Mrs. Lovett's Death

Mattbrain
#0The BroadwayWorld.com equivalent of ruining the ending of The Crying Game
Posted: 8/8/06 at 2:19pm

Does anyone know if Mrs. Lovett gets her throat cut in the revival as opposed to being thrown in the oven in other productions.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Updated On: 11/25/06 at 02:19 PM

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#1re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 2:29pm

This may be considered a spoiler and you might want to rewrite your title.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

thevolleyballer
#2re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 2:41pm

May be a spoiler? It's basically giving away one of the only twists of the show. Bah.

And yeah, she does get her throat cut. I was so hoping to see an oven-related death, but no. Everyone has to get their throat cut. No Final Destination-esque deaths here.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#3re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 3:06pm

"No Final Destination-esque deaths here."

I'm never going on a roller coaster again because of that movie.

keatonbynumbers Profile Photo
keatonbynumbers
#4re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 3:09pm

I guess there ARE people who don't know the story of Sweeney Todd and this subject is a spoiler.

But yeah, I think this production really needs Mrs. Lovett to be killed by getting her throat cut. Not only because the presence of an oven (or something acting like an oven) just wouldn't work for such a scaled down production, but with this particular Sweeney and this particular Lovett, having her thrown into an oven would be too... impersonal. Or something.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#5re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 3:22pm

Mrs. Lovett DIES????

OMG, you wrecked it for me.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#6re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 3:26pm

Seriously though, I'm not familiar with Sweeney and was planning on seeing it. Thanks for ruining it, mattbrain.

matt schneider
#7re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 3:29pm

She does get her thrpat cut, but he goes mad and keeps cutting, and gives her a painfull death, not like the others.

The bushes of Tex were nervous recks because their son was dim, But look what happened to him~Dirrty Rotten Scoundrels~all about Ruprecht They say the thoughtful musicals dead on broadway~forbiden broadway : SVU~The crime scene Never say never, there's always one more person you can hit up~avenue Q.~the money song Life sucks, get a pacifyer~my own saying

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#8re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 3:33pm

This question popped up in my mind this morning when I listened to the Revival cd but I quickly remembered. There's no oven onstage anyway.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#9re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 3:38pm

Change the goddamn title of this thread now!

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#10re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 3:53pm

The first thing I said when I saw the title was "this is going to be a bad post, isn't it?"

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#11re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 3:59pm

I've seen the production before and all, I know what happens in the end...

But Jesus! C'mon man, I hate to talk down to you, but you should know better than that!!!!
I'm so mad right now!

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

renthead92 Profile Photo
renthead92
#12re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 4:03pm

I've never seen this production, but while I was trying to get to sleep last night, I put on the second disc of the recording, and I got to the number where all of this happens. I couldn't get to sleep for forever! This recording gives me nightmares. Seriously. Note to self: Never listen to Sweeney Todd before bed!

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#13re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 4:36pm

Way to give away the ending, buddy. There are some people who don't know it yet...I'm sure not many, but some..

Jon
#14re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 6:17pm

How does the revival handle the moment where Sweeney suddenly realizes that Rosebud was a sled?

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#15re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 6:59pm

Or that it was all just a dream.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Updated On: 8/8/06 at 06:59 PM

Yero
#16re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 7:02pm

I'm not going to get all angry or anything, but, thanks for ruining it :)

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

CurtisTaylorJr2 Profile Photo
CurtisTaylorJr2
#17re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 7:28pm

Sounds creepy

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#18re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 7:29pm

I'm surprised the topic starter hasn't changed this yet. Maybe they got run out of town...

Color and Light
#19re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 7:32pm

Jon, you made me spit water out on my keyboard, damn it!

Stop looking at my charisma.

TheMecca
#20re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 8:06pm

THE CHICK IN THE CRYING GAME IS REALLY A-
*gasp*
I mean, uh, The Crying Game, what a great movie!
Thanks for ruining it, mattbrain.

Updated On: 8/8/06 at 08:06 PM

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#21re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 8:10pm

moderator, editor, someone help, save us from the spoilers, just delete the whole thread!!!

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#22re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 8:17pm

So, wait, Mrs Lovett is a DUDE?

Color and Light
#23re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 8:21pm

Actually, Mrs. Lovett is Kaiser Sose. She also killed Dumbledore.

Stop looking at my charisma.

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#24re: Mrs. Lovett's Death
Posted: 8/8/06 at 8:25pm

OK, these are pretty funny, but in the absence of the original poster or a mod, why don't we just stop bumping this? (Yes, I'm replying, but as I type this the topic is already at the top.) I haven't seen Sweeney yet and I'm just a little pissed that this topic is so easily visible.

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)
Updated On: 8/8/06 at 08:25 PM

Videos