pixeltracker

2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS- Page 3

2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS

scooter38432 Profile Photo
scooter38432
#50re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 1:18pm

"Ahh yes, scooter, all the Legally Blonde "groupies"
Everyone that likes Spring Awakening, Mary Poppins, etc...that's okay.

But god forbid anyone be happy for Legally Blonde."

A little ludicrous, no?

A little off-topic, but I must defend myself...

Had the book and score been better for LB, I'd understand the overwhelming number of people loving it to death. Sounds like the WICKED syndrome. (But WICKED, as much as I'm not a big fan, is a
much better show than LEGALLY BLONDE.)

While I thought MARY POPPINS was boring and SPRING AWAKENING the best show I've seen this season, far be it from me to tell anyone what to like and what not to like. If you want to be a LB groupie, along with every 15 year old girl and their baby sister, knock yourself out. To each his own.

I'm just saying (and mark my words) that LEGALLY BLONDE may do well in Tony nominations -- undeservedly so -- but possible due to a lack of things from which to choose. The chances of it winning any Tonys, however, are right there alongside those chances of THE WEDDING SINGER last year. (In other words, nil.) The possible exception would be an award for Orfeh, because she did well, but the material she's given is pretty bad. (That Irish song is so dumb.)

Itty Bitty Geisha? Toyland? Gypsy Pasadoble? Just a few popular favorites...

FosterChild Profile Photo
FosterChild
#51re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 1:29pm

The Balford nomination is ridiculous. That's the problem with the Drama Desk, there are simply too many nominees and it just diminishes the value of it all because some names are obviously slot fillers. The Tonys are going to differ a great deal. I'm not going to get specific but some should be very grateful for the recognition they received today as it might be all there is. If they felt some pressing desire to give any nods to PQ, at least they sould have singled out the Choreo.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#52re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 1:33pm

Balgord is terrific and deserves her nom.
I think Block and Fraser should have been included also.
(she is better than Cheno was, and at least as good as Bundy Michelle)

For me the two biggest missing noms are Daniele and Bress's Choreography for PQ and the most glorious Costume Design in New York right now: Martin Pakledinaz also for PQ.

Curtain - I haven't seen the other shows to make comparisons but you echo my thoughts about the costumes and choreography being left out. I wish they would've been recognized.

Congrats to Balgord who I think did a wonderful job, as well as all the other nominees!

Updated On: 4/26/07 at 01:33 PM

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#53re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 1:33pm

BEST ACTOR:
Should win: Raul Esparza
Will win: Raul Esparza

BEST ACTRESS:

Should win: Kristin Chenoweth
Will win: Audra McDonald

BEST MUSICAL:
Should win: Curtains
Will win: Legally Blonde

BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL:
Should win: 110 in the Shade
Will win: 110 in the Shade

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#54re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 1:35pm

I'm really surprised SJB didn't get one. I think she should have.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#55re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 1:36pm

As much as I want LB to win best musical I see LoveMusik or SA.

For some reason LoveMusick is this seasons Drowsy for me...the casts were both great but I really have no desire to see it.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#56re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 1:36pm

While a very talented vocalist, I dont think Block's acting is up to par with the other nominees.

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#57re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 1:47pm

sidjones09, Stark Sands would have been considered Featured. I was referring to the Leading Actor in a Play category, for which Kevin Spacey was nominated and for which Hugh Dancy would have been eligible. Sands would not have been considered for that category.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#58re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 1:53pm

Pardon my ignorance but when do Tony nominations come out?

Interesting who they consider featured/leading, I'm also surprised by some of the nominations...the Tonys are gonna be a lot different than this.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#59re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 1:56pm

May 15th.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#60re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 2:01pm

Ah, thanks Emcee. That is perfect, I'll be in the city at that exact time, so I can make sure I see all the nominees.

broadwayjim42
#61re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 2:05pm

Great to see John Gallagher get nominated, although I agree with many who thought it should have been in the featured category.

Also thrilled to see Company get five and especially happy about the orchestration nod. Raul was the initial calling card for me and I'm pretty sure he'll win (he better), but I really loved the way the music sounded. Not the greatest word to use to explain it, but I hope you get my drift.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#62re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 2:12pm

oh god the Legally Blonde backlash starts with all the kids on broadway world YAWN

The show is a lot of fun and thats all it was ever meant to be and it does it WELL so deserves all its nominations.

Lets not forget the fact the most musicals ,plays etc are based on something(book, film etcLike the much loved Spring Awakening ) so it really shouldn't make a difference thats its based on a film.

Shocked Spring Awakening did not get lighting (maybe they were drunk)

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Updated On: 4/26/07 at 02:12 PM

PersonofInterest Profile Photo
PersonofInterest
#63re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 2:24pm

Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical:
Brooks Ashmanskas, Martin Short: Fame Becomes Me

I just have to illuminate this to all of the haters who freaked out on me when I mentioned he would likely be nominated for the Tony. I know these nom's are not always the same, but he is getting the recognition he deserves.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#64re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 2:33pm

Wow, not much love for JOURNEY'S END. Very surprised at that. I agree with Wanna Be A Foster, I think Hugh Dancy should have gotten Spacey's spot. Dancy was brilliant but I found that Spacey hurt the production more than anything. He was completely hammy & too flamboyant.

Happy for the nomination for Raúl. Not a surprise, but I'm glad & hope he wins.

Linda Balgord?? I could hardly understand one word she said. I thought Hadley Fraser & the choreography were the only standouts in that show.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

sidjones09 Profile Photo
sidjones09
#65re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 2:40pm

"sidjones09, Stark Sands would have been considered Featured. I was referring to the Leading Actor in a Play category, for which Kevin Spacey was nominated and for which Hugh Dancy would have been eligible. Sands would not have been considered for that category."

My bad WannaBe.

"If you've got something to say, say it, and think well of yourself while you're learning to say it better." - David Mamet

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#66re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 2:45pm

I agree, though, that Sands deserves recognition. He makes a thrilling Broadway debut. I would love to see him recognized with a Tony nomination for Featured Actor. John Ahlin was the other standout for me in the Featured category. I hope these men are remembered come Tony nomination time.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#67re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 3:05pm

I really hope Gutenberg wins best book. The rest of the books are just so-so. Also, someone please explain to me how LoveMusik got a a choreography nomination over Pirate Queen!!! LoveMusik has like one dance number, and it's not even very good. The Pirate Queen has some terrific dancing (thought that's about it).

Revolutionary Profile Photo
Revolutionary
#68re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 3:16pm

I'm sad that Alexander G. didn't get a nom.

re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS

Oh well.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#69re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 3:20pm

I'm thrilled with all of the SA nods, especially Lea's considering her chances at the Tonys are slim. And add me to the group of people who are shocked over it not getting a Best Lighting nomination.

Oh, and the revival awards. Seriously, what is up? Les Miz over ACL? And The Apple Tree is in there? I thought it was a cute show, but not great.

I think it will be hilarious if Kristin doesn't win for Outstanding Actress, considering she's hosting. I don't think she deserves to win at all. I'm rooting for Lea.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#70re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 3:37pm

Not one nomination for A CHORUS LINE?

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#71re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 3:41pm

Wow, they must have really hated the Pirate Queen if they think Balgord was the only thing worthy of a mention. I thought at least the costumes were deserving.

PEACE.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#72re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 3:44pm

The ACL snub was suprising.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#73re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 3:47pm

I am so thrilled for LoveMusik getting the most nominations, and it deserves every one of them. I hope this translates into lots of wins, and of course Tony noms and wins as well.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#74re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 3:47pm

Now this is how it should be.