News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

My Sherie Rene as Ursula Costume Design

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#1My Sherie Rene as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/12/07 at 10:39pm

Okay, so...The Little Mermaid is coming to Broadway. There are 5,3048 things I can think of that will be QUITE a task getting on stage...but...well, it IS Disney. They make Mary Poppins fly and ride up the banister, which are just two examples of the amazing theatrical effects they've put up on stage. Their creative teams are absolutly amazing, and I'm sure it has plenty to do with their budget...but The Little Mermaid. Well.

So they just recently released the cast list. As I'm reading the article I see that my beloved Sherie Rene Scott (Aida, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The Last Five Years) will be starring in the new Disney show. Um? I'm thinking, wow, she must be starring as Ariel.

Beautiful, blonde, skinny belter. She isn't playing Ariel. She's playing Ursula. My jaw dropped. I was like...what...the...omg. But then I got to thinking. I got past thinking Ursula would be much better played by an obese man in drag and realized. Sherie can do anything. Her Ursula won't be ugly and disgusting, it will be FIERCE. She will be so...amazing. I can't wait to see how she'll perform the role. But her costume. Is a totally different issue. So I started thinking. How do you turn SRS into a giant, fabulous OCTOPUS...on stage? How?! This is my attempt:

There are some weird flaws, but I'm working on fixing them. Any comments or suggestions?

Updated On: 4/12/07 at 10:39 PM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#2re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/12/07 at 10:42pm

I think it's nice - probably a hell of a lot better than what will actually happen (though Sherie has big tits) - but don't you think you should put "MY DESIGN" in the subject or something? People arre going to come here thinking it's THE design.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MungoGypsy8232
#2re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/12/07 at 10:42pm

Wow, that's some major skill!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#3re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/12/07 at 10:43pm

I like it, but one question: Is the big thing under the tentacles a large skirt or a rock? Because if it's a rock, how's she going to move?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/12/07 at 10:43pm

While I applaud your effort, and am strongly impressed by your sketching skills, I think there is an execution flaw. One hand raises half the tentacles. I think all of the tentacles need to be independent. Ursula has the ability to manuveur each tentacle on its own.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#5re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/12/07 at 10:46pm

Your beloved is Sherie Rene, not Renee

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#6re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/12/07 at 10:52pm

Ooooo!! I really like it! It's sort of in the same mindset as the Ariel costume sketch that was posted a while ago.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

BDrischBDemented
#7re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/12/07 at 11:04pm

But...will Ursula still be large? Because otherwise "Wasting Away" becomes pretty lame. It really only works well when it's a heavy character winging about how thin and starving they are.

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#8re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/12/07 at 11:12pm

Blahh..I hope they won't hide her under tons of makeup etc...

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

actor
#9re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/12/07 at 11:27pm

Whoa!

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#10re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/13/07 at 12:57am

Where are the Heelys?

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#11re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/13/07 at 1:02am

If I may be picky, Ursula is a squid with 6 legs, not an octopus with 8. Well, she was in the movie.

Pat Carroll mentioned that she's a squid because it was less expensive to draw.

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

thevolleyballer
#12re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/13/07 at 1:08am

To this day, Ursula remains one of the creepiest, most intriguing Disney villains to me. There's just something about her -- the name, the tentacles, the evil ooze that she just exerts -- she's a fantastic villain, I think.

I applaud your effort for the costume -- I think you've got the basic idea down on how to achieve it. However, as others have said, movement is probably the biggest issue. I don't think she should be hoisted THAT much off the ground yet; otherwise, her big transformation (if done onstage) won't be as grand. Great job, though!

husk_charmer
#13re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/13/07 at 1:23am

Wow...that looks a LOT like how I did my Ursula costume my freshman year of college...great minds, eh?

Beautiful sketching...and for the record, octopi/squid don't typically use individual tentacles unless grabbing, and on stage that'll be terribly difficult to pull of successfully...so there is a good chance for this one to end up similar.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#14re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/13/07 at 9:15am

Too Skinny, but nice try.

My2cents2 Profile Photo
My2cents2
#15re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/13/07 at 10:28am

That's a great sketch. You've definitely got some talent..I'd be interested in seeing your ideas for some other costume pieces as well.

I'm curious...are you interested in costume design or do you just draw as a hobby?

*and Curtain Pull Downer - this IS Sherie Renee we're talking about, she is a thin woman. Sure she's broad shouldered but her body is pretty thin nonetheless....

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#16re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/13/07 at 11:08am

Oh I know My 2 cents, but as Ursula, they are putting her in a baloon or puppet of some sort.

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#17re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/13/07 at 11:18am

Very creative!

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#18re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/13/07 at 11:27am

"Oh I know My 2 cents, but as Ursula, they are putting her in a baloon or puppet of some sort."

Really?

Source, please?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#19re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/13/07 at 1:31pm

Great sketch. Thank you for sharing!

Got any more ideas?

Do you do this just for fun?

Sykes24 Profile Photo
Sykes24
#20re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/13/07 at 1:40pm

I think this design is pretty fantastic. What's great, is you create a really LARGE asethtic in the costume without having to do anything too crazy, it's a fun mix between a fabulous evening gown and an actual fish costume. Congrats!

I'm very impressed! Would love to see more ideas from you!

Sykes24 Profile Photo
Sykes24
#21re: Sherie Renee as Ursula Costume Design
Posted: 4/13/07 at 1:42pm

I think this design is pretty fantastic. What's great, is you create a really LARGE asethtic in the costume without having to do anything too crazy, it's a fun mix between a fabulous evening gown and an actual fish costume. Congrats!

I'm very impressed! Would love to see more ideas from you!

Videos