News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

What Act I ending made you cry the most?

What Act I ending made you cry the most?

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#1What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 9:54am

I would have to say RAGTIME, not just because im obsessed with Ragtime, but if you dont cry by the end of Act I of RAGTIME, you have a heart of Stone/Ice

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

actor
#1re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 10:01am

Cry out of misery because the show is putting you to sleep? That'd be Hairspray/The Producers. No bash comments please.

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#2re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 10:03am

I was talking about "Crying due to being so moved"

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

Mattbrain
#3re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 10:03am

I was a mess by the end of Act I of Ragtime. I was a bigger mess by the end of the whole show.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#4re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 10:09am

I have to admit, the first time I saw Wicked, I was awestruck. However, I guess I'd have to say the most brilliant act 1 finale I've ever seen would be "A Little Priest" with Michael and Patti. God, I love those two.

On a side note, allthough I've never seen it live, the act 1 finale of "The Woman in White" always gives me the chills.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#5re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 10:26am

Among recent Broadway musicals, The Color Purple's Act 1 finale is incredibly emotional. This is particularly impressive because the emotion is achieved through a book scene instead of a big, showy closing number.

The act break of Side Show is also pretty depressing.

Not sure what else at the moment. It's difficult to make the act break sad or depressing because then audience members have no reason to return for Act 2.

iluvtheatertrash
#6re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 10:28am

Definately LES MISERABLES (moreso the revival - it felt like decades since I'd seen ONE DAY MORE) and RAGTIME.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#7re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 10:29am

I cried at the end of the first act of Ragtime...because I had to come back and sit through the second act. *Shudder*

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Josh Freilich
#8re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 10:37am

Yeah, "Woman in White" makes you cry.
"One Day More" as well as "La Vie Boheme Part B" makes ME want to SOB!!!!

Some tears in "Elegy" from Movin' Out.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

timote316
#9re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 10:38am

The reaction of the children around me when the car took off in Chitty brought tears to my eyes.

Oh, and I second Movin Out.

mrcacou Profile Photo
mrcacou
#10re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 11:04am

I was a total mess at the end of the first act of "the Beautiful Game".
****Spoiler****
It was so simple, just a bare stage with a coffin, drums and rain falling down. I will always remember seeing that big macho man drying his tears and trying to hide it.

In my heart, I found the answered dream, and in my soul I found the song, and in my friends I found the magic, the love, the moon up above- they were mine, all mine, all along..!

Lizzya9
#11re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 11:15am

If I Can't Love Her - Beauty and the Beast

Thesbijean
#12re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 12:07pm

"Sunday" from Sunday in the Park with George is IMO the most emotional and beautiful Act I closer I have ever seen or heard...

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#13re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 12:10pm

"Cry out of misery because the show is putting you to sleep? That'd be Hairspray/The Producers. No bash comments please.'

Hairspray wasn't that bad. Producers i cried in wanting to go home

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#14re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 12:11pm

"'Til We Reach that Day" from Ragtime.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 12:12pm

"Sunday" from Sunday in the Park with George is IMO the most emotional and beautiful Act I closer I have ever seen or heard...

- ABSOLUTELY.

snowie862 Profile Photo
snowie862
#16re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 12:13pm

My Ragtime experience was ruined. I a horrible production of it at a University.
I was excited for "Your Daddy's Son", but when Sarah started singing, is was a ping pong game between Belting and airy head voice... Airy- non supported head voice won.

Edgar and Mother were the two best characters of the night.

The production I saw didn't really have a set... It was more like a concert version of Ragtime.

Back to the Topic...
I haven't really cried after any pre-intermission song. I did bawl during Little Women when Jo sings about Beth (not the one they sing together). And.. Spelling Bee during the I Love You Song.

Updated On: 11/25/06 at 12:13 PM

Claire2141 Profile Photo
Claire2141
#17re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 12:53pm

I saw Wicked with Kerry Ellis from the front row for the first time this week and it was my first time seeing DG from 'below'.

Far more awe-making from down below and choked me a little - plus Kerry was so fantastic (and different) that it really made me happy.

LostLeander
#18re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 12:59pm

Piazza and randomly, Cabaret.

Piazza, is just so damned beautiful, I was actually immobile.

I was utterly creeped out disturbed by Cabaret's Act I Finale... good for Mendes.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

lovelyspotlight Profile Photo
lovelyspotlight
#19re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 12:59pm

I think the end of the first act of Children of Eden is a tearjerker. The one time I saw it, it ("Children of Eden") was one of the most emotional songs I've ever seen performed.

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#20re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 1:20pm

"Piazza, is just so damned beautiful, I was actually immobile."

agreed! i really for the characters there.

anddd, definitely wicked, i was just speechless, and i cried. it was embarrassing actually. haha.
and rent, it's a very empowering piece, it made me want to like, make a difference in the world. okay i'm lame.

also, i've never seen in staged, but i imagine west side story to be incredible. [it's my favorite]

anddd, TL5Y was gorgeous, too. it made me sad because it was so perfect and i knew what was coming in the end.

oh and GAWD, jersey boys. their positioning, and the lights and oh my goshhhhh.. just.. WOW! beautiful, really.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#21re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 1:46pm

Oh, definitely Ragtime--even over Miss Saigon, which has a very emotional Act 1 ending.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#22re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 1:52pm

'Will You?", the Act One finale of Grey Gardens, didn't make me cry the most that I can remember, but it did make my eyes water quite a bit. "Another Winter in a Summer Town" on the other hand had me sobbing.
-BJH re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#23re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 2:22pm

I make no apologies for saying Wicked. The whole idea of "Defying gravity" when applied to all aspects of life...is quite moving, and throw in the effect and Idina's voice belting through the audience...tears.

Agree with Til We Reach That Day from Ragtime.

The Tomorrow Belongs To Me reprise in Cabaret, and the way everyone rises to join is just...sad.

The inspiration of I Am What I Am from La Cage sometimes moves me.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

worrell4077
#24re: What Act I ending made you cry the most?
Posted: 11/25/06 at 2:34pm

"There's A Fine, Fine Line"-Avenue Q. It's a really touching moment, and it makes me cry a bit(not as much as "Fallen Angel" in Jersey Boys).

Still, my favorite Act I finale is when Norm comes looking for Tommy after The Four Seasons concert in Jersey Boys. It's very suspenseful, especially for those who haven't seen the show.

Videos