Scariest Moment in a Musical

Emcee4ever
#0Scariest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:12pm

For me it would be the ending of Cabaret, especially the revival. For those of you who haven't seen it, here's a brief summary.

Cliff has just left on a train to Paris, escaping the Nazis. Then the Emcee came on, still imploring us to forget everything bad.

"In here, life... is beautiful," he said, painfully whispering the 'beautiful.'

"The girls...are beautiful. Even the orchestra is beautiful."

And he gestured; the lights focused on where the band should have been. But there wasn't any. Yet the music continued, the wall in front of the set fell away.

The set disappeared; the cast stood, shadowy and dim.
And then there was light. Not ordinay light, but a stark white light, one so pure yet so alone that you couldn't tell if it was a heaven or another place that you were seeing.

The increasingly discordant music built to a terrifying roar; the only sounds were an ominous rumbling that seemed to crawl inside you and a violin shrieking.

The violin stopped. Al you could see was shadows and white light. All you could hear was the rumbling.

Then there was silence.

"Auf weidersehen," the Emcee said.

"A bientot....."

Then, slowly, he took off his coat. He was wearing the clothes of a prisoner, a concentration camp prisoner.

The drumroll sounded. The cymbals clashed. And then there was darkness.

So, after that lengthy essay, what's the scariest moment for you?
Updated On: 11/28/05 at 08:12 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:25pm

DAMN. THAT wasn't in the movie, which after seeing for the first time two months ago left me confused and not liking it.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

rose&lark
#2re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:25pm

I'd have to agree, Emcee4ever, that THAT is a very scary, creepy moment.

I'd have to add, the chandelier falling in Phantom, especially for first time viewers who are young. I first saw the Phantom tour in 5th grade, and was terrified when the chandelier fell. That, and I was really, really scared of the Phantom in general. The creepy music, his actions during the musical, gave me the willies! re: Scairest Moment in a Musical

Q: What is the most weirdest or funniest thing a fan has asked you? Joe Flanigan, Stargate Atlantis: When a fan asked me for help with his grammar. I'm available.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#3re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:29pm

The beginning of Chicago always creeps me out. For some reason I feel Bob Fosse's presence and expect him to pop up in front of me.
The scene just before the "Bye Bye Life" scene of All That Jazz (when Joe Gideon leaves his hospital bed) is also pretty damned scary.

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#4re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:29pm

When the Reflection Bride falls through the mirror in the Phantom of the Opera. It gets me everytime.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#5re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:30pm

I was terrified the moment Phantom started as well, but for entirely different reasons. re: Scairest Moment in a Musical

Fosse76
#6re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:32pm

"I'd have to add, the chandelier falling in Phantom, especially for first time viewers who are young. I first saw the Phantom tour in 5th grade, and was terrified when the chandelier fell. That, and I was really, really scared of the Phantom in general. The creepy music, his actions during the musical, gave me the willies!"

At the speed the chandelier falls, the entire theatre could be evacuated to Jersey before it hits the floor!

theaterFrEaK07 Profile Photo
theaterFrEaK07
#7re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:35pm

Im really honestly frightend by gunshots so the whole barracade scene in Les Mis made me want to cry, for multiply reasons.

phantom scared me after masquerade and the phantom disappears in the firework, but that show is just a great creepy drama!

Yes, I know my profile name is spelled incorrectly. That's what happens when you don't spell check and just push done. I wear it as a reminder to spell check.
Updated On: 11/28/05 at 08:35 PM

C is for Company
#8re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:36pm

lmao fosse76

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#9re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:37pm

David Hasselhoff in JEKYLL AND HYDE. Gave me nightmares for weeks.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#10re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:40pm

lol spider

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#11re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:44pm

Les mis...just cause I HATE gun/bomb sounds.

The face of the phantom got to me when I was younger too.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#12re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:46pm

The whistle in Sweeney Todd.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

elphatine
#13re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:48pm

I agree with the chandelier, bride and gunshots... can't say I've seen Cabaret on stage (I was only, like, 9 when the revival was out), but that sounds creepy and amazing. I'd have to say the train in WiW scared me pretty bad... it seemed like it was headed straight for my face, haha.

mygfdontliveincanada Profile Photo
mygfdontliveincanada
#14re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:49pm

If anyone saw Robert Wilson's musical of "Woyzeck" tour the county, that show was creepy from beginning to end.

Just buy the concept album titled "Blood Money." It'll give you a good idea what the whole show was like.

willact4food Profile Photo
willact4food
#15re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 8:52pm

the end of miss saigon. creepy and sad.

sadiem100 Profile Photo
sadiem100
#16re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 9:19pm

"The whistle in Sweeney Todd."

That was creepy and hurt my ears re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
However the ending of Sweeney Todd is very creepy when Toby goes all insane.

"Electricity sparks inside of me... and I'm free, I'm free."

dididda Profile Photo
dididda
#17re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 9:29pm

why is the end of saigon creepy?

the end of sweeney is scary to me too.

depending on how its done nancy's death in oliver can scare me.

havent seen it yet, but form the recording i could see anne in Woman in White be scary.

""the gays love their presents. just wave something shiny in front of their faces, you can get whatever you want. Thats how we got manhattan from the gay indians" -Karen (W&G)"

EganFan2
#18re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 9:34pm

Wow, the ending of Cabaret definitely sounds scary and jolting.

TheGirlontheSwing Profile Photo
TheGirlontheSwing
#19re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 9:35pm

I have to say that the childcatcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is absoulty frightening! The way he shreaks..." chiiilldreen"
very scary!

new_philosophy_girl Profile Photo
new_philosophy_girl
#20re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 9:38pm

In My Life.

The whole show = scary.

Sponsor me as I walk the Philadelphia AIDS Walk - Sunday, October 16, 2011. Many of our friends, family and neighbors are in desperate need of health care services and other life-saving programs, but with cutbacks in government dollars , these programs are often under-funded. Now, more than ever, your donations are needed to support organizations providing HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention education, counseling and testing and care services for people living with HIV/AIDS. http://www.aidswalkphilly.org/users/index.php/profile/detail/186643

Alex LaVelle
#21re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 9:42pm

This one is more startling than frightening, but at the end of Ragtime when Colehouse is shot

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#22re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 9:50pm

I'm going to have to agree with Emcee4ever. I didn't see the revival, but we did that in school my freshman year, and the ending was creepy even then.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#23re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:39pm

I second the RAGTIME. I was expecting something to happen when he left the building, and in the back of my mind I knew it was going to happen, but somehow the way it happens (or at least was staged) startled me.

The opening scene of BAT BOY is scary.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

WickedlyPerfect Profile Photo
WickedlyPerfect
#24re: Scairest Moment in a Musical
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:55pm

The Phantom of the opera, when, in the beginning, the cover is taken off the chandilier and there is a loud bang and the organ starts to play loudly...
I was in the 4th grade, and It took me up until the time the movie came out to fully get over the fear that was the Phantom of the Opera. Not to mention when he first appears to Christine in the mirror, couldn't look into my mirror at night for years

What good is a life, With no one to share, The light of the moon, The honor of a swear?

Videos