Musical in Concert?

JamieMcG Profile Photo
JamieMcG
#0Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 11:14am

Hey there

I just wanted a chance to thank everyone who turned out for The Secret Garden Concert on Monday. It was a huge honor, once again to work with such a brilliant group of artists. On top of that, we were able to raise a very respectable amount of money for the Joey DiPaolo AIDS Foundation. So thank you again for all your support this year!

And now...I need your help in trying to choose a musical for next year...Please make some recommendation keeping these things in mind:

-Something that hasn't been done on Broadway or by Encores in the past 10 years.

-Something that a big choir would enhance.

-Something with a positive message.

-Something YOU would like to come see.

It's a challenge I know...let me see what you come up with!

Thanks again!

Love, jamie

"There is nothing scary about life, if you are not attached to the results." - Conversations With God

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#1re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 11:19am

Brigadoon. The story and score a terrific. The choral arrangements are among the best ever done for Broadway.

EDIT: (A vanity note... Ha!) Could you change it to McGonnigal Square? (okay, maybe not.)

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 12/9/05 at 11:19 AM

MissNY
#2re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 11:21am

Hmm, that is a challenge, I'll have to give it some thought. It's going to have to be truly amazing to top this year...

JamieMcG Profile Photo
JamieMcG
#3re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 12:16pm

Well the McGonnigal Square thing would be a given. Actually, Brigadoon is something that was under consideration this past year.

I also must admit that it would be fun to not be the only one in a kilt.

"There is nothing scary about life, if you are not attached to the results." - Conversations With God

musicalsaregreat
#4re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 12:29pm

How about My Favorite Year, it has such a great score.

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#5re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 12:44pm

How about The Wiz? It has great featured parts that would easily be filled by the great talent you get. Broadway has been teased with the talk of a revival, but nothing has come of it. I think it is a great score to be revisited!!!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#6re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 3:03pm

Back to Brigadoon... there was a very well-received semi-staged production of it by Reprise! this past year in L.A. with Marin Mazzie & Jason Danielly in the two leads, and Deborah Gibson as Meg. You can check out photos and reviews on their site.
Reprise! Link

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#7re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 3:30pm

Well I thought and I'm not positive if either one that comes to mind meets all the requirements, but I have reasons for thinking of them...

First, Finian's Rainbow--mainly b/c it's very rare to see that done on stage live and it would be a great oppertunity for that to be performed...i saw it in Westport, Conn. this year and loved it...but to be honest I'm not sure how important the choral parts are in the show.

Second, Carousel popped into mind just b/c I thought of something that choruses are good for and for some reason "You'll Never Walk Alone" popped into my head. It wasn't done since '94 right so that would be over 10 years...but then you may consider it a tad overdone and want to use the concert to allow audiences to see shows that are difficult to see, like FR.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

BSoBW2
#8re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 3:34pm

Carrie...Just kidding (sort of)

But I agree with THE WIZ.

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#9re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 10:16pm

Why not do Shenandoah? As far as I know it hasn't been done in a long time in NYC. There are some choir parts in it, even if they are mostly all-male. The message about the horrors of war are definitely relevent to the times we are in now. Wouldn't hearing the song "I've Heard it All Before" belted out in a concert setting give you chills? I think this show is overdue for some sort of production.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#10re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 10:18pm

A CHORUS LINE.
The Wiz.
Violet.
YES!!!!
Not that I can afford to go to your concerts anyway.
I would have killed for Pippin, but the cost was over the top.
Suggestion:
A Lottery. re: Musical in Concert? For the rest of us that can not afford a million bucks. Updated On: 12/9/05 at 10:18 PM

JACXR71 Profile Photo
JACXR71
#11re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/9/05 at 10:23pm

I like Brigadoon and The Wiz as well.

Just a thought, but what about The Robber Bridegroom? Don't think it's been done by anyone for a while, and it seems to meet all the criteria. I think some of today's performers would be great in those roles, too.

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#12re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/10/05 at 11:39am

City of Angels

Barnum

Zorba

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#13re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/10/05 at 11:45am

Would Barnum work in a concert setting?

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#14re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/10/05 at 11:47am

My first thought is City of Angels as well.

James Barbour as Stone.

Also, Jamie, I want to thank you for bringing such a great cast and an awsome concert to us. Watching the Secret Garden live is such a magical experience.

apdarcey
#15re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/10/05 at 11:57am

i don't think city of angels is right for this setting. it's too solo-oriented.

i love the idea of the wiz, which would be wonderful.

i also don't know if it would be right for this setting, but i need a new production of sunday in the park with george...

JamieMcG Profile Photo
JamieMcG
#16re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 12:22am

Thank you very much Sanda. The cast and staff were incredible and they truly earned every kind word that's been said. It was an honor working with such a remarkable group.

Now on to your suggestions...

The Wiz is something we've thought of as is Brigadoon. I adore Barnum and City of Angels, but they are both so very dependent on setting that a concert may be difficult. There's so little time for things like set, costumes and lighting that keeping things as basic as possible is as much as we can do. I've been extremely blessed to work with such amazing designers but they're out straight trying to keep things simple...imagine if I threw them a circus to put onstage!

arykahmarye
#17re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 12:35am

How about Candide? I see it as a piece that would work well in a concert setting.

"Umm...A1 is a steak sauce."

JamieMcG Profile Photo
JamieMcG
#18re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 12:50am

I agree, it would be a beautiful concert but the broadway revival was a little too recent to warrant a concert at this point. Not to mention that cast was just so brilliant, no need to hear others on those roles this soon.

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#19re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 1:17am

Hm. This is hard! I'd love to see a Brigadoon, I love that show. When was the last time they did a Godspell or Tommy? I suppose they just did Hair, which is in that vein. When was the last time they did a Night Music? The Wiz is a fun idea but aren't they trying to revive that?

Oooh.. Oliver? The Black Crook? :P Showboat, Porgy and Bess... I think I'm really mining it now.

yr ronin,
joey

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#20re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 1:39am

Did they ever do Meredith Willson's "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" yet?

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

showinoff Profile Photo
showinoff
#21re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 1:45pm

What about PARADE? What a great score, and def backed with a great chorus.

<< Gavin Creel and Kate Baldwin making vocal love... I adore these two.

carnimiriel Profile Photo
carnimiriel
#22re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 3:35pm

My first thought was City of Angels. Sunday in the Park with George or Parade would be nice too.

bdwybug55
#23re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 5:52pm

That's a shame about "Barnum". I adore that musical and really hope that they revive it soon. I do agree that it is not very condusive to a concert setting. I think "Two By Two" is a fun musical with a great uplifting ending although it is so small it really doesn't fit your other criteria. Boy...this is tough. "Annie" would be great but would you really want to deal with all the kids re: Musical in Concert? Sorry...I'm drawing a blank...I will think more.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#24re: Musical in Concert?
Posted: 12/13/05 at 6:49pm

Ah, Parade,I wish I think it first. Yes, that score is absolutely wonderful. And the scene could be very simple.

The only problem is that it is a very sad show. Jamie wants a show with a positive message.

Videos