pixeltracker

BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES

BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES

kenmarksnj Profile Photo
kenmarksnj
#0BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 8:55pm

What current or recent broadway smash do you think would actually translate to be a HORRIBLE movie? Not necessarily, because you don't like the show, but logistically, it just wouldn't make sense on screen...

One of my favorite shows, but it would be HORRIBLE on screen...

THE 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE

could you imagine? the movie audience would get nothing out of it. there would be no scene changes, it would just be bland.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 8:56pm

History Boys

Poster Emeritus

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#2re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 9:22pm

I have a feeling History Boys will be a great movie.

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#3re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 9:23pm

Company. It's one of my all-time favorite shows, but I think it's a little too stylistic to transfer to the big screen well.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#4re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 9:26pm

I don't think Avenue Q would transfer very well to the silver screen.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#5re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 9:29pm

I think 'Avenue Q' would work amazingly well on a screen. If 'Sesame Street' can pull it off, y'know?

With the right creative team and an open-minded audience, I reckon anything can make a successful transition. Unfortunately, the right creative team doesn't happen as often as it should, and an open-minded audience is even rarer.

FWIW, I didn't think POTO transferred very well. ^_^

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#6re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 9:31pm

History Boys would indeed be a "bad bad bad" MUSICAL theater movie. Good thing they made it a NON-musical film. re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

jam_man
#7re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 9:35pm

A Chorus Line. They tried and faild. Miserably. I'm not sure I could see it at all working well as a movie, same with Company, or any other plotless concept musical.

Also Spamalot, unless they bring the origianl Pythons together again, which won't happen since one is dead.

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#8re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 9:41pm

Yea Avenue Q could be amazing on screen if the puppet's operaters were not visable.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#9re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 10:12pm

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and THE PRODUCERS, oh too late.

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#10re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 10:55pm

Drowsy Chaperone. No. I love it, but it's so meant to be onstage.

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

TheaterDude15 Profile Photo
TheaterDude15
#11re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 11:02pm

Wicked...yikes.

"Anything you do, let it come from you, then it will be new. Give us more to see" -Sunday in the Park with George

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#12re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 11:32pm

I think That Lestat would've been dreadful. Though it could have had some beautiful costumes and sets. I think Ave Q. should become a TV Series on somethin' like Showtime; just think of the stuff they'd tackle and be genius while doing.

Cheers,

Christopher

www.christopherviolett.com

Bret Profile Photo
Bret
#13re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 11:37pm

Wicked. I think a non-musical, more along the lines of the book, would be fantastic. But I just don't see "The Wizard and I" and "Defying Gravity" on the big screen.

"Wherever you go... I'll be right there. When you get your own private kick in the ass, just remember: it's a present from me to you." Rose's dying words to Louise

Luckydave14
#14re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/7/06 at 11:41pm

I don't think Drowsy Chaperone would ever work on film, unless they totally changed the show to become like a dream sequence.

ChrisLK
#15re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/8/06 at 12:03am

Marie Christine, but that wouldn't happen in a million years. (love MJL, but talk about difficult! On the other hand, if someone adapted it, but pulled an Evita and substituted Audra for some pop star it could be hilarious)

I agree jam man, concept musicals wouldn't work on screen. That's one of the many things that theater can pull of that movies just can't.

Personally, I want a Light in the Piazza movie sometime in the future, so that it can star Audra McDonald.

"I could use a little... Miracle." ~SWIWS

jam_man
#16re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/8/06 at 12:47am

Hate to threadjack, but who would Aurdra be in Piazza? She's too young for Margaret, and just too old for Clara. That said I would KILL to hear her sing the title song - hell, for that matter, the whole damn show, including Fabrizio's stuff!

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

Ruprecht2
#17re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/8/06 at 1:02am

James885
I don't think Avenue Q would transfer very well to the silver screen.

I AGREE! the general public would be HORRIFIED! there would be parents outraging everywhere!

achancetofly Profile Photo
achancetofly
#18re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/8/06 at 3:47am

Wicked. Most definitely.

I think it just wouldn't be able to transfer to screen at all.

The magic of the show is very much in the visual appearance of the stage. It's very color-based and magical and whimsical, and it just could not be replicated the same way in a simulated environment on screen.

And I mean, one of the most spectacular things about the show is in "Defying Gravity", seeing Elphaba rise above the stage, flying. Doing something like that on stage is phenomenal, and appears so beautiful and magestic, even though it's nothing more than a cherry picker behind a big drape.

But to see her fly on big screen, it's no big deal. We've all seen stuff like that before. CGI, effects, since it's nothing new or nothing noteworthy done on screen...it just wouldn't have nearly the same effect.

The plotline would work...but it just could not be replicated in its state on-stage.

I would, however, like to see another attempt at a non-musical movie based on the novel. Because even though they originally had trouble with it, they've all had much more experience with the story now with it made into a musical. They could tweak around plot points a bit to make it easier, but I really would like to see a screen adaptation of the book. But not the musical in its present state, for the reasons stated above.

"Cages or wings, which do you prefer?"-- Tick, Tick...BOOM!

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#19re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/8/06 at 8:33am

Rent, bland show, bland movie.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

faithanytwo Profile Photo
faithanytwo
#20re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/8/06 at 9:23am

I agree with you, achancetofly, about Wicked, I hope they never attempt to make it into a movie. I think RENT could be done well though, I mean, they always lose something when it transfers to the screen and obviously won't be as good as seeing it live.

NathanLaneStalker
#21re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/8/06 at 9:38am

RENT was ok for. The Producers was the best! It stayed true to the show, it had most of the original cast, fun cameos, and I thought that Uma Thurman was ok!

Avenue Q would be awesome if it had Gary Coleman playing himself and the puppeters were not visible!!! and I disagree! It would have parents outraging everywhere! But look what South Park and all of those other shows went threw! When South Park The Movie came out it was all over the news! But that didn't stop it to be a blockbuster and to be nominated for some Oscars!!!! I think Avenue Q would be perfect! And of course it would be Rated R! So if parents take their kids to a movie in which they knew was rarted R why would it be such a big deal? They where stupid enough to take their kids to a R rated movie!

Spelling Bee I think would be good if they got the original cast but got Snoop Dog to play Mitch Mahoney (sp?)

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

kenmarksnj Profile Photo
kenmarksnj
#22re: BAD BAD BAD MUSICAL THEATER MOVIES
Posted: 7/8/06 at 11:27am

catstagestud-

i am pretty sure lestat was dreadful enough. i don't think warner brothers would take another chance on transfering it to the screen..

yikes

Videos