/11/04 at 3:31pm

He looks AMAZING!! I'm there!

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/89540.html

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston
Updated On: 11/11/04 at 03:31 PM

#73Harvey
Posted: 11/11/04 at 3:56pm

I find the choice to be brilliant. Anyone who say Torch Song knows he has the chops to be a heartwrenching and talented actor. Sure he is known for his camp and his comedy but he could do it.
I saw Bravo! And I will be going cause he will make the show fresh again.