strange question

galinda3
#1strange question
Posted: 1/8/07 at 8:16pm

Ok this question is really strange, but after my most recent trip to NYC I've been thinking about this..Why do Broadway performers spit so much while singing? I've never seen anyone in a community theatre production spit, yet in every Broadway show I've seen I've noticed atleast one actor/actress spit a lot..I know this is a weird question but if anyone has an idea...

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#2re: strange question
Posted: 1/8/07 at 8:19pm

Because they sing louder?

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

eb412
#2re: strange question
Posted: 1/8/07 at 8:22pm

I'm guessing it may just be a coincidence that you have seen more broadway people spit than community theatre people. However it could have to do with the fact that a broadway theatre is generally bigger than regional theatres. The actors on broadway may feel more pressure to ennunciate and be heard in a large theater and therefore occasionally spit.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#3re: strange question
Posted: 1/8/07 at 8:22pm

they went to the Michael Cerveris school of pronounciation.

bigbigbill Profile Photo
bigbigbill
#4re: strange question
Posted: 1/8/07 at 8:29pm

They (have to) try harder.

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#5re: strange question
Posted: 1/8/07 at 8:32pm

Horton must be right, during "no place like london" i saw Cerveris spit through the whole thing... It might be the dialects they are using...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

AnaGFan
#6re: strange question
Posted: 1/8/07 at 8:35pm

It's called enunciation.

SweetQintheLights
#7re: strange question
Posted: 1/8/07 at 8:45pm

On somewhat of the same subject-- sweating.

Yes, they work extremely hard. Yes, they are under hot lots. Yes, sometimes they dance like there's no tomorrow...

But jeez- I've seen people run outside for 10 miles and they don't sweat as much!

The actors shake their head on stage and if you're in a row close to the stage, you get a shower of their sweat!

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

pants2 Profile Photo
pants2
#8re: strange question
Posted: 1/8/07 at 10:48pm

ew i was in the front row of sa and jonathan groff gave me a shower....... gross

Can, can I have it?

galindagirl2 Profile Photo
galindagirl2
#9re: strange question
Posted: 1/8/07 at 10:53pm

I think it has something to do with correct vocal placement while singing. I've found that as my placement and singing has improved over the last couple of years, I've suddenly ended up with more saliva in the front of my mouth while I'm singing. This can unfortunately result in...you know...
Sorry, maybe that was a little too graphic. It's weird I know re: strange question

snl89
#10re: strange question
Posted: 1/8/07 at 10:58pm

all I know is that its GOOD to spit in theater. Theatrical acting and singing coaches will tell you that if you're not spitting, you're not annunciating enough re: strange question

(Aaand.. I think Jon Groff might just be one of the few people I really wouldn't mind getting spit on from hehe. Just kidding! spit is always yucky, no matter how beautiful the person it comes from may be re: strange question)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

MistressoftheHouse
#11re: strange question
Posted: 1/9/07 at 10:18pm

I don't think it's just Broadway, it's music in general.

I've been close to the stage at a few concerts, and the performers spit a lot as well...I still think it has to do with enunciating correctly but it's certainly not limited to Broadway.

Avatar credit goes to _shiksagoddess_ on livejournal.com.

Gingersnap2 Profile Photo
Gingersnap2
#12re: strange question
Posted: 1/9/07 at 11:06pm

Not just Broadway and not just music.

When I was in high school, I was a student usher at a regional production of "Private Lives." The female lead...oh, dear Lord...the way she spit. She was just blasting her partner in the face every time she spoke.

Anytime I've "confronted" Hugh Panaro about his insane spitting, he's just blame ennuciation.

Dover
#13re: strange question
Posted: 1/10/07 at 10:05pm

Another theory: usually you don't see spit as much unless the light catches it just right. A Broadway show will have hundreds more (if not thousands more) lighting instruments than a community theatre or school production, thus more lights on stage hitting at a variety of angles could result in the spit being lit better. I could be way off base here, but it's possible that it's not that the actors are spitting that much more, but just that you're more likely to see it.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#14re: strange question
Posted: 1/10/07 at 10:08pm

Definitely enunciation. I always notice more spitting in good Shakespeare productions than anywhere else.

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#15re: strange question
Posted: 1/10/07 at 10:10pm

Reading the thread just reminds me of the one Friends episode when Joey is acting in the war movie..

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#16re: strange question
Posted: 1/10/07 at 10:17pm

I missed that episode.
When I saw LESTAT, I noticed Hugh spit a lot!
Poor Jim, et al.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#17re: strange question
Posted: 1/10/07 at 10:18pm

Brian O Brynne is a real spitter. If you sit in the first few rows of any show he is in, bring rain gear

Poster Emeritus

Jon
#18re: strange question
Posted: 1/10/07 at 10:25pm

That FRIENDS episode is a classic - with Gary Oldman as the British movie star. After working with him, Joey is convinced that spitting equals great acting.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#19re: strange question
Posted: 1/10/07 at 10:32pm

At the last Broadway show I saw two members of the cast crapped their pants onstage -- is that normal on Broadway? I realize it's pretty common in community shows but I didn't expect Broadway performers to do it as well. Urination, sure, but not feces.

Switz78 Profile Photo
Switz78
#20re: strange question
Posted: 1/10/07 at 10:45pm

on the sweating issue...

if you go running 10 miles outside you dress to do that.
Sometimes on stage you are running around or under lights or just sitting still but you happen to be doing it in an all wool costume or layers or coats and all kinds of stuff, so that could cause a little sweat.
OR if you were me my junior year of college playing Mrs. Peachum in May in a theater thats air conditioning was on the fritz and with a petticoat, corset, wig piece, and a 3 layered costume made of wool and heavy curtains and upholstery- you might not just sweat but PASS OUT during the last scene of the show (which in 3Penny happens to be a hanging, so dramatically it worked very well)

Mark Loves His Scarf Profile Photo
Mark Loves His Scarf
#21re: strange question
Posted: 1/10/07 at 10:51pm

I was wondering that question too, but my friend told me it was an enunciating thing. John Lithgow in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels- buckets and buckets of spit. Gross, but it was an honor seeing him perform, no matter how much he spitted.

"I haven't got a pail." "Find your grail, your GRAIL!" "But it's not missing. It's right on the counter where it's supposed to- defying gravity, my giant cup's gone!" "Five hundred, twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes. How do you measure... measure a year?" "How many times do I have to tell you, it's five hundred twenty-five thousand, five hundred and eighty-five point thirty-two minutes. You will never graduate if you keep basing your math on showtunes." "You ruin Broadway for me." "As well I should."

Videos