nexttoelectric Profile Photo
nexttoelectric
#100re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 11/27/08 at 3:38am

"Apology to a Cow" from Bat Boy

Real Lyric "We had a chance at happiness, blissfully unaware..."

Heard Lyric "We inter-transect at Venus, blissfully unaware..."

Yeah my ears a little wacky sometimes.

Here's another one, not something that left me puzzled, it actually made sense in context, but was still completely misheard.

"In The Heights" from ITH

Real Lyric "Until the day we go from poverty to stock options"

Heard Lyric "Until the day we go from hominy to stock options"

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#101re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 11/27/08 at 5:38am

AHHHH!

See, I always heard "poppin' Nina's stock options", so I'm happy to find out what it really is. XD

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#102re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 11/27/08 at 10:08am

Here's another classic one from me:

"One day more, another day another destiny, this never ending road to Calgary."

When I was six, that made perfect sense.

"You see, I told you so! There's lots of things I know. 'Ponine, she knows her way around."

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#103re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 12/20/08 at 9:30pm

So I got Mamma Mia as an early Chanukah present and watched it, having seen it once before in theaters. I put on that Sing-Along feature, otherwise known as subtitles in most films (though the follow-along did remind me of those old-school Disney Sing-Along Songs). And although I did not sing along, I was ashamed to realize I have been singing incorrect Abba verses for years. Like - not even close. And what's sad is most of what I thought was said doesn't even make sense, it just is what it sounded like when I first heard it and thus has been ingrained as the correct way for so long. For instance, in "Take A Chance On Me" I have always been positive the line was "Listen to some music / Maybe do some coke and...you'd get to know me better" - it really sounds like they say this. But more importantly, most of the chorus I even sang incorrectly. I always thought
If You're All Alone / When the pretty birds have flown.
was
If You're All Alone/ And it really hurts ....something.
But certainly not "pretty birds".

So yes. Some rather recent musical indiscretions.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#104re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 12/20/08 at 10:01pm

I always thought the end of "One Day more" was:

"One more dawn
One more door
One day more."

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#105re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 12/20/08 at 10:10pm

When I first heard "Lovely Ladies" I mistook "Cost a little extra if you want to take all year!" as "Cost a little extra if you want it in the rear!" (which I guess makes sense, considering it's a song about prositution). And "Quick and cheap is underneath the pier!" as "Weekend cheapies underneath the pier!"

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

Madcap Maisie Profile Photo
Madcap Maisie
#106re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 12/20/08 at 10:12pm

not a musical, but this all ways got me...

"hold me closer, Tony Danza..."

oh elton....

"You know what really makes me mad? When girls think they can sing just because they are on the Disney Channel."

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#107re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 12/20/08 at 10:18pm

I think I've posted this before, but I always thought the Sailor in "Lovely Ladies" said "Seven days at sea can make you hungry for a bloke." Which, of course, semmed perfectly fine to me.

Jon
#108re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 12/20/08 at 10:21pm

...count the head lice on the highway...

beltingbaritone Profile Photo
beltingbaritone
#109re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 12/20/08 at 10:56pm

"I Know Its Today" on the Shrek website.

Real lyric (someone had to point this out to me): "The prince is good at kissing and melting Snow White's heart."

What I heard: "The prince is good at pissing and melting Snow White's heart."

There was just the lyric about how does Snow White pee, and I was thinking there was some sort of theme going on....

Men don't even belt.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#110re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 12/21/08 at 3:19am

In 'Eva Beware of the City' (Evita), this is the approximate real lyric:

"I want to be a part of B. A.: Buenos Aires, Big Apple!"

I always heard:

"I want to be a part of, be a Buenos Aires big apple."

I thought it was slightly weird, but that maybe 'big apple' had other meanings I wasn't aware of...

rjjn Profile Photo
rjjn
#111re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 5/15/09 at 1:06am

This didn't leave me puzzled, but I always thought it was funny that in the Sweeney Todd movie, it sounds like Lucy says "that's the great Judge Turpin's ass that is" instead of house.

"Rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love." -Neil Patrick Harris

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#112re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 5/15/09 at 1:56am

"All Grown Up" from BARE.

I was listening to it yesterday, from the new recording, and she says "remember back in seventh grade. When we were all just friends. Something....something...Shay's Arcade?"

Does she name drop the name of the arcade? or what's she saying?

