Kavana Profile Photo
Kavana
#0Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 8:24am

Effie Melody White - Capathia Jenkins
Deena Jones - Taral Hicks
Lorrell Robinson - Fantasia Barrino
James Thunder Early - Cleavant Derricks

Casting for the WB/Dreamworks film Dreamgirls was a "hard film" to cast says Bill Condon "Since it was announced in January we have been flooded with calls from agents and fans alike wanting to know who we would cast." The obvious choices were to cast Beyonce Knowles as the diva Diana/Deena Jones who takes the lead in the musical group known as The Dreamettes the former group member Effie White was cast in the back because of her size. 1982 Dreamgirls opened to mixed reviews but there was no doubt who the star of the show was "Jennifer Holliday" who originated the roll of Effie White.

Condon "This film is way overdue which is way it was hard to cast this film, If you saw Jennifer Holliday in this roll in the eighties you would know what i am talking about when Effie is going into her song "and IM telling you (IM not going)" you feel every note you could see Jennifer hollidays sweat and tears and you could do nothing but stand and cheer before the song was even over, When i wrote the script i knew i had to have some way of putting the Original Cast Dreams in this film for the fans who waited two decades to see this on film"

Condon confirms Jennifer Holliday, Sheryl Lee Ralph, and Lorretta Devine will grace his film. But you will have to wait to see what roles they play.

The cast is full of Stage and Screen actors alike.
Cleavant Derricks (currently on Broadway in hit musical Brooklyn) was apart of the Original Broadway Cast. Asked why such an older cast member Condon stated the role of "James Early" could be a man in his 40's and Clevant looks & sings the same as 20 years ago. Derricks will also play part in vocal arrangement and soundtrack. Fantasia Barrino of American Idol fame was last to audition plays love interest to Derricks. Taral Hicks (A Bronx Tale - Belly) as Deena Jones and as Effie White - Capathia Jenkins (Broadway's Caroline, Or Change).

Three Roles of the "Dream Boys" have not been cast, Jamie Foxx is said to be in talks for Curtis Taylor, Jr.

LouieLovesTheater Profile Photo
LouieLovesTheater
#1re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 8:37am

Hmmmm...interesting casting.

Where did you find this?

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#2re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 8:52am

What a surprise! Capathia is a wonderful choice. Glad they went with someone for sheer talent.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#3re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 9:26am

That's surprising and FANTASTIC news. I can't wait to hear Capathia as Effie. She's one hell of a lucky woman to get that part!

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

BWayBoy88
#4re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 10:42am

Capathia will be amazing as Effie. Where did you find this?

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#5re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 11:39am

I love Taral, and I think it's great that she's working again. I can't believe I didn't even think of her for Deena, but, she is perfect for that role, as she is beautiful and has an amazing voice. She always brought me to tears in "Subway Stories".

As for Capathia, they turned down Latifah cause she was too old...Capathia ain't no spring chicken...

And isn't Cleavant Derricks a little too old for JTE?

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#6re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 11:44am

As mentioned above, nothing in the original material specifies that James Thunder Early has to be in his 20s.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

Bwaybaby109
#7re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 12:05pm

I don't know why but I really didn't like this musical. It just wasn't for my taste I guess. Then again I had a horrible time enjoying because the air went out in the Fox Theatre so it was so hot! I had no idea they were planning to make a movie of it, maybe I'll enjoy it better.

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#8re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 12:09pm

!! Capatha!! YAAY!! i fell in love with her at Caroline Or Change

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#9re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 12:11pm

Wow. If this is true, I'm VERY excited! I'm glad they didn't sell themselves short and go for Latifah, Beyonce, etc. just to get big names out there. Congrats to Fantasia Barrino! I can't wait to see her on screen!!!

pab Profile Photo
pab
#10re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 12:24pm

I hope that we are not getting excited about something that may not happen. A few people in this thread have asked where this information has come from and so far there has been no response to that question. I know that the title of the post says that the release date for the information is scheduled for Tuesday, March 8th, so I guess if we don't get an answer from Kavana, we will just have to wait and see.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#11re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 2:29pm

Interesting, though I'm kinda sad to see that Jennifer Hudson isn't cast as Effie. But que sera que sera. :-P It'll be interesting if this is the right casting and is announced on Tuesday.

www.christopherviolett.com

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#12re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 2:36pm

If this is true, I'd LOVE to see Capathia Jenkins as Effie. This woman has an INCREDIBLE voice...I'd LOVE to see her sing these songs. I hope after they mount this film, there will be a Broadway revival of this show.

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#13re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 2:36pm

where's the source? this is fake

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#14re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 2:46pm

While I don't think we should say this right off the bat, TonyaFanatic, it does seem strange that the article (or even portions of it) in this post wasn't available anywhere on Google, and if this really is a "legit" article from a reliable source, well, the writer should be shot for having such a piecemeal format and bad grammar.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#15re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 2:56pm

If this is true, I'm over the moon about Capathia - what a talent! But Fantasia? Come on.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Jon
#16re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 3:01pm

I'm suspicious of an "official release" that misspells "role" as "roll" and "a part" as "apart".

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#17re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 3:21pm

If hasn't been written in Variety or The Hollywood Reporter (which by the way it hasn't) it isn't valid information. This thread is phony. Please don't be so gullible people. This thread actually provided a much needed LAUGH.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#18re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 4:45pm

I can guaran-damn-tee you that not one BIT of this is true. The quotes from Bill Condon are made-up, the casting is made-up, the casting of Jennifer Holliday et al is made-up. All false.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

sipos
#19re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 5:14pm

Off with Kavana's head !

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#20re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 5:24pm

Taral is the only one listed that would work.
Capathia is definately too old for the role.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Plum
#21re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/5/05 at 5:25pm

All we have to do is wait 3 days and see.

#22re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/30/05 at 1:00pm

Can anyone conirm any of this???

#23re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/30/05 at 1:12pm

I just did a search online and came up with NOTHING!

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#24re: Dreamgirls Movie Cast List - Offical Release Date 3/8/05
Posted: 3/30/05 at 1:26pm

I checked on IMDb and there is no mention of the cast, just Bill Condon's name as writter and director.

Videos