pixeltracker

Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?

Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?

musicfan2
#0Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/9/05 at 11:58pm

I am a fan of Kelly's and I heard her say in an interview that she was in talks to do something on Broadway and mentioned a revival of Funny Girl as a possibility. I am also a huge fan of Barbra's and, while I am too young to have been able to see the Broadway version, I LOVED the movie. This was Barbra's big break and I think that Kelly would have HUGE shoes to fill. That is a lot of added pressure. I was just wondering what you all thought about this? I would think they would have to alter the role a bit for Kelly to do it, because I am not sure she could pull of a Brooklyn Jew, but I think it could be interesting. She does have an outstanding voice.

Anyway, I am new here and I wasn't sure if I should post or not. But I have been reading these boards for a while now and would love to hear your opinions. Thanks, in advance. Updated On: 1/10/05 at 11:58 PM

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#1re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:01am

Shoot me. Shoot me now.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#2re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:03am

I have no idea if she can act or not, but I'd love to hear her sing that score.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#3re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:04am

well she does have an amazing voice..but i don't know what to think about this...i think she could belt out the part of elphaba like crazy not saying she should play it tho!

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#4re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?

Kelly is a vocal GODDESS. Not too sure about her acting skills either, though.

MargoChanning
#5re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?

Alter the role? Remember Fanny Brice was a very real person who happened to be a Brooklyn Jew (a fact that plays heavily in the the book and several numbers in the show). Do you suggest they rewrite it so that Fanny Brice can be from Texas and Ziegfeld discovers her in a country western bar down there?

Clarkson doing the role is a TERRIBLE idea.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 1/10/05 at 12:04 AM

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#6re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:07am

I can see Dame Edna put in a jolly good mood, Margo. re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?

But, yeah, bad idea.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#7re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:09am

Fine, I'll do it. Priest, be a pal and hand me that wig over there. The show must go on. re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 1/10/05 at 12:09 AM

More Cowbell Profile Photo
More Cowbell
#8re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:11am

Oh my gosh, no! That would be horrible. She has a good voice, but her acting (From Justin to Kelly anyone?) is pretty awful, and no one can fill Barbra's shoes!!

Bad, BAD idea.

musicfan2
#9re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:16am

I have no idea if Kelly can act. She said she did do musical theater at one point. As far as that horrid movie is concerned, I am not sure the best actress in the world could have done anything with that script. YUK.

Thanks for your opinions. I was skeptical when I heard this as well. I love Kelly and her voice is amazing, but the thought of anyone being compared to Barbra is just cruel.

And you are right about altering the role. It is late and that is my excuse for the stupidity. Anyway, if not Funny Girl, how would you feel about Kelly on Broadway in another musical? I know she is a popstar and that is not the most popular thing here, but as a fan I would love to see her get a shot at Broadway.

Jon
#10re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:18am

Any attepmt to revive Funny Girl on Broadway would be a mistake. The legions of Barbra fans would never accept anyone else in the role.

That said, I'd love to hear Kelly Clarkson belt out some Kander & Ebb tunes - Colored Lights, World Goes Round, Maybe This Time...

Anything Liza can belt, she can belt better... on pitch, at least.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#11re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:19am

I think she would ROCK the part of Maureen in RENT. Man, I would love to see/hear that.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#12re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:20am

Kelly on Broadway - sure. Kelly in this role, god no. Nothing against her at all - she's very beautiful (with make-up) and talented - but I wouldn't buy her as a scrawny, homely Brooklyn Jew.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#13re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:24am

That's what I've always thought, Spider.

timote316
#14re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:30am

I'm sure we'll be seeing Kelly on stage sooner or later, but she'd be quite dumb to take a role with such a legacy. You really need to be confident in your skills to take a role like that.

Jon
#15re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:30am

She'd be a great Annie Oakley - at least she's the right age.

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#16re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:45am

I don't know if she can act or not because I never bothered to see her From Justin to Kelly movie but I will say that, vocally, I think she could do it. She has an amazing voice and although her earlier songs were a bit too poppy for my taste she really could belt her songs out and I really liked that. I agree that she could really rock the part of Maureen. Ironically enough, I was looking around at Sephora wiht a friend and we asked this woman who was doing a temp job there for help and we got to talking about broadway and it turns out that she had just gotten a callback for Maureen in RENT on broadway. A little off subject but I thought it was kind of exciting. I hope she gets it, she was a really sweet person.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#17re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 12:53am

no,nO, No, NO! Why can't people just leave Funny Girl alone!?! Or if you're gonna revive it, get someone who has a Barbara-like quality who can fill those shoes! Don't just put a person in because they are a name! Oh God, I'm going to pray to the theatre gods that the idea of a revival falls on the right ears with the right person in mind. Updated On: 1/10/05 at 12:53 AM

immortalbroadwayLA
#18re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 1:00am

whoever has agreed to shoot bwaysinger could you pass a bullet my way to? I don't know why anyone would even attempt a full grand scale revival. Although the original was over 40 years ago that is one legendary performance that I doubt anyone could match...AND I highly doubt that an amateur like Kelly Clarkson could pull off the characterization of Fanny Brice in Funny Girl. Updated On: 1/10/05 at 01:00 AM

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#19re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 1:12am

I totally disagree with sweetiedarlinmia. You need to get AWAY from a "Barbra" type. For a revival to work, it needs to be reimagined. Not saying rewritten, but you've got to find a director that can put his own spin on the piece, and a leading lady to put HER own spin on the character. No one wants to see someone doing Babra doing Fanny Brice. I wish I could think of someone, but I'm at a loss right now. But whoever it is, I think they need to be essentially undiscovered... and amazing.

I'm sure Kelly will play Maureen soon, if she wants to be on Broadway. That's a perfect part for her. She also would be great as the girl in Mamma Mia, or maybe she could replace Jen Gambetese in All Shook Up or go into Good Vibrations. No Funny Girl though, please no.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

sweetiedarlinmia
#20re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 1:15am

Actually I dont want to see a revival at all. But it doesnt seem like that will be the case. Just my 2cents. Updated On: 1/10/05 at 01:15 AM

#21re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 1:16am

". . . get someone who has a Barbara-like quality. . ."

OR - and this is just a thought - how about someone with a Fanny Brice-like quality?

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#22re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 1:17am

Oh, I would LOVE to see a revival of the show. Now that they're reviving Hello Dolly in a few years, maybe someone will get the guts to revive Funny Girl. What a brilliant score.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

sweetiedarlinmia
#23re: Kelly Clarkson starring in a revival of Funny Girl?
Posted: 1/10/05 at 1:22am

Ah, yes. you're right DGrant. Oops! That was a brain fart on my part. Sorry. Updated On: 1/10/05 at 01:22 AM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise

Videos