Madcap Maisie Profile Photo
Madcap Maisie
#113re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 5/15/09 at 7:01am

In BATB in Home Reprise when Mrs. Potts sings "If anyone can make the most of living here then Belle, it you"

I always thought it was "If anyone can make the most of living here THAN Belle, it you"

Which made no sense, because she's talking TO Belle.

"You know what really makes me mad? When girls think they can sing just because they are on the Disney Channel."

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#114re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 5/15/09 at 9:23pm

When I was little, I thought "Gee Officer Krupke, you're really a square" was "you're really a squid!" I didn't know that 'square' was slang for an uncool person, so 'squid' made more sense to me.

But yeah, my friend and I made up our own version of the song that goes like this:

"My daddy was a human
My mommy was a shark
My parents didn't realize
Cause it was really dark.
My sister is a mermaid
My brother is a clam
That's the reason I'm the way I am!

Gee, Officer Krupke, you're really a squid
I promise I won't lie to you like your parents did.
Why are you here? You should be in the sea!
Bye-bye now, Officer Krupke!"

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

AndAllThatJazz22
#115re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 5/15/09 at 10:25pm

In "Breathe" from 'In the Heights', Nina says:

"First to college, how do I tell them why?"

and it seriously sounds like she's saying

"First to go to college, how do I tell the wife"

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

LayerBoy4
#116re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 5/22/09 at 12:39am

For "All Grown Up" from "bare" the lyric is "Double dates at Shea's arcade."

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#117re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 5/22/09 at 1:39am

this is more misheard dialogue, but it's on the cast recording. in Grey Gardens, when the Edies are arguing about the program during "Mother, Darling," Big Edie says that she and Gould had been slaving away like a couple of Phoenicians. I always heard her say they'd been slaving away like a couple of Venetians. and now the line makes 100% more sense.

(ha! looking back, I see someone had the same problem and learned the real line 2 years before I did.)

and I still swear in "The House We Live In," Edie's saying "march to my old woman," and not "march to buy a war bond" or whatever the "actual" line is.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 5/22/09 at 01:39 AM

madlibrarian
#118re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 5/22/09 at 3:10pm

BAKER STREET cast album: "What A Night This Is Going To Be!": for decades I heard "Win or lose, sink or swim" as "With a new single spin", which doesn't rhyme or make sense or give due credit to Inga Swenson's impeccable diction.

[tos]fan999 Profile Photo
[tos]fan999
#119re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 5/22/09 at 4:36pm

givesmevoice, I totally thought the exact same thing about those two things until I read your post. And it still sounds like "March to my old woman" to me.

<-----Bernadette Peters and Alexander Hanson in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Send in the clowns...Send in the crowds!

"I prefer neurotic people. I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface."-Stephen Sondheim

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#120re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 5/23/09 at 12:21pm

For an embarrassingly long time, I screwed up the words to "Out Tonight" from RENT. The part where she says, "This chick will dance in the flames," I always heard "This chick will dance in the PLAINS!" I was like, "IS THAT SLANG FOR SOMETHING? WHY IS SHE DANCING IN THE PLAINS?" haha

I honestly didn't figure it out until I saw some random video of Tamyra singing it, and she did some sort of "fire" motion with her hand. Cue me thinking, "What is she.. OH MY GOD!

heo1128
#121re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 5/24/09 at 12:29am

What the hell does Alice say in Wish I Were Here at 0:56 on the recording? I think the phrase ends with 'austere' but I have no clue what comes before that.
Updated On: 5/24/09 at 12:29 AM

bwayfan7000
#122re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 5/24/09 at 12:39am

I believe it's "I'd imagine it's remarkable, exuberant, austere/Wish I were here."

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

heo1128
#123re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 5/24/09 at 8:41pm

Ohhh it was the 'exuberant' I wasn't catching. I hear it now lol. Thanks!

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#124re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 5/25/09 at 4:19am

Ok I LOVE "Legally Blonde", but for the longest time I misheard the lyrics for "OMIGOD YOU GUYS!"...and when I thought I'd gotten it right, it turns out I misheard again!

The lyrics are: "They're just like the couple from Titanic, only no-one dies!"

I heard

1)They're just like that couple from Titanic, only low on ice!"
2)They're just like that couple from Titanic, only warm and nice!"

I thought both made sense, to be honest!

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)