Anastasia The Musical

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#0Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 11:26am

I hope it happens! No announcements were made, but I think it would be a hit!

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

GoodbyeMyLover Profile Photo
GoodbyeMyLover
#1re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 11:44am

yeah i would go see that. i love the movie!

"Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul." - Marilyn Monroe

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 11:55am

It's been discussed here on BWW SOOO many times. I, myself, think I created two topics on the subject.

Let's just get Ahrens & Flaherty on the phone and see what they have to say...

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

anthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photo
anthonycbaron@mac.co
#3re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 12:31pm

I doubt this one will happen. Not to mention it would need some real reworking.

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#4re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 2:05pm

I think Meg could reprise her title role.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

AshleyBrownFan123
#5re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 2:23pm

I pictured Ashley Brown as Anya/Anastasia for some odd reason...
I would def have Gavin Creel as Dimitri and Terrance Mann as Rasputin

Queenie Was A Blonde Profile Photo
Queenie Was A Blonde
#6re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 3:15pm

Too bad she didn't sing in the movie.

"Dont look at me that way Your ears and your eyes Got used to the lies But you're getting the truth today"

"Ah the city. So many lights you can actually pretend one of them is shining on you."

CLIFF: "There was a cabaret and there was a master of ceremonies and there was a city called Berlin in a country called Germany - and it was the end of the world and I was dancing with Sally Bowles - and we were both fast asleep"

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#7re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 3:20pm

What? Meg didn't sing in the movie?? Are you sure???

Since she is a trained musical theater performer (i.e "Chicago"),I thought she was singing.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#8re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 3:41pm

What do you mean by i.e. Chicago? When was she in Chicago?

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

EmieMarie Profile Photo
EmieMarie
#9re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 3:44pm

i think dear old meg is too old, if they make it a musical (i'd see it!) THey should get someone new or young and fresh

Fear no more the heat o' the sun, Nor the furious winter's rages; Thou thy worldly task hast done, Home art gone and ta'en thy wages: Golden lads and girls all must, As chimney-sweepers, come to dust. ~Cymbeline

Yero
#10re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 3:52pm

Meg Ryan didn't do her own singing in the movie. Liz Callaway I believe did the singing.
Don't hurt me, but I've never seen the movie and I have never heard the music either, so I have no idea if it will work or not.

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#11re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 4:04pm

mr tuttle- of the principals only kelsey grammer and angela lansbury, and bernadette peters did their own singing

the other singers were;
anastasia- liz callaway
dimitri- jonathan dokuchitz
rasputin- jim cummings (aka winnie the pooh/ tigger/ and occasionally eeyore)
and for the record an amazing ensemble including
jeff blumenkrantz
Victoria Clark
Darius de Haas
Madeline Doherty
Gregg Edelman
John Jellison
Alix Korey
Bill Nolte
Michele Pawk
Billy Porter
Patrick Quinn
J.K. Simmons
Emily Skinner
Lillias White

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
Updated On: 7/29/06 at 04:04 PM

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#12re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 4:10pm

Don't forget Bernadette Peters as Sophie.

Mr. Tuttle...you are thinking of Melanie Griffith.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

SarahBeth Profile Photo
SarahBeth
#13re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 4:12pm

I'd wanna see it. It's one of my favorite movies. I didn't know Victoria Clark was in it though! I feel ashamed of myself.

"I'll show you a laughgasm. I'll gasm all over this stage!"
"Interesting choice"

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#14re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 4:14pm

I'd see it. And why didn't I know about Victoria Clark!?

DramaQueen700 Profile Photo
DramaQueen700
#15re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 4:24pm

because she sings ONE line in ONE song, theres a rumor in st. petersburg lol

"The Light in the Piazza....My Love"

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#16re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 4:30pm

Jonart how dare you forget Andrea Martin as the old russian woman!

Um i think Gretchen Mol should play Anya...i second Ashley Brown though too

Emily Skinner for Sophie
Angela as Emperess

ChrisLK
#17re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 4:42pm

Wow, what a group! I didn't know anything about the ensemble. Anyway, I would love to see a theatrical production of it, although it presents the same old technical problems as all movie adaptations, and the bad guy is rather un-musical. And I'd feel bad for whoever would play Sophie; she'd be compared to Bernadette. But I'm always up for a chance to hear some more Ahrens and Flarhety music, and "Once Upon A December" is an excellent song. I'd love to see a production of it!

"I could use a little... Miracle." ~SWIWS

AshleyBrownFan123
#18re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 7:58pm

Wow, big ensemble!!!!!

If I had $20, 000, 000 to put up this show, the side walls would have old portraits that become real people who come out and fly over the audience during a ballroom dance. It would be hard, but I would want to be either director or set designer.

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#19re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/29/06 at 8:10pm

Oh it would be such a great show. They could do some amazing spectacle, costuming, choreography, effects... Plus it would be a great family draw - but I'd still go. Again and again.

Props to the Gavin/Terrence casting. Haha! I can see it.

goldenstate5
#20re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/30/06 at 2:47am

The only problem is that Anastasia is a 20th Century FOX movie (not Disney as many people mistake it for)...

...and I don't recall there being a FOX Theatrical unit, do you> A pretty big producer would want to produce and the only Broadway shows that were scouted from animated films (Charlie Brown does not count) are very high-grossing Disney movies, all of which grossed higher than Anastasia.

Other than these "little" problems, if it were onstage, it could be brilliant!

(ducks from the flames he gets when people tell him to stop with the reality)...

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#21re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 7/30/06 at 3:41am

not to mention, aside from the animated version, there IS a musical of "Anastasia" that has tried to make it on Broadway for decades in various inceptions.

A Wright and Forrest vehicle based on the Marcel Maurette play with musical themes by Rachmananoff, it started life as 'Anya' with Constance Towers.

The latest version I'm aware of is a studio recording with Judy Kaye and Len Cariou, under the title 'Anastasia.'

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#22re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 8/30/06 at 12:20am

I am sure that there have been different versions of Anastasia. The story is russian folk lore. However, there have been different versions of what happend to the qustionable daughter of the final czar. For those of you that don't know, there have been stories about how the last czar had a daughter that never managed to flee Russia with the rest of them. Now, some even qustion as to weather or not the daughter existed or not. But the version we are talking about is one that the people at fox turned into a movie. I think that it will be a great show and is one I am hopeing for very much. I know that fox would have the money to mount a Broadway show. Just like Universal has the money to. I would be looking foward to see how they stage Rasputians song "In the dark of the night"

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

flicker_ Profile Photo
flicker_
#23re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 8/30/06 at 1:09am

The music in Anastasia is really beautiful and perfect for the stage, but there are many scenes that I think would be hard to work out. For example- the train scene where they jump off because it's about to go over a broken bridge, the boat scene. I'm sure there's other things, too. But I absolutely love the score, and I think Rasuputin's character would be a wonderful thing to behold on stage.

Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings.

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#24re: Anastasia The Musical
Posted: 8/30/06 at 10:27am

LOL! I always get Meg Ryan and Melanie Griffith mixed up. They are both like the same person. Terrible actresses. I love that Melanie's career has tanked so bad she is not even the star on that sh!tty WB show.

Videos