overdone musicals

geri loves wicked
#0overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 5:08pm

Which musicals do you think are the most worn-out? I'm so sick of Anything Goes (which i hate anyway), Bye Bye Birdie, Guys and Dolls, and Pippin being done at every High School and Community Theatre...why don't any places take a chance and do something interesting like Urinetown?!

Everybody's got the right to their dreams...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 5:20pm

The Sound of Music
Once Upon a Mattress
How To Succeed...
South Pacific
Grease
Bye Bye Birdie

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

TheatreRatinBlue Profile Photo
TheatreRatinBlue
#2re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 5:21pm

I think that the reason that high schools "over" do those musicals is because they're easy shows for a high school to put on, you've gotta think that most high school theatre budgets are very minimal, they're easy set easy costume, and the royalities to those shows aren't as much as things like Urinetown, which is a show that I really don't think a high school should be doing. I agree i don't understand why high schools don't do things like jekyll and hyde or scarlet pimpernel, a show like that, lesser know ones. My high school did Pirates of Penzance a year after i graduated and it actually worked (which is weird due to the lack of talent at that school). Updated On: 11/19/04 at 05:21 PM

Chevstriss
#3re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 5:31pm

I've seen more productions of Nunsense, Evita, and Into the Woods than anything else. but i don't attend Hi school shows.

I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog

faeri
#4re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 5:37pm

Fiddler on the Roof
Buddy

My school's done both of those at least twice, but last year they did Will Roger's Follies, and the King and I, and this year they're doing To Kill a Mockingbird and (guess what) Fiddler on the Roof.
To Kill a Mockingbird was awesome- they flipped the stage around so that the audience sat on the stage, with an extension going about 30 rows into the auditorium for a set. It was pretty neat.

Chevstriss
#5re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 6:07pm

Tequila Mockingbird isn't a musical, but it certainly is overdone.

I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#6re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 6:10pm

Once Upon A Mattress!! Everyone is doing it here right now and I hate it!!! One of our community theaters recently took a chance and did Ragtime, which turned out wonderfully. I was in it, and it went to state competition. I was very pleased with it... I just thought I would say lol

kates
#7re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 6:15pm

annie

"Commit a little mortal sin, its good for the soul"

lostwallflower Profile Photo
lostwallflower
#8re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 6:19pm

I second Annie.

"I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber, I'm a cuber. Please don't take me to the pickle farm."- Brak

#9re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 6:21pm

Annie
The King and I
and in the reginal areas...
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#10re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 6:24pm

I agree with Annie too.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#11re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 6:43pm

Definitely agree with Annie and Nunsense...but I'd like to throw in Oklahoma as well. I like the show, but at least in my life, there have been FAR too many productions of it.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 7:09pm

Oklahoma
Carousel
West Side Story
My Fair Lady
Man Of La Mancha

Poster Emeritus

#13re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 7:13pm

Grease. Annie. Music Man.

Before the current theatre teacher came to my high school, Grease was done EVERY year. It was a tradition. But thank God Mrs Jordan broke tradition cause I can't stand it.

Yankeefan007
#14re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 7:29pm

annie
annie get your gun
grease
the music man
the sound of music
bye bye birdie
oliver
little shop of horrors

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#15re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 7:30pm

Ah! I hate high schools doing Godspell!!! I"M SICK OF IT!

BWIDB Charlie
#16re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 11:02pm

I was quite fortunate that I went to a HS which tried to not do overdone shows. Here's a sample of the musicals they have done (the ones seperated are the 4 I was there for.) If you care about plays, lemme know!

Barnum
Funny Girl
Pippin

-mine-
42nd Street
Titanic
The Wiz
Steel Pier
-End mine-

Children of Eden
Parade

As for overdone musicals...

Grease, Oklahoma, Guys And Dolls, The Music Man, Children of Eden, Little Shop of Horrors, Once Upon A Mattress, Fiddler On The Roof, Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

And the two newest overdone pieces........
*drum roll*

Footloose and Seussical! Updated On: 11/19/04 at 11:02 PM

badkarma719 Profile Photo
badkarma719
#17re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 11:07pm

Little abner

4 in the past 3 years

Footloose
3 in the past 6 months

In the words of the great MargoChanning "Broadwayworld.com -- Your One Stop on the Internet for All Things Broadway, Nasty Political Discussions, Meltdowns, Name-Calling and General Nonsense along with being a Premiere Pick-up Joint for Hotties, Shut-ins, Rambunctuous Teenagers With Bad Grammar, and All Manner of Bitter, Jaded Theatre Queens with WAY Too Much Time on Their Hands"?

FosseBoi
#18re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 11:18pm

Grease and Bye Bye Birdy!!! A certin theatre groupe, with not much talent, has done these 2 musicals 2 times 2 close to each other!!!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#19re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 11:26pm

Annie Get Your Gun

hate that musical...

we didn't get to do Joseph, because another school stole it from us,... and we haven't done Fiddler, The Music Man... and we will NEVER do Grease... the choir director hates it

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#20re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/19/04 at 11:28pm

i know its not a musical.

but two words.

our. town.

amiliablair Profile Photo
amiliablair
#21re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/20/04 at 1:14am

I am rfom Tennessee, and EVERY theatre here does Smoke on the Mountain or Sander's Family Christmas (the sequal) ALL THE TIME!! It seems like every night, you could see the one of the shows somewhere. They were off-braodway some time ago and are about a group of bluegrass musicians singing at a southern baptist church (like I said-I live in Tennesse)! The shows are great and halerious. I was even in one and had a blast...but gees!! leave some room for other shows to be done!!!

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#22re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/21/04 at 4:02pm

In my experience it is...
The Music Man
Bye Bye Birdie
Little Shop of Horrors
Oklahoma!
Oliver!
Annie
Grease
Joseph and his...
Guys and Dolls

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#23re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/21/04 at 4:10pm

PIPPIN!! sweet mother of god, i've been to 3 dif. pippin productions in the last three months, sweet jesus

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#24re: overdone musicals
Posted: 11/21/04 at 8:44pm

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Pippin
Jesus Christ Superstar
Godspell

Here in Buffalo, we had no less than FOUR production companies do A Chorus Line within the past year! I know that Micheal Bennett is from Buffalo, but sheesh!

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

Videos