pixeltracker

Which "Ragtime" Recording do you own?

Which "Ragtime" Recording do you own?

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#0Which "Ragtime" Recording do you own?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 5:06pm

I own both recordings and I like bits from both. Which Cd do you own and if you own both with one do you like more.

Facebook...ME !!!

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#1re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 5:58pm

There's more than 1?????? I guess I just have the OBC. BTW, my community theater is putting on Ragtime, and I may audition if it doesn't conflict with my current show, Jesus Christ Superstar......

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#2re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 6:02pm

I'm assuming you mean both the OBC and the concept album with the cut song? ("The Showbiz")... I own both and like both for different reasons. Actually, it's fun to compare and see just how much changed- I used to have both versions of "He Wanted to Say" memorized.

I know the song was just slowing things down in Act II, but I really wish "The Showbiz" had been left in. Tis a good song, IMO. re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#3re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 6:07pm

I own both and I like different things about each. I like "Make them Hear You" better on the concept album.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 6:19pm

I've always wanted to hear "The Showbiz" but not enough to actually buy the damn thing. I'm in RAGTIME right now so the OBC is very helpful in its completeness even though "Harry Houdini, Master Escapist" is missing from our scripts... I hope the authors cut it and not our director... it's weird because the script jumps from the "entr'acte", song number 21 to "Coalhouse's Soliloquy" number 23. so it really does just skip 22 which used to be "Harry Houdini, Master Escapist". they should fix that...

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#5re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 6:26pm

Who are you in Ragtime??????

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 6:38pm

Willie Conklin and other various characters in the ensemble... no big deal...

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#7re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 8:24pm

Maybe it's just my poor ear, but listening to the clips off Amazon.com, I find very little difference between the OBC (which I own) and the concept album. The two versions of "Make Them Hear You" are practically the same. Are the differences substantial (besides the length of the OBC, of course)?

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 5/30/05 at 08:24 PM

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#8re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 8:37pm

Heh...the concept album (the one with "the Showbiz" on it), has someone I know, Nick Rose, as the Little Boy on it...hah. He was telling me that Audrey McDonlad got him a slingshot for his birthday. Sorry for the randomness...I just thought that was entertaining.

Akiva

mirandajrs Profile Photo
mirandajrs
#9re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 9:02pm

I love them both. I wish they would have made a recording of the London cast with Maria Friedman though.

Edith 'Little Edie' Bouvier Beale: Do you think my costume looked all right for Brooks? I think he was a little amazed.

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#10re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 9:26pm

I have two recordings:
The two-disc obc
and the "songs from"- is this the concept album?

I love them both, I auditioned for this show awhile back, but it was cancelled.

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#11re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 2:14am

I have the OBC, but I listened to it about ten times and saw the show and stopped listening to it. That was also the day I realized I didn't really like the show. re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?

FWIW, here's more info on the multiple CDs. I'm surprised no one's linked this yet.
http://ahrensandflaherty.com/ragtime.html

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#12re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 2:44am

The first Cd (Songs from RAGTIME - The Musical) was actually the original Toronto cast, recorded and released just prior to the show's premiere here in December 1996. (the press materials that came with the CD state that the full show would be recorded with teh Broadway cast when the show opened in New York.)

Two of the tracks ("Your Daddy's Son" and "New Music") from the first CD were re-used on Rca's complete recording. Otherwise the 2nd album was newly recorded. (I especially like John Mauceri's Symphonic Suite.)

I love this score. For me it is the best score of the past 10 years. So, naturally I prefer the complete recording.

One curisoity: it was said at the time that the Songs from... Cd would be withdrawn once the complete recording was issued. That seems to be the case here in Canada, but in the U.S. are both versions still in print?

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

#13re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 4:52am

From what I've heard, the recording that's being made from the National ITS Convention show is going to be awesome.

I'll be getting my hands on that one.

ess2484 Profile Photo
ess2484
#14re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 8:14am

you mean they're making another recording of Ragtime???!!!

#15re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 8:53am

WOW~! I want a copy of the new recording@!

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#16re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 6/2/05 at 1:16am

Two of the tracks ("Your Daddy's Son" and "New Music") from the first CD were re-used on Rca's complete recording.

Ah, it all makes sense now. I was listening to "both" versions of "Your Daddy's Son" and couldn't for the life of me tell the difference, and it was frustrating me.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#17re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 6/2/05 at 7:18am

did someone actually say "Audrey McDonlad"???

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#18re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 6/2/05 at 8:36am

"Two of the tracks ("Your Daddy's Son" and "New Music") from the first CD were re-used on Rca's complete recording. Otherwise the 2nd album was newly recorded."

Actually, they were not re-used. If you notice in "New Music", the first verse is sung differently by the people singing it - Mother, Father, and Younger Brother, all sing at different times than they do on the full recording. (Besides the fact that the "ensemble" was a different cast than on the full recording - since those people are not credited on the complete recording, it is highly impossible that it was "re-used")
And there is a slight difference in the way "Your Daddy's Son" is sung...slight, but hardly noticable.

Let's not forget that there is a Symphonic Ragtime album - which means that technically, there are three recordings.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

romanov
#19re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 6/2/05 at 10:16am

I love the Nesbit/Houdini show biz number which is only on the concept album.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#20re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 6/2/05 at 10:36am

I love "The Showbiz". For some reason I prefer the studio disc. I think Mazzie's "Back to Before" is more affecting on the first recording.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#21re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 6/2/05 at 12:05pm

Congrats on playing Willy Conklin, CATS! Good part.

I never cared for "The Showbiz." It's a cute song to listen to, but dramatically, I don't think it makes in the context of the show. I have both recordings, and would pay GOOD money for a London cast recording, if ever there was one.

broadwayalto01 Profile Photo
broadwayalto01
#22re: Which 'Ragtime' Recording do you own?
Posted: 6/2/05 at 12:49pm

I have the OBC recording.. fun times.. the nice 2 disc version..

Life is like a patio door, you never know which side is open... and then you run into the glass.... ~Connie and Carla

Videos