pixeltracker

Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage

Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage

jo
#0Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 2:34am

Here's an account of Maria Friedman's return onstage to THE WOMAN IN WHITE by New York Times' Jesse Mckinley --

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/3455963

What a brave lady - a real trouper!

WholeLottaShakin Profile Photo
WholeLottaShakin
#1re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 2:48am

What an incredible lady. I saw the last preview before her surgery and was stunned to hear she would return to the show so quickly. All the best to her and her good health.

Thanks for posting that.

sharon1
#2re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 5:10am

Thanks Jo
What a wonderful woman. She is a real "leading lady" of theatre.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#3re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 5:51am

She is back ALREADY ???? My God, what a real trouper. Mrs Friedman, I bow before your courage and commitment ! BRAVO !

pattifan2
#4re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 6:25am

Bravo, Maria.

...fragment of the day...

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#5re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 8:29am

I liked her very much when i saw the show in London. Now I worship and adore her.

---

"I found the lump on a Monday, and two hours later I had a mammogram," Friedman said. "And three days later, I was in surgery."

And a week after that, with an $8.5 million musical just days away from its opening night, Friedman — bruised, bandaged and with a doctor waiting in the wings — sang and danced for nearly three hours, nearly bringing much of her cast and crew to tears.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#6re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 8:58am

I'd just like to wish her a safe, healthy recovery! Love you Maria!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

EganFan2
#7re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 9:30am

Wow, she can still sing, move around and wear Victorian dresses being all bruised and sore like that? Shows stamina. I'm glad she's back.

Lori
#8re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 10:03am

Aside from being an amazing actress she's a truly lovely and gracious woman.

Wishing you all the best Maria...you deserve it!

"Take Care! When I am thwarted I am very terrible!"

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#9re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 11:53am

I was there on Thursday night, and if you did not know about it, you never would have guessed. She gave an incredible performance.

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland

CaroleeFan Profile Photo
CaroleeFan
#10re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 11:57am

What a trooper. She has a lot to show some of these other ladies who keep missing shows from "colds".

"They hear drums, we hear music."- Passion.

Forester Profile Photo
Forester
#11re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 12:09pm

Much respect

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#12re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 12:11pm

She's an amazing person. It's great to have her back!

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#13re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 12:13pm

YAY!

kec Profile Photo
kec
#14re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 12:15pm

Here's a link to the article as it appears in the NY Times, with a photo of Maria as Marian.

Bless her for her courage and determination.
Musical Really Does Go On As Star Is Treated for Cancer

helloitsGabby Profile Photo
helloitsGabby
#15re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 12:17pm

saw her last night- it was incredible... her courage and spirit were really inspirational. A fantastic, worthy performance.. I wish her nothing but the best in this show

formerly luvwicked416 since last year- and then I grew up... (a little)

YAY JUDY, YAY JUDY...

http://lisabrescia.tripod.com/

and chances are AndyF is posting above or below me

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#16re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 12:23pm

Maria has the "old school" work ethics of a seasoned trooper from a bygone era. We just don't see it that much anymore here in the U.S.

Welcome to Broadway! The divas strutting around on the Boards right now should all take note.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 11/12/05 at 12:23 PM

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#17re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 12:39pm

Wow. I've only ever seen Maria from a few videos ("Hey Mr. Producer" and the like) and have always enjoyed her but, having failed to see her live, I've formed no real opinion about her or her abilities.
A friend of mine understudied her in Ragtime, absolutely adored her, and now, reading this, my respect for this woman has skyrocketed. Regardless of what you think of someone's abilities onstage, this is a person to whom you can look for guidance. She is a true mentor to aspiring performers everywhere, as she should be. Kudos to her! I am now super thrilled to see this show.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#18re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 1:22pm

i love her!!! she is so good in the "joseph" movie...can't wait to see her on broadway.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Fosse76
#19re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 10:52pm

I didn't like whispery voice in the Joseph film. That said, I don't think her return so soon is brave or courageous. I think it's wonderful that she is well enough to return, but it's not like she's sky-diving or anything. I do look forward to seeing her in this show, her understudy was quite good though, so I have no real complaints.

jo
#20re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 11:01pm

Have you ever had a lumpectomy? ( I personally have shared the experience.)

And then have to go back to work soon after?

I think it was brave as there was always the risk of a medical complication if you exert yourself so soon. Why does a doctor have to be on standby if she was well enough to go back to work?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#21re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 11:45pm

"it's not like she's sky-diving or anything."

WTF? She just found out she had a tumor and needed surgery to have it removed. I think most would agree with me that thats a bit harder to overcome and more challenging and frightening than skydiving.

YayJudyYayJudy Profile Photo
YayJudyYayJudy
#22re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 11:49pm

are you seriously comparing breast-cancer and skydiving? What's going on right now....

If anyone can even think about doing anything but commending her efforts, then that's just wrong. Her performance that I saw last night was nothing short of inspirational... I can't even imagine how much stamina the woman must have, it was a an honor to watch her...

proudly changing my name frequently since 2004

chances are AndyF is posting above or below me...

"THIS is how you dress for the Tony's, get it!? Ok, see you at the after-party..." [YAHM]
Updated On: 11/12/05 at 11:49 PM

Misty
#23re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 11:52pm

I applaud Maria's courage and integrity in returning to the stage so soon after her ordeal - a very gutsy lady indeed.

Fosse 76 -I found your comments to be extremely insensitive and an insult to all the BRAVE women who have faced Breast Cancer and won.

My best wishes to Maria and her family.

Tigger Profile Photo
Tigger
#24re: Maria Friedman's Brave Return Onstage
Posted: 11/12/05 at 11:57pm

That said, I don't think her return so soon is brave or courageous. I think it's wonderful that she is well enough to return, but it's not like she's sky-diving or anything. I do look forward to seeing her in this show, her understudy was quite good though, so I have no real complaints...

Why is it that there is always some hole that in their trogladyte-like insensitivity and moronic utterances would make Mother Theresa sound like the Whore of Babylon given half the chance? Sheesh!!!

"Extraordinary how potent cheap music is..." Noel Coward-Private Lives

Videos