obsessedjb
#50re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:12pm

yay Raul!

LaCageAuxFollesFan Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan
#51re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:15pm

Well let's hope the Tonys are a bit kinder to shows that deserve more attention. More Curtains and LoveMusik love perfered! Espeically David Pittu, Lighting, & Costumes for LM!

VIETgrlTerifa
#52re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:17pm

Can you rank the Best Actress in a musical nominees? I'd love to see that played out.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

TommyTunesSon
#53re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:23pm

I completely agreed with all of the SPRING AWAKENING awards! So many of my first choices won! Esp. thrilled about Julie White! I think Spring Awakening is without a doubt the best musical of the season; I respect that others liked other shows more.

Question: is Jennifer Ehle going to be considered lead or featured/support for the tonys??

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#54re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:26pm

I believe Ehle is featured for the Tonys.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#55re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:39pm

Great presentation with terrific pics Munky.
I don't agree with all the Winners but thanks again for posting.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#56re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:41pm

Thanks for compiling, Munkustrap! One disadvantage shows like LoveMusik and Curtains have is that they haven't been open long enough for all of us to see them. If you count Coast of Utopia from the time that Part I opened, only 3 awards were given to shows that opened after January 1.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"
Updated On: 5/8/07 at 04:41 PM

FosseForever3 Profile Photo
FosseForever3
#57re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:41pm

I'm sooo glad Company beat out ACL.

"Now she wants to know WHY, if I'm so fabulous, I would WANT to take care of her child.....I answer with as much filigree and insouciance as I can muster, trying to slightly cock my head like Snow White listening to the animals. She, in turn, is aiming for more of a Diane-Sawyer-pose, looking for answers which will confirm that I am not there to steal her husband, jewelry, friends, or child. In that order." The Nanny Diaries

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#58re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:48pm

I didn't vote, so I'm not complaining per se.

BUT, I am wondering what kind of crack people were smoking when they chose Spring Awakening's lighting and ORCHESTRATIONS over Company's, and Michael Mayer over John Doyle.

Anyway, the munky awards are always fun. Love all the pictures.

TheHumanTorch Profile Photo
TheHumanTorch
#59re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 4:49pm

me too FosseForever

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#60re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:00pm

Here are the actual numbers for some major categories, since it seems to interest you guys:

BEST MUSICAL
Spring Awakening - 30
Grey Gardens - 24
Curtains - 7
Legally Blonde - 5
LoveMusik - 5

BEST PLAY
The Coast of Utopia - 34
Frost/Nixon - 10
The Little Dog Laughed - 9
Coram Boy - 6
Radio Golf - 6

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL
Company - 26
110 in the Shade - 24
A Chorus Line - 12
The Apple Tree - 4
Les Miserables - 1

BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY
Journey's End - 37
Inherit the Wind - 10
A Moon for the Misbegotten - 9
Translations - 5
Prelude to a Kiss - 1

BEST ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
Raul Esparza - 38
David Hyde Pierce - 15
Michael Cerveris - 7
Martin Short - 7
Gavin Lee - 2

BEST ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
Christine Ebersole - 45
Audra McDonald - 9
Laura Bell Bundy - 7
Kristin Chenoweth - 4
Donna Murphy - 4

BEST ACTOR IN A PLAY
Frank Langella - 33
Liev Schreiber - 13
Brian F. O'Byrne - 8
Christopher Plummer - 8
Michael Sheen - 1

BEST ACTRESS IN A PLAY
Julie White - 38
Eve Best - 11
Vanessa Redgrave - 8
Swoosie Kurtz - 4
Angela Lansbury - 4

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
John Gallagher Jr - 43
Jason Daniely - 14
Mark Kudisch - 5
Jason Tam - 5
David Pittu - 1

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
Mary Louise Wilson - 28
Karen Ziemba - 14
Heather Laws - 13
Orfeh - 10
Rebecca Luker - 4

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY
Billy Crudup - 31
Boyd Gaines - 11
Stark Sands - 8
John Mahoney - 6
Ethan Hawke - 5

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY
Jennifer Ehle - 21
Tonya Pinkins - 17
Xanthe Elbrick - 12
Jan Maxwell - 7
Martha Plimpton - 6

BEST SPECIAL THEATRICAL EVENT
Jay Johnson - 43
Kiki & Herb - 20

BEST DIRECTION OF A MUSICAL
Michael Mayer - 26
Michael Grief - 20
Jerry Mitchell - 11
John Doyle - 9
Harold Prince - 1

BEST DIRECTION OF A PLAY
Jack O'Brien - 42
Scott Ellis - 7
Melly Still - 7
Michael Grandage - 4
David Grindley - 4

BEST BOOK OF A MUSICAL
Grey Gardens - 27
Curtains - 20
Spring Awakening - 13
Martin Short - 6
LoveMusik - 3

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Spring Awakening - 36
Grey Gardens - 19
Curtains - 5
Martin Short - 5
Legally Blonde - 4

BEST ORCHESTRATIONS
Spring Awakening - 23
Company - 20
Grey Gardens - 12
LoveMusik - 7
Mary Poppins - 6

BEST CHOREOGRAPHY
Mary Poppins - 16
Legally Blonde - 13
Curtains - 10
The Pirate Queen - 10
Spring Awakening - 9

SCENIC/MUSICAL
Mary Poppins - 36
Grey Gardens - 11
Legally Blonde - 11
High Fidelity - 8
Curtains - 3

