pixeltracker

If you could bring one show back to Broadway...- Page 4

If you could bring one show back to Broadway...

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#75Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 9:27am

Sunset Boulevard, no doubt. With all of the opulent sets intact before they trimmed it down for the tour. I love Sunset Boulevard

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#76Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 9:46am

So many people mentioning Ragtime as if that was from the distant past. I feel so old....

It hit me 2 weeks ago when I saw a very good community theatre group do this show that it will be 10 years ago this coming December that RAGTIME premiered here in Toronto.

I think it was show whose Broadway run was curtailed before its time. That it lost the Tony for Best Musical (after winning Best Book AND Best Score) to a show nowhere near its equal (in terms of writing) just adds insult to injury.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

keatonbynumbers Profile Photo
keatonbynumbers
#77Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 10:15am

Yeah, for me, PARADE and RAGTIME aren't old. I'm not like, "Hey, does anyone remember Parade? I'm sorry, it might be a bit before your time." But these are two shows that closed much earlier than they should have. Why did PARADE flop? It's one of the most powerful shows to come out of the last decade and it didn't do nearly as well as it should have. Neither did RAGTIME, and it was robbed of the Best Musical award. And they're still in people's recent memories, enough to make the fact that they're not around now rather painful.

Sure, I love Dreamgirls and I like Chess and I'd love for these shows to be brought back, but PARADE is old enough that it seems like it could come back again, yet recent enough that the wounds are still fresh. God, I miss that show.

Runner1B
#78Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 10:19am

I know this is not a popular choice, by far, but I'd like to see "I Love My Wife" back on Broadway with a reworked book. The songs are wonderful!

RobbO Profile Photo
RobbO
#79Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 10:25am

urban cowboy

XING
PED

#80Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 10:36am

I would vote for SIDE SHOW even though it is a fairly recent show because it definitely closed before its time.

I would also include several classic Lerner & Loewe musicals, like CAMELOT and GIGI, which I've never seen on stage (unless you count high school productions). I know they aren't as popular as MY FAIR LADY, but they are still masterpieces.

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#81Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 10:39am

Sunday in the Park with George

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#82Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 11:26am

is this "bring back" as in a revival of a show or as in the exact same production?

for exactness: "Carousel" (1994) or "Follies" (1971)
for revival: "Dancin'"

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.
Updated On: 4/3/06 at 11:26 AM

King Stevos
#83Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 11:29am

It's a bird... It's a plane.... It's Superman.

Can you imagine how hilarious this show would be if done like Urinetown?

KING STEVOS

"IF I TRY THERE MAY BE A CHANCE / WE COULD LOVE WITH OUR EYES CLOSED/ WITH OUR EYES CLOSED WE COULD CHANGE THE WORLD!"- Stephen Dwight

incendiary_wit Profile Photo
incendiary_wit
#84Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 11:39am

I'd bring back Aida, but on the non-Broadway I'd definitely bring back Mister. That was such a great show, I wish it had run longer.

1. Ted Allen: Everyone has an interesting life if you ask the right questions.
2. Great buckets of Spoffnor, they're going to sing!
3. "I love shrubs that are historical." -Johnny and The Sprites
4. "We're not singing it to you, we're singing it for us." -Rosario Dawson, about La Vie Boheme
5. "The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours." -The History Boys
6. "Pass the parcel. That's sometimes all you can do. Take it, feel it and pass it on. Not for me, not for you, but for someone, somewhere, one day. Pass it on, boys. That's the game I want you to learn. Pass it on." -The History Boys

incendiary_wit Profile Photo
incendiary_wit
#85Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 11:40am

*kills double post and school computers*

1. Ted Allen: Everyone has an interesting life if you ask the right questions.
2. Great buckets of Spoffnor, they're going to sing!
3. "I love shrubs that are historical." -Johnny and The Sprites
4. "We're not singing it to you, we're singing it for us." -Rosario Dawson, about La Vie Boheme
5. "The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours." -The History Boys
6. "Pass the parcel. That's sometimes all you can do. Take it, feel it and pass it on. Not for me, not for you, but for someone, somewhere, one day. Pass it on, boys. That's the game I want you to learn. Pass it on." -The History Boys
Updated On: 4/3/06 at 11:40 AM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#86Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 11:51am

PARADE was sabotaged when the failing Livent pulled out its share of the funding. If that money had been in place the show might have lasted until Tony Time and might indeed have woon (it did take best book and best score) but with the reviews being mixed to unfavourable, it wasn't bringing in enough to stay open. Even so, it was a dubious project to pay off but on my Tony Awards listing I would rather list PARADE than FOSSE. (I would also rather list "No Award" rather than the dreadful SUNSET BLVD.)

