Best Sets

BroadwayPer4mer03
#0Best Sets
Posted: 4/7/05 at 12:35pm

My favorite sets are POTO,Cats, and Wicked. The most unique I think are Cabaret, Lion King and Aida. They were all good but different and wasn't as detailed. What do you think???

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#1re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/7/05 at 12:44pm

I'd second Cats...
The Who's Tommy was pretty impressive also.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

mirramar
#2re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/7/05 at 1:03pm

All Shook Up has awesome sets!
I also like POTA, Wicked, and DRS.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#3re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/7/05 at 1:08pm

Sunset Blvd. was THE most effective, efficient set design I've ever seen. Big and glorious yet intimate and moody...all right when it needed to be. To say nothing of the functionality of the way it was engineered.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#4re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/7/05 at 1:30pm

I'm going old school with my fav show Sweeney Todd. The set is so good. They are able to keep the show on maybe 3 main pieces and thats it and it works really well.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#5re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/7/05 at 1:33pm

the best set designs I ever recall in my life were for
PACIFIC OVERTURES
COMPANY
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

ikmbway
#6re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/7/05 at 2:14pm

I love Wicked's set! Also i love how they use things in Rent so I will go with Rent too.

Jon
#7re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/7/05 at 2:20pm

Marin Mazzie, Sherie Scott and Kristin Chenoweth al have really nice sets.

Sant
#8re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/7/05 at 2:28pm

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - stunning sets. The staging of the title song is still one of the best scenes I've seen.

CATS

THE KING AND I revival

WICKED

WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND - the use of the 'liftable' platform which covered almost the whole stage was brilliant, dividing the stage to 'upstairs' and 'downstairs' and making the ceiling of the stage when pulled all the way up.

MrMarkCharlieBrownCohen Profile Photo
MrMarkCharlieBrownCohen
#9re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/7/05 at 3:34pm

Wicked
Producers
Chicago - simple, sleek and uber classy!

I like Rent also - the trap door impressed me more then it should have when I saw it in NY for the 1st time.

I also REALLY loved Parade - the tour, not the Bway - didnt see it.

BwayTheatre11
#10re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/7/05 at 3:39pm

The plays this season have the most gorgeous sets. That is possible, because of the limited number of scene changes.

CCM '10!

sassypanz
#11re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/7/05 at 4:15pm

Aida
Beauty amd the beast
Kiss me kate

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#12re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/7/05 at 4:18pm

Recently, the set of BROOKLYN BOY was fabulous.

Silly Bitch
#13re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/8/05 at 1:40am

At the moment I am in love with the DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS set. (well anything that David Rockwell does)

ASSASSINS also had a wonderful set, the way it was used was great!

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#14re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/8/05 at 1:44am

I've always liked the urban, gritty feeling of the RENT set. Very suiting for the storyline.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

RentBoy86
#15re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/8/05 at 2:03am

what's the trap door do in rent? I saw the tour version.

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#16re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/8/05 at 2:04am

Yeah I was wondering about that too. I've never seen the show live but I can't really see where the need for a trapdoor would fit in based off the recording and the script in the RENT bible....

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#17re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/8/05 at 2:28am

Loved the recent set in the Assasins revival. Captured the abandoned fair ground atmosphere perfectly. Seems like All Shook Up reused parts of it for its own Act 2...though I don't...know...why.

apdarcey
#18re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/8/05 at 2:35am

sunset boulevard. fabulous.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#19re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/8/05 at 2:43am

Cats
The King and I revival
Rent
Dance of the Vampires
Brooklyn (just kidding)
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? revival
Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune revival
Twelve Angry Men
Assassins
Sunset Boulevard
Bombay Dreams (say what you want about the show, but the sets
were amazing to look at...thought I don't know
how functional they were...)
Sixteen Wounded
Doubt (so eerie)
Into the Woods OBC
Sweeney Todd OBC
Sunday in the Park with George
The Retreat from Moscow
The Chairs revival
The Graduate

edit: how could I forget LA BOHEME?!

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
Updated On: 4/8/05 at 02:43 AM

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#20re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/8/05 at 2:58am

There can't be THAT many " bests ", Munk! Anyway, my favorites are Phantom, and my personal all time favorite, the Little Shop Revival.

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

apdarcey
#21re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/8/05 at 2:59am

oh, and little women has the best set currently on broadway i do believe. it is extraordinary, perhaps 'astonishing' some might say...

i just had to!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#22re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/8/05 at 3:03am

Well, when I say best I should have said favorites. I really love realistic sets - sets that mirror everyday life to a T - sort of like THE GOAT, FRANKIE AND JOHNNY, VIRGINIA WOOLF, etc.

I do think the LITTLE WOMEN set is rather nice, but the best on Broadway? I think that title belongs to VIRGINIA WOOLF, as far as "realistic."

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

apdarcey
#23re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/8/05 at 4:04am

oh yes, i did forget virginia. on golden pond's set was very nice though i feel it could have been a bit more.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#24re: Best Sets
Posted: 4/8/05 at 4:08am

Didn't Sunset Boulevard have an entire separate set that was up in the fly system, or something like that? Something totally unnecessary and flashy? Haha.

Tom Sawyer actually had an amazing design.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

Videos