SCENIC/PLAY
The Coast of Utopia - 39
Coram Boy - 10
Journey's End - 7
Heartbreak House - 4
A Moon for the Misbegotten - 4

LIGHTING/MUSICAL
Spring Awakening - 44
Grey Gardens - 10
Mary Poppins - 8
LoveMusik - 7
Curtains - 0

LIGHTING/PLAY
The Coast of Utopia - 30
Coram Boy - 13
Journey's End - 11
Frost/Nixon - 7
Translations - 4

COSTUME/MUSICAL
Grey Gardens - 17
The Pirate Queen - 17
Curtains - 15
Mary Poppins - 14
Legally Blonde - 6

COSTUME/PLAY
The Coast of Utopia - 39
Coram Boy - 16
Translations - 4
Heartbreak House - 3
Journey's End - 2

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#61re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:02pm

Broadwaygirl, a lot of people feel as though Doyle did nothing new with Company since he did the same thing with Sweeney.

I am kinda bummed that Company beat out 110, but I am more upset that Poppins took choreography. That was my last choice in that category. Pirate Queen and Legally Blonde both deserved it more.

BSoBW2
#62re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:03pm

I don't think Pittu is necessarily deserving of an award for his role as Brecht.

I don't think anyone had a chance against SPRING AWAKENING and RAUL ESPARZA on BWW.

And if I had to pinpoint the biggest problem with SPRING AWAKENING it would be with Mayer's inconsistent direction.
Updated On: 5/8/07 at 05:03 PM

LaCageAuxFollesFan Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan
#63re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:06pm

Good Night! Thanks for posting those breakdowns Munk. Although now that Ive read them I wish I hadn't. Some folks that voted need to get out and see more than 3 shows this season. David Pittu dead last? I mean,its not the most brilliant performance ever created - but its certainly the best of that lot. Whew...I could go one with each category, but I wont. Thanks again though.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#64re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:08pm

"I don't think anyone had a chance against SPRING AWAKENING and RAUL ESPARZA on BWW."

So true.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#65re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:15pm

I'm not sure why people think Esparza has a huge fan base, especially one comparable to the hype that surrounds Spring Awakening. People like him because he does good work, but he really doesn't have a hardcore following comparable to other actors you'd probably think of when you consider that kind of thing.

I dunno, I think the lighting and directing love for Spring Awakening is fair, even though I don't agree with it, or the idea that Doyle is doing the "same thing" in Company that he did with Sweeney, because it's too surface of an analysis. The orchestrations, not so much. I really hope Mary-Mitchell wins a Tony for them.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/8/07 at 05:15 PM

husk_charmer
#66re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:21pm

I;m glad BWW is not indicitive of the Tonys and Drama Desks...I would be forced to bomb the Eugene O'Neil.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#67re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:22pm

Too much SA!

popculture37
#68re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:23pm

By my count, new musicals were eligible in 13 categories (best musical, 4 actors, director, score, book, orchestrations, choreography, lighting, scenic, and costume) and SA won, what, 6? That's not winning most of the awards, it's not even winning half, not to mention that it's only two more than GG got. The fact that arguably the most critically acclaimed production of the season won slightly more awards than any other musical is hardly evidence of a hostile takeover by dozens of squealing fangirls. Personally, I think 110 and Lovemusik were just as good if not better than SA and should have taken some awards, but I think it's a little silly to be shocked that lots of people voted for a show that's likely to win a heck of a lot more by the time the awards shows are over.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#69re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:23pm

I don't think SPRING AWAKENING should win score or musical, but I'm fine with Gallagher winning. I think that he's easily the best in the category, and I don't think that Pittu even deserves a nomination.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

C is for Company
#70re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:29pm

I agree with what Munk said, thanks for compiling your interesting annual awards ceremony!

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#71re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:30pm

Being an SA fan myself, I'm happy with these awards. And to those of you saying they won the most, they only beat Grey Gardens by two. SA did not win all of the "big musical" awards. Now people are going to attack me for being an SA fan, but whatever. I find the show to be really important and beautiful.

I just think there are going to be a ton of unhappy people this season. We all have such strong opinions about shows and they're not all going to win. Whatever happens, happens. There's nothing we can do about it but go and see our favorites to support them and keep them onstage.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#72re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:48pm

"I'm not sure why people think Esparza has a huge fan base"

I don't know if it's Esparza or John Doyle/Sweeney Todd that has the huge BWW fan interest, but I remember the craziness surrounding the waiting for the reviews for Company -- I don't remember such a flurry of activity about show reviews either before or since.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#73re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:57pm

BSoBW2, that's exactly what I thought as I was walking out of SA.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#74re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:59pm

The anxiety displayed here while waiting for those reviews was one of the weirdest things I've seen in my three plus years on this board. I am obviously very vocal about my support of Esparza, his work and the Company revival on the whole, but even I thought that was just insane. Some of it, to be honest, struck me a joke misinterpreted and turned into a bit of a competitive display out of some kind of need to prove that you were the most invested and more emotionally impacted than the next person... or something. I remember being asked like 45 times if I was okay; I was totally relaxed! I'm not saying I don't think he has a lot of BWW love or loyal fans -- I am one -- but I don't think it's an explosive, big fanbase that would denote saying something like "I don't think anyone else had a chance," in a set of fan-given awards. I'm not sure where people get the impression that it is, is all.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/8/07 at 05:59 PM