RAGTIME will be back..it has been in regional stagings already and judging from the reaction of the capacity crowd I saw it with in Mississauga last weekend, it still has the power to involve and move people...and that makes it a success. It was a financial flop, but it is a sucess.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

robyn525600
#87Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 11:56am

TABOO
THE CIVIL WAR
AIDA
STARLIGHT EXPRESS

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#88Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 12:22pm

A Little Night Music

Carrie

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#89Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 12:28pm

1. On the 20th Century

2. The Robber Bridegroom

3. City of Angels

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#90Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 12:40pm

King Steveos

I saw "It's A Bird, It's A Plane..." and believe me, it was not funny. It was supposed to be, but it was a real traain wreck. I was a kid then and although my folks made a point of travelling to NY all the time to see shows, I had not yet fallen in love with musicals (perhaps BECAUSE my folks worked in theater.) But SUPERMAN, wow. The show had been advertised in the back of DC Comics and it was the one show I wanted to see. It just wasn't very good because it was camped up. Like the Batman series, but without the self-knowing humor. Adam West knew he was in a farce ala Charlie's Aunt. Bob Holiday thought he was Superman. The real star of the show was Jack Cassidy, who was wonderful and the sets, which were amazing. At one point, a drop went up and they had an entire page from a comic book onstage, with action happening in about eigth pannels, each with a unique setting inside them. I seem to remember one of the panels had a hanging sign that said "meanwhile..." That was cool, but the obverall effect wasn't anywhere near as funny as they thought it was. I guess it was like when I heard they were making a movie about Doc Savage. I thought "cool" until I saw a picture of Ron Ely, dressed in character and he was wearing a beltwhat had "Doc Davage" logo carved in the buckle. I suddenly realized "they didn't get it." SAme feeling...

PS it's amazing when a forgotten sho can have one huge hit song. Superman's was "You've got possibilities" which I still love because it seems fresh and original fourty years later.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#91Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 12:51pm

With a new book-
ANYONE CAN WHISTLE!

Allmylife- thanks for the memories- it's great when the focus manages to move away from the last couple of seasons!

PS I've seen the archive video of Dreamgirls and The Wild Party- I'd certainly like to see them live!

WhenURScrap Profile Photo
WhenURScrap
#92Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 1:55pm

Andrew Lippa's "The Wild Party", "Urinetown", "Fiddler Revival" (Yeah I wanted to see this one!!! and I would also have to say Over Here! from way back when. Good show.

beenthere Profile Photo
beenthere
#93Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 2:00pm

Ragtime for sure
ooooh and Celebration needs to be looked at again Updated On: 4/3/06 at 02:00 PM

greenifyed Profile Photo
greenifyed
#94Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 2:06pm

Tick Tick Boom.

Erm. And All Shook Up.

"The tick BOOM tick BOOM is so loud I can't hear the rain on the grass. I can't hear the wind. I'm about to scream. But I realize I'm not alone."

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#95Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 2:36pm

1. Carrie, with some needed changes
2. Caroline, or Change
3. Dreamgirls
4. La Cage Aux Folles
5. Side Show
I got it down to 5 but if it had to be one it would be Carrie

Sleeper2 Profile Photo
Sleeper2
#96Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 3:12pm

no question, Ragtime. Closing that show was ridiculous.

I would also like to see a new production of Liza's THE ACT, but only if she goes back on the pills and liquor.

peach
#97Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 3:14pm

Pippin
Dreamgirls
West Side Story
Hair

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#98Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 3:37pm

Here are a few not mentioned:

1) The Mystery of Edwin Drood
2) Barnum
3) Shenandoah
4) Promises, Promises
5) Kiss of the Spiderwoman

I would like to see all 5 of these revived. Of course I also am in agreement with everyone who mentioned Chess, Ragtime, Parade, and The Secret Garden.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#99Bring Back...
Posted: 4/3/06 at 3:47pm

Aspects of Love
Carrie
Jane Eyre
The Woman in White
Sunday in the Park with George

OK, so my list is long.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel