pixeltracker

What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?

What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?

HamletWasBipolar Profile Photo
HamletWasBipolar
#0What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/30/05 at 10:47pm

There are a few that come to mind for me...Laurie Beechman ( original Narrator in Joseph), Steve Barton ( original Raoul in Phantom), David Carroll ( Anatoly in Chess, too ill to play In Grand Hotel), and Jason Raize ( The Lion KIng). David Carroll had a voice that sent chills, I would have loved to have heard him do more!

" I wish that the stage were as narrow as a tightrope wire, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." -- Goethe (he wants you to go to my Myspace page www.myspace.com/jasonklemm

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#1re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/30/05 at 10:53pm

One of the first deaths I can really remember being sad about was Lucille Ball. There have been more since then I suppose but that is the one that stands out to me. Yeah yeah, I know, not exactly Broadway star... sue me.

nomdeplume
#2re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/30/05 at 10:56pm

Tommy Hollis, jolly, friendly man, brilliant actor. Heart attack either on or the day after 9/11/2001.

I like to think that he saw the need and went to entertain our firefighters and our other lost souls...

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#3re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/30/05 at 10:59pm

Jason Raize
Jerry Orbach (even though we knew he was sick)

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

TheatreManiac Profile Photo
TheatreManiac
#4re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/30/05 at 11:01pm

Jason Raize.

Ironically, his Playbill bio once read, "You will find rest from vain fancies if you perform every act in life as though it were your last."

Absolutely a sad surprise.

"Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker" -- Willy Wonka

Dollypop
#5re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/30/05 at 11:01pm

I was sadly shaken by the death of director/choreographer Gower Champion. As you know, he died the very day that the original production of 42nd STREET opened and producer David merrick announced his passing at the curtain call.

I recall a numbness in me and I didn't want to leave the house or see anyone for several days. Of course, you realize that Champion directed and choreographed my favorite show.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#6re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/30/05 at 11:03pm

Jerry Orbach. I think my away message that day was "RIP the coolest guy in the world."

boytobroadway
#7re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/30/05 at 11:10pm

I remember when I heard Jerry died. I was at my aunts house spending the night. She doesn't have cable so I was watching the news. I heard something about the death of Jerry Orbach. I was like stuck dumb. I froze and just stared at the TV unable to think or talk. Tht was a sad night for me. And a sad day of school after that. Everyone knew I loved Broadway, and they were like, "Oh, he was on Broadway, well that is to bad." Poeple were nice at that school. I HAT BEING A FRESHMAN IN HIGHSCHOOL !

hating life,
B2B

C is for Company
#8re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/30/05 at 11:21pm

I never was personally affected by the death of an influential actor on broadway, but I do get concerned for them, like when Angela had that fall few months ago and just owrry about the older beloved vets like Orbach was

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#9re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/30/05 at 11:31pm

Definitely Jerry Orbach. When I saw the news I cried. I still get a little choked up when I listen to cast recordings he is on.

Also not a performer but I thought it was sad when Arthur Miller died. Our State Thespians did a big tribute performance for him.

Be the change you want in the world....

dotmarie Profile Photo
dotmarie
#10re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/30/05 at 11:33pm

More Hollywood than Broadway, but John Ritter. TOTALLY unexpected... he was so young. Such a loss. =(

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#11re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/30/05 at 11:41pm

John Ritter's death was definitely a shock. For some reason it's Jerry O's death that hurts the most. I still can't completely accept it. I got a chance to meet him when he came to DC to speak at the Smithsonian. I asked only one question - when are you coming back to Broadway? At that time he said he didn't believe in ever leaving a show so he was going to stay with L&O until it was cancelled. I told him I didn't believe him because if it were true, then he'd still be singing Try To Remember in The Fantasticks. (It was - obviously - still playing then.)

Every once in a while I still wonder "When will Jerry be back?"

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

life_so_far Profile Photo
life_so_far
#12re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/30/05 at 11:47pm

I remember three deaths that I was absolutely in denial about for awhile, two of them mentioned so far.

Jerry Orbach

John Ritter

Gregory Hines (really dont know if he was sick or anything, but I wasn't expecting his death... so therefore it was a surprise to me.)

Mujhse Dosti Karoge?

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#13re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/30/05 at 11:57pm

I think Gregory Hines had cancer but I don't think that was made public until his death was announced. I might be wrong though.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#14re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/31/05 at 12:47am

I was very sad for a few days when I heard of Jason Raize's death. My Lion King OBC has never sounded quite the same.

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#15re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/31/05 at 7:46am

The wonderful Luba Lisa who kissed me on the cheek at the stage door as a kid. The fact that she died in a small craft plane crash on her honeymoon even made it sadder for me.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#16re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/31/05 at 7:59am

Dorothy Loudon
Jerry Orbach
Gregory Hines
Rusty Magee (not really a Broadway performer, but a famous musician and married to a Broadway performer)

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#17re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/31/05 at 9:33am

raul julia. he told everyone he was on a macrobiotic diet, that's why he was losing weight. he was a doll. i didn't know gregory hines was ill--there was not a nicer man in show business. jerry o.-i actually dated his son chris for a time and knew him and was completely in awe of him but he never put up with that -- i mean, he never paid attention to that. he was a gem. i loved seeing him on the broadway lost treasures show doing the "she loves basketball" number from PROMISES PROMISES. that was him.

Mind is Mantra.

KristinChenowethFan
#18re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/31/05 at 9:33am

Steve Barton and the set designer from Phantom...sad sad.

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#19re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/31/05 at 9:35am

cy coleman -- had just seen him.
wally harper -- lived across the street from me. he hadn't looked well in a while but i didn't expect him to die. that was a shock.

Mind is Mantra.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#20re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/31/05 at 9:47am

Arthur Miller
Al Hirshfeld
Fred Ebb
Jerry Orbach
Gregory Hines
Jason Raize
John Ritter

Since when is death NOT a surprise? Even if someone is sick.

Miller and Orbach hit me hard.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

BrdwayObsessed
#21re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/31/05 at 9:57am

Jerry Orbach's death, even though his illness had been known, was a surprise.

I was more astonished at the lack of acknowledgement for him and his contribution to Broadway at the Tony Awards.

twogaab2
#22re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/31/05 at 9:58am

David Burns and Leonard Warren both died on stage during a perfomance. (If you gotta go-and we all do-I can't imagine a better way)

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#23re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/31/05 at 10:12am

BrdwayObsessed, I agree with you. I was very upset to see that he was pretty much left out at the Tony Awards.
Jerry was the first person to come to mind when I saw this thread topic. What an amazingly talented and wonderfully nice person he was. It was the only time that a celebrity's death made me cry. I'm so glad that his memory and all of his accomplishments can be remembered by listening to his cast recordings, seeing his movies, and who could forget the numerous times Law and Order is played on USA/TBS. I thank my lucky stars that I got to meet him in 2002. I truly love him.

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#24re: What Broadway performers deaths have surprised/saddened?
Posted: 8/31/05 at 10:13am

Although she was more well known in the West End, Stephanie Lawrence. I was lucky enough to see her here in 'Blood Brothers' and she was exceedingly nice to me at the stage door.

I also second Laurie Beechman and Jason Raize as well...

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland

Videos