News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

wicked tour in philly

new_philosophy_girl Profile Photo
new_philosophy_girl
#0wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 12:09am

Just got back from the show. I finally won a Wicked lotto!!! Haha. Anyway. I guess the big news would be that the bubble didn't work and Glinda was stuck up there and the beginning of the show was delayed like 30 minutes. Julia Murney was amazing and I could definitely understand why so many people called her the only good part of Lennon. Her No Good Deed had the crowd going crazy. Kendra was just too perfectly perky and the entire cast was excellent. The only drawback I had was that I thought the sound system was terrible and it really took a lot out of the show. I think they tried to remedy it during the intermission, as it wasn't as bad in Act 2. I guess that's to be expected on the first night of the tour. If you're in the Philly area, I definitely suggest seeing this!!

Sponsor me as I walk the Philadelphia AIDS Walk - Sunday, October 16, 2011. Many of our friends, family and neighbors are in desperate need of health care services and other life-saving programs, but with cutbacks in government dollars , these programs are often under-funded. Now, more than ever, your donations are needed to support organizations providing HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention education, counseling and testing and care services for people living with HIV/AIDS. http://www.aidswalkphilly.org/users/index.php/profile/detail/186643

jawz1980
#1re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 6:01am

how many people signed up for the lotto?

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#2re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 7:31am

We're going on April 9th. Is the sound usually OK in there?

new_philosophy_girl
#3re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 7:54am

There was maybe 30-40 people at the lotto. Not bad at all compared to the one on Broadway lol. I seriously don't think the sound will be an issue. I think it was just a first night thing because like I said, it progressively got a little better as the show went on.

Sponsor me as I walk the Philadelphia AIDS Walk - Sunday, October 16, 2011. Many of our friends, family and neighbors are in desperate need of health care services and other life-saving programs, but with cutbacks in government dollars , these programs are often under-funded. Now, more than ever, your donations are needed to support organizations providing HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention education, counseling and testing and care services for people living with HIV/AIDS. http://www.aidswalkphilly.org/users/index.php/profile/detail/186643

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#4re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 8:08am

New_philosopy_girl,thanks for the report! How many lotto tickets were offered, and where were the seats (and how good were they)?

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#5re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 8:53am

Caught opening as well. As far as sound clarity, I thought the mics were fabulous. However, there was not a great blend between the orchestra and singers.

Solid tour overall, if missing that *spark of the Broadway production. Julia's acting was incredible.

new_philosophy_girl
#6re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 8:58am

There were 20 tickets available for lotto. Winners got seats in rows AA and BB, which are the second and third rows in the orchestra. Great seats!

Kev, perhaps that's what it was with the sound that was pissing me off. I just felt that at times you couldn't even hear anyone on stage! Oh well. And I am in total agreement about Julia's acting. She was an all-around amazing Elphaba!

Barihunk Profile Photo
Barihunk
#7re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 9:07am

Just a thought about the sound - if your seats were in the first two rows, you were basically sitting in front of the orchestra and not in range of the speakers. I'm sure those who were sitting further back had a different listening experience. Also, if you were sitting underneath any of the overhangs - that would affect sound quality as well. The Academy has notoriously difficult acoustics without amplification, and I'm sure getting balance right with amplification is just as difficult.

"When you're a gay man, you have to feel good about yourself when a urologist says, "Yeah. I pick you". - Happy Endings

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#8re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 9:56am

I hope they get the sound and other logistics right for press night tonight. Looking forward to it. Please keep trying the lottery ticket option, it's a good deal.

ps: Hi Kev...long time.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 10:23am

Here in Denver, the sound problem they had was that you could only understand what the leads were singing. The ensembles vocals and lyrics were lost.

Just give the world Love.

PottstownTeacher
#10re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 10:32am

If anybody wants a ticket for Saturday night (the 25th), I'll be more than happy to sell it to you! Let me know. Balcony Center.

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#11re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 4:15pm

Hi Pati :)

Enjoy the show tonight. If I manage to win lotto, I'll be there re: wicked tour in philly

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#12re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 8:32pm

So do you think lotto will get more crowded as time goes by?

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#13re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 8:45pm

I was there last night, too. I agree about the sound. However, I managed to catch the matinee today and the sound was so much better. The bubble was also up and running. Today's show was better than yesterday's. I think the tour is fantastic and the cast is completely perfect. Loved everything about it. And I am in love with Kendra.

There were a lot of technical errors today, actually, but nothing as noticable as the bubble. The shoe shelf and Elphaba's self didn't come on during Popular, therefore, Kendra didn't have a mirror. The biggest problem was the two cogs in the back that come together to form a wall were not working the whole time. When the Wizard pulled the lever to reveal the flying monkeys in Act I, the wall didn't move, so it was kind of awkward.
Updated On: 3/23/06 at 08:45 PM

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#14re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 9:02pm

Was lottery tough for the matinee today?

TheQuibbler
#15re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 9:33pm

Not really.

AnotherDay46 Profile Photo
AnotherDay46
#16re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 9:39pm

This is interesting... I have tickets for row BB...

jawz1980
#17re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/23/06 at 10:51pm

went tonite - julia murney was excellent. and morrible (alma cuervo) did a GREAT job--best I've seen. lottery had about 50 people for the evening show.

alli2
#18re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/24/06 at 12:09pm

I'm not sure if Potts has sold his ticket yet... but if anyone else has an extra moderately priced ticket for Saturday night, the 25th, I'd be interested in buying it! PM me, please!

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#19re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/24/06 at 3:47pm

Fortunately all the tech stuff was working right! If you get a chance to catch this tour while Julia and Kendra are both onboard...RUN to see it! They are both incredibly good. Great chemistry together. I enjoyed Kendra's version better overall than Kristin Chenoweth. She's fiesty not sugary. And Julia simply captures Elphaba's character both physically and vocally extremely well.

The lottery ticket thing seems to be very popular. But I was picking up that perhaps some of the same people just keep signing up to get the tickets each day.(At least the same kids keep showing up at the stage door as I was told) I would hope the theater would be fair about giving others a fair chance to win them.

Anyway, the show is in great shape. Hope to have the inteview and review up on BWW asap.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

TheQuibbler
#20re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/24/06 at 3:55pm

As much as I love Kristin Chenoweth, I have to agree with you about Kendra. She was fantastic.

Julia is just incredible. She acts the hell out of it. Every little move and nuance is perfect.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#21re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/24/06 at 4:13pm

I saw Kendra in Denver. I still like Chenoweth better. It still puzzles me that the show is playing the Academy of Music. Are there shows in the other two theatres? I am from Philly. I am trying to imagine Broadway show tours in the AOM. When I lived there it was always opera, symphony and concerts. That was a long time ago! Just an aside...I am dying to hear the symphony in their new home.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 3/24/06 at 04:13 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#22re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/24/06 at 4:16pm

Yay for Juliaaaa.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

TheQuibbler
#23re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/24/06 at 4:20pm

The Academy is a strange venue for a musical, but it works well enough if you're in the center. I have partial view tickets in the Family Circle for tomorrow, so, I'll report back on how the view was from there. I was lucky enough to win the lottery and the view from where I was sitting (second row, right) was very good.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#24re: wicked tour in philly
Posted: 3/24/06 at 4:27pm

I have house seats for tomorrow night and I am *so excited* to see Julia in this role!

Videos