News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT

MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT

My Name in Lights
#0MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:08am

Too often lately, I find myself telling people I know and those on the boards, that they shouldn't rely on professional critics to dictate which shows they see or don't see. People need to decide for themselves by using all of the information out there, but as a guideline only. I always try to get different sources of information, plus casting, etc.; but in the end, it is my own gut feeling and cost that determines what I see. (Of course, always try for the discount MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT, in case of a bad choice.)

Even doing those things, I have been majorly disappointed at a few shows which critics loved...two which come to mind are PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (Bdwy) and HAIRSPRAY (Bdwy). I even gave HAIRSPRAY a second turn and I still didn't like it, and can't understand what all of the praise/fuss is about it. PHANTOM was too much torture the first time, I couldn't think about giving it another chance. Similar experiences???

BSoBW2
smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#2re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:12am

^times a thousand

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#3re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:13am

Just wondering, are either of you Monty Python fans?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#4re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:17am

I am a huge Python fan.

Why do you ask?

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.
Updated On: 10/12/05 at 02:17 AM

My Name in Lights
#5re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:17am

Yes. Even though I love Tim Curry and he was good in it, SPAMALOT was disappointing. I forgot about that one.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:20am

The Producers
Spamalot

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

PJ
#7re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:21am

The Producers and Spelling Bee.

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#8re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:30am

the Producers and Spamalot...I still retain the latter shouldn't even be called theater. Yes it is enjoyable...it's an enjoayble sketch comedy performance, and has no value beyond that.

Chrysanthemum62001
#9re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:34am

The Producers, Hairspray, and The Lion King

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#10re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:50am

THE PRODUCERS

...My Name In Lights: If you would have done your homework, you would have read that Phantom didn't entirely recieve the "starlet" reviews that you probably think it did. Phantom of the Opera does, and always has, relied on word-of-mouth. The reviews weren't bad at all, but crystal clear reviews were not given by the critics.

...As for the Producers, oh my goodness, can we say a TAD overrated. The show was okay, but did it deserve everything it received, I'm not so sure I think so. I am not personally the kind of person who likes to rely on critics to make decisions for me. I think it's fun to read one persons opinion occasionally, even though they are usually consist of a lot of drivel. I always say it is better to make up your own mind. A review is just the view of the one person who happened to see a show on one particular night, lol. If you're not sure whether or not you want to see a show because a critic said something nasty, test the waters and see for yourself!

Bye!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

My Name in Lights
#11re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 3:06am

Actually, I was quite young when PHANTOM opened and didn't see it until it had been running quite awhile. But, when I refer to shows that critics hail, it doesn't have to be a unanimous vote from them, just something they like than happens to disappoint me as an audience member. Hence, I don't ever rely on their opinions alone. It bothers me that so many people are influenced by their opinions and then adopt them as their own...which often becomes the "word of mouth" to which you refer. Advance sales also account for the perpetuation of a show's run. People who are easily influenced by critics and word of mouth jump on the bandwagon to buy tickets just so they can say they saw "the" show.

As far as the term "starlet" is concerned, I've never heard of it; although I have heard of "sterling" reviews.

glenwj Profile Photo
glenwj
#12re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 3:37am

Phantom is definately overrated.

Drought Down Under.

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#13re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 4:35am

The Producers. I felt that it was only Nathan Lane that elevated the show - sure there were funny moments, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the critics and awards had led me to believe it would be.

Miss Saigon - the first time I saw it I was very tired and had extremely bad seats (right at the back of the Gods in Drury Lane). I did appreciate its merits much more when I saw it from a slightly different angle re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#14re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 6:06am

Copenhagen
Stones In My Pocket

Poster Emeritus

cserannie
#15re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 7:15am

The boy from Oz
Spamalot

Norbert Leo Butz quotes about John Lithgow: "He's really clumsy. One of the joys in life is to watch a great big huge man totally wipe out backstage. It takes John about three minutes to hit the floor. It's like watching a Great Sequoia falling gracelessly."

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#16re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 7:28am

Rent
Jekyl and Hyde

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#17re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 7:39am

Hey, look! It's another Spamalot-bashing thread. I figured we'd gone our requisit 10 minutes without one... *rolls eyes*

Seriously, though... if you disliked Spamalot, at least give a reason, please? Like those who were disappointed in Phantom or The Producers have?

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#18re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 8:16am

Jekyll & Hyde and The Boy from Oz do not qualify as shows that were "hailed by critics as great." Both opened to largely terrible reviews (though Boy from Oz did receive praise for Hugh Jackman's performance).

I also recall Phantom of the Opera receiving a somewhat chilly reception. At least Frank Rich's review had major reservations, even if he admired the production for its spectacle.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

SkierRob02 Profile Photo
SkierRob02
#19re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 8:16am

Phantom
Wicked

"Theater is not only the meeting place of all the arts, but the return of art to life." -- Oscar Wilde

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#20re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 8:20am

Wicked also received almost all mixed to negative reviews.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#21re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 8:26am

Rent.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

kelzama
#22re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 8:36am

Rent. Carousel. Five Guys Named Moe. Tallulah.

safety_in_falsehood
#23re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 8:39am

Spamalot, it just wasn't funny and the jokes seem so...blah. I love all three of the leads, so I was truly expecting great things.

The Producers...maybe it was just Matthew Broderik that I didn't like.

Aida, I only like 4 songs in the whole thing. I expected a little more from Elton.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#24re: MOST DISAPPOINTING SHOW(S) THAT WAS HAILED BY THE CRITICS AS GREAT
Posted: 10/12/05 at 8:43am

Aida and Five Guys Named Moe both got creamed by the critics.

But the inclusion here of Carousel has left me speechless.

Videos