pixeltracker

Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel- Page 2

Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#25re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 2:50pm

By the time this opens, ticket prices will be what? $125, at least? Okay, so the money I won't spend on this should get me two more cashmere sweaters at a Bloomingdale's weekend sale.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#26re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 3:01pm

JasonM12480, you are absolutely right. No need to bash all this at an early stage. Let's just see what happens.

Granted, ALW's latest efforts haven't been much (as much as I am a fan, I did not enjoy THE WOMAN IN WHITE for the most part), but I am ready to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And I keep my fingers crossed for him.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#27re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 3:15pm

D2---See? It's a GOOD thing after all.

What scares me is if it turns out to be a hit on any level.

We'll get:

Evita 2: Where we find out she never died, and the whole thing happened in Juan Peron's head.

Jesus Christ Superstar 2: Where we find out he never was crucified, and the whole thing happened in Mary Magdalene's head.

Sunset Blvd. 2: Where crazy Norma escapes from the asylum and runs wild in the streets like the Beggar Woman from Sweeney Todd.

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Hand Bag

The Man in Black (which is actually a prequel to Men In Black)

Aspects of Hate: The other side.

Cats 2: Where Grizabella comes back as Morris from the cat food commercials.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

littlelotte64 Profile Photo
littlelotte64
#28re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 4:07pm

best12bars -

You are SO right and that has to be the funniest thing I heard all day.

Broadwayfanatic2 Profile Photo
Broadwayfanatic2
#29re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 5:06pm

Well I'm pretty sure that he'll have to close The Phantom of the Opera at the Majestic if he makes way for this sequel. I don't know what to think... Anyhow we will see how it goes.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#30re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 5:11pm

Honestly, I'd rather have Webber working on this than his planned adaptation of Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita. I don't want him anywhere near that book.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#31re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 5:15pm

Now, now, there were two musical sequels that did go on to become hits: March of the Falsettos and Falsettoland. So anything is possible.

"Aspects of Hate: The other side"

Ok, I'd pay to see that.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#32re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 5:15pm

best12bars - liked your ideas - really made me laugh there - especially Sunset 2 -

I've been calling Phantom 2: the revenge of Raol...

I don't think it's a wise idea - but I do understand ALW's motivation. Business wise that is - Phantom's run what over 20 years in London = 19 here... tours still going on - vegas- australia - etc. It's grossed over a billion dollars -

If he writes a few beautiful songs, which he's entirely capable of doing, and a percentage of phantom fans go out of curiosity - it can make its money back and then some. I don't know if lightning can hit twice - it's possible, doubtful, but possible.

As for me - I was more interested in his attempt on Master and the Margarita - and hope he hasn't abandoned that for sure.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#33re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 5:18pm

I would love a musical adaptation of M&M, just not written by ALW.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Laura2 Profile Photo
Laura2
#34re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 5:33pm

OMG THIS WILL BE SO BAD LLOL!

Becky2 Profile Photo
Becky2
#35re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 9:14pm

There are just so many reasons why this would not work. I really hope someone talks him out of it, or that he's just playing a really cruel early April Fool's joke.

#36re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 9:45pm

The thing that really perplexes me is Phantom's strengths (and while I'm no huge fan I'll admit it has many really appealing qualities) are the atmosphere it creates--the lush sets and direction, romantic music and basic plot outline. NO ONE IMHO cares what happens to ANY of the characters once the sotry is done--partly because they're barely even characters--the Phantom is the most interesting one and really I think the only story about him that would appeal would be a more detailed prequel/genesis story btu even there I'd hate to see a musical all about it...

A friend of mien who was a Phantom nut in high school read the sequel I believe Andy is working from--in Manhattan and said it was absolutely awful--and he has a high threshold for chease

E

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#37re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 10:51pm

Hasn't this already been confirmed by Webber? Like seventeen times in the last weeek?

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#38re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:09pm

Oy vey.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#39re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:13pm

Whatever.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

rockfenris2005
#40re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:25pm

I look at it this way:

Not the same BUT by 1993 Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman had the highest charting debut album ever "Bat Out Of Hell" which was basically a phenomenon. Then what do they do? Announce a sequel.

"Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell" is listed as one of the greatest comebacks in rock 'n roll with "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" topping the charts in 38 countries worldwide. THEY made lightning strike twice and sequels have probably never ever BEEN attempted for the top 10 / 20 greatest albums ever made.

If you want to look at it theatrically, Jim Steinman basically writes stuff that never got to Broadway and ran for 20 years. Plus it's all for a rock musical called "Neverland"

Not exactly the same, no, but if you can create a hugely successful sequel to one of the most iconic albums ever, then it can be done in theatre. Lloyd Webber just needs a good strong idea and a lot of hard work and good direction to pull it off. BAT II had that, Annie 2 didn't. It was a mess in Washington D.C. They re-wrote it as Annie Warbucks and what was that, Off-Broadway? Plus it just sounds like the first show all over again, IMO

These are my thoughts, BWW'ers.

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific
Updated On: 3/9/07 at 11:25 PM

solitarychele Profile Photo
solitarychele
#41re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/10/07 at 12:05am

best12bars --

That was great! I'd pay huge money to see Aspects of Hate.

:)

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#42re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/10/07 at 12:55am

It's not gonna happen. He's just distracting us from the fact that his other new project isn't happening. Hasn't he been brewing a Phantom sequel for a long time?

yr ronin,
joey

My Strongest Suit Profile Photo
My Strongest Suit
#43re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/10/07 at 4:41am

this is going to be a train wreck. it makes me sad.

LET OTHERS RISE TO TAKE OUR PLACE UNTIL THE EARTH IS FREE!

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#44re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/10/07 at 1:12pm

I love "The Heart is Slow To Learn" though.

I don't even like Phantom 1. . lol. . so the sequel is nothing exciting.

~Jacob.

anthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photo
anthonycbaron@mac.co
#45re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/10/07 at 3:05pm

Agreed. The Heart is Slow to Learn is far more beautiful than anything in the First Phantom of the Opera.

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#46re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/10/07 at 4:19pm

The only thing scarier than the vertical blinds in his office, is his pronunciation of Lhaos - Anghi-Ileez.

http://www.andrewlloydwebber.com/sections/news/videodiary/alw_diary-march-07-newyork/index.php?section=news

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#47re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/10/07 at 4:57pm

Who are you Martha Stewart? Worry about your own blinds.

Baine Profile Photo
Baine
#48re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/10/07 at 9:21pm

I remember always thinking about how symbolic it was for Meg to pick up the mask at the end. It always made me wonder if the Phantom would move on to her.

I like being able to wonder and create my own theories.

The movie destroyed the image, but a sequel would crush that, and any other ideas that I'm left with at the end. It would take something away from the original story, imho.

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#49re: Andrew Lloyd Webber Confirms 'Phantom' Sequel
Posted: 3/10/07 at 9:36pm

Martha Stewart? Hardly!

I, am the great Lipparini, da king of desiginers, designer of kings, E buon giorno good day, I blow you a kiss.....

http://www.espacio.co.uk/cgi-bin/products/designers_biog.asp?Designer=Mauro+Lipparini