pixeltracker

Where Do You Buy Your Broadway "Cast Recordings"?: )

Where Do You Buy Your Broadway "Cast Recordings"?: )

Megan Marie Profile Photo
Megan Marie
#0Where Do You Buy Your Broadway "Cast Recordings"?: )
Posted: 11/12/03 at 4:18pm

Note How I called them Cast Recordings, hence learning from my earlier mistake.
I usually buy my Cd's at A&B sound and places like that, and because I live in Canada buying from the States is a lot more expensive. I just wanted to know where everyone gets theirs from, if there are any websites that you go specifically to get any kind of broadway recordings? If you have any advice for me that would be great.
Thanks
Megan Marie*

tkts
#1re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/12/03 at 4:19pm

Amazon.

Cake or death?

#2re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/12/03 at 4:19pm

amazon.com is great

colonymusic.com

www.dresscircle.co.uk is great but it's in london

bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
#3re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/12/03 at 4:32pm

www.amazon.com

and

www.fynsworthalley.com

THEATRE 2020: CURTAINS**** LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE GIRLS***** WICKED***** KEITH RAMSAY TAKING NOTES WITH EDWARD SECKERSON***** KAYLEIGH MCKNIGHT CONCERT***** RAGS***** ON MCQUILLAN'S HILL** DEAR EVAN HANSEN***** THE JURY***

kec Profile Photo
kec
#4re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/12/03 at 4:56pm

Amazon, and if I'm in London, I'll sometimes find something at Tower on Picadilly Circus.

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#5re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/12/03 at 4:57pm

Ebay!!

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

King Stevos
#6re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/12/03 at 4:57pm

Well until I had trouble with Zanna Don't I have been paying extra for them at Barnes and Noble's but I also make a few trips to Tower everyonce and a while.

STEVOS

"IF I TRY THERE MAY BE A CHANCE / WE COULD LOVE WITH OUR EYES CLOSED/ WITH OUR EYES CLOSED WE COULD CHANGE THE WORLD!"- Stephen Dwight

newyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
#7re: re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/12/03 at 4:59pm

E BAY!! or I just Kazaa them:P

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#8re: re: re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/12/03 at 5:02pm

Virgin Megastore Times Square lately

used to be Best Buy

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/12/03 at 5:05pm

Wherever they're on sale. For hard to find items and foreign cast recordings: Footlight Records

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Dollypop
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/12/03 at 7:37pm

Usually I go to Border's Books and Music--just because I don't like to pay shipping and handling charges if I can avoid them. If not, I buy at Footlight Records in the city. It's really nice to shop in a place where the help REALLY knows what they're talking about!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

broadway geek Profile Photo
broadway geek
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/12/03 at 8:02pm

Amazon.com or if I don't feel like waiting Tower Records.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Re
Posted: 11/12/03 at 8:16pm

Footlight or Tower

Poster Emeritus

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Re
Posted: 11/12/03 at 8:44pm

I shop Border's or Barns and Nobles normally unless it a special case like little shop then I check places like Coconuts.

Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Re
Posted: 11/12/03 at 9:45pm

It's between either the Virgin in Times Square, the Virgin at Union Square, Footlight, or J&R Music World near Wall Street...they are the best store with the cheapest prices, and a wide variety of Cast Recordings. I buy all the older cast recordings from there, because everywhere else including Virgin charge entirely too much.

Cheers,
The Balladeer

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

RobbO Profile Photo
RobbO
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Re
Posted: 11/13/03 at 1:00am

amazon is good since what you typically pay for shipping and handling is about equal to what you would pay in taxes and higher prices at most retail stores. so it comes out about even in many cases - depending on the discount amazon offers.

for dvds, go to www.deepdiscountdvd.com - they even have free shipping and real low prices...

XING
PED

ozboy Profile Photo
ozboy
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Re
Posted: 11/13/03 at 4:09am

I live in Australia, so its ridiculously hard to get broadway recordings here. Very few record stores stock them, and when they do they're bunched with the soundtracks & they'll only have things that are currently running here (so right now its the lion king/producers/we will rock you and not much else) or the major past ones like Phantom, Les Miserables, etc.

The only place I buy from is Borders and Amazon.com, Borders are the only store here that have a dedicated 'Musicals' section & even that is months behind - they only got Nine a few weeks back! Amazon is good though. When you add international shipping I can still get CDs for cheaper than here - that's how overpriced ours are!

Jaynrand Profile Photo
Jaynrand
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Re
Posted: 11/13/03 at 7:30am

Another Amazon customer here. I also check Collectors Choice Music online for some of the older things. And of course EBAY.

Sam Goody's or Best Buy if I pay retail.

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Re
Posted: 11/13/03 at 8:32am

I buy mine at Borders, or amazon.com if they're rare

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

Cadriel
#19re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/13/03 at 8:48am

I tend to buy at Borders or Barnes & Noble. My library (it's over 100 cast recordings, so I think I get to call it that) is a little stacked in favor of shows from the last 20 years, but I've been working on bringing in older shows and at the same time keeping up with some of the recent material.

One of my favorites is the Columbia Broadway Masterworks series. It has tons of glorious old scores as recorded by Goddard Lieberson (who was the first person to think of cast albums in terms of telling the story, and really advanced it as an art) during the heyday of Columbia. The remasterings sound beautiful, and they're only $12 per disc - making them easy purchases.

-Wayne

BwayTheatre11
#20re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/13/03 at 3:20pm

Borders or Best Buy! Borders is expensive, but they have an extensive Cast Recording section. Best Buy sucks when it comes to that, but they are cheap and if they have it I will get it there. re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )

CCM '10!

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#21re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/14/03 at 9:05pm

Footlight, Amazon, and Whammo. (http://www.whammo.com)

Whammo is Australian -- VERY fast, and pretty darn cheap. People need to know more about it. :)

I go to Borders if I have a coupon.

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#22re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/15/03 at 2:51am

Hi,
I use live in Hong Kong but now is studying in UK. I use to buy in HMV and HK Records. HMV have more musicals recordings, but HK Records have more different casts recordings, and is more cheaper, so I will buy it in HK Records usualy. In UK, I go to HMV and Virgin and Dress Circle store. It is cheaper and more choices in Dress Circle store.
FELIX
My CHICAGO the musical group!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#23re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/15/03 at 8:51am

Since I'm currently residing in the country, I order online, but I'll soon be relocating to upstate New York, so I'll be able to shop more.

#24re: re: re: Where Do You Buy Your Broadway 'Cast Recordings'?: )
Posted: 11/15/03 at 8:51am

1. Tower at Lincoln Center
2. Footlights, lower East Side
3. Dress Circle, Monmouth St, London
4. Amazaon, sometimes

Yours for a better Broadway!

Videos