Hotel recommendations needed

AnnieMuzic
#1Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 4:52pm

My husband and I (we are in our late 30's) are coming to NYC for our yearly fix and looking for a hotel in the Bway area for 4 days during July. Ive been surfing online for hrs but am going nuts. We are looking to spend $200/$250-ish. My top 2 are contenders so far are Hotel QT and Wellington Hotel. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
#2re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 5:08pm

Paramount Hotel (46th & 8th) - it's GREAT!

"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller

diorrnottwarr
#2re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 5:14pm

I stayed at the Wellington sometime last January. It's not too bad for your standard NY hotel, they're pretty accommodating. If you can get it for 50$ a night, I'd say go for it. If I recall correctly its only 3 or so blocks from Times Square.

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#3re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 5:18pm

The Blakely. It's on 55th Street, across from the City Center. The rooms are great, with hard wood floors, LCD TV and marble baths. Abboccato, a really good modern Italian restaurant is on the first floor.

It's my favorite place to stay in the mid-level range.

http://blakelynewyork.com/

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#4re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 5:19pm

Quality Inn Times Square is nice.
As is the Milford Plaza!

re: Hotel recommendations needed

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#5re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 5:21pm

WJ is very nice even if the rooms are small and the staff is very good.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#6re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 5:33pm

Some of my personal favorites as of recently:

The Peninsula
W - Times Square
City Club Hotel
The Mercer
The Muse
Tribeca Grand Hotel
The Alex
Le Parker Meridien
The Shoreham
The Royalton
The Pierre
AKA-Central Park

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#7re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 5:34pm

I only ever stayed at one hotel in NYC...the Marriot Marquis, and it was lovely.

Though stay away from the Paramount hotel. It's small, dirty, and has a record of bed bugs. Do your research!

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#8re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 5:38pm

It's been a while since I stayed there, but I loved the Edison when I was on a group trip and we were there.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Hank
#9re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 6:43pm

The Edison!
Sad to say it's over $200 these days, but it's really a fun place, the coffee shop, piano bar, and Bobby the bell captain. Can't beat the location.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#10re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 6:44pm

Glad to know it's still nice. We LOVED it! The building across 47th wasn't there when I was. It was a big old hole in the ground with a fence around it.

I LOVED that place!!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

SondheimFan2
#11re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 9:56pm

the crowne plaza on broadway and 49th. i think it may be a little pricey, i don't remember what exactly we paid. but its in a GREAT location just across the street from a starbucks, and literally a 3 minute walk to marriot theater where TKTS is.

sarab Profile Photo
sarab
#12re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 10:07pm

Econo Lodge Times Square

Follow your bliss! I love Will Chase! I love Lisa Brescia! I love Stephanie J. Block!

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#13re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 10:08pm

The Belvedere. It's two blocks from Times Square are West 48th street. Not too pricey! I always go there!

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#14re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/20/07 at 10:36pm

First, check www.travelzoo.com
They have specials and that time is considered "low season".

Second, I have stayed at Hotel QT (twice) and it's pretty "hip". The rooms aren't huge but they are immaculate, funtional and have everything you need. Wireless internet is included if you bring your laptop. The breakfast is very nice and included in the price, bagels, juice, fruit, coffee, yogert, etc. They have a pool and in the evenings it is part of the bar and people splashing around. It really is fun. They charge more for two people than one so I just say one person when I make the reservation and they have never challenged me when I check in.

Third, don't forget to check www.tripadvisor.com so see what others have said about the hotel you are interested.

I hope this helps.

AnnieMuzic
#15re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/21/07 at 9:05pm

Thanks everyone for your help! I think we have it narrowed down. Some of the hotels that were mentioned didnt have rooms for the dates I needed and a couple of other were a little more than I wanted to spend. So far its,
Quality Hotel Times Square
Wellington Hotel
Belvedere
Milford Plaza
and in the lead is Hotel QT
I dont know what Im having such a hard time with this but thank you so much for all your help.

Eos Profile Photo
Eos
#16re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/21/07 at 9:58pm

Here's another vote for the Edison - it's got a great 24hr. deli 2 doors down! I've stayed at QT as well, and it's not bad either. Try calling them directly for the best deal.

The Overture is part of the show, people. Please shut your pie hole.

bwayaddict Profile Photo
bwayaddict
#17re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/21/07 at 10:37pm

Another suggestion is to book a concellable reservation and then try priceline. That's what I always do and I have had great luck with priceline and hotels. You don't need a 3 or 4 star. Now that room prices have gone up I usually put in for a 2 or 2.5 star in the east or south and almost always get something for around $100 a night and that's for two people. Have never had a bad experience!

"The more I traveled the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends." - Shirley MacLaine

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#18re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/21/07 at 10:56pm

The Waldorf-Astoria is a beautiful hotel. When you enter the the hotel off of Park Avenue, you're immediately transported to Fred & Ginger Land...a la the incredible Art Deco features of the hotel.

In all my years of going to NYC 3-4 times a year, I used to stay at The Plaza. But, now that's it's closed, I'm staying at The Waldorf. It's amazing!

The location of TWA is fantastic...right in the heart of mid-town and just a few blocks from entering the theatre district!

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#19re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/21/07 at 11:02pm

hilton times square is cheap, but pretty nice. i stayed there in feb. and i liked it. of course the marriot marquis is amazing....but its very expensive ; )

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

stonewall2
#20re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/21/07 at 11:25pm

Have you looked into the Doubletree Times Square? Can't beat the location, close to all the theatres and walking distance to 5th Ave and up to the park; super safe with lobby on the 3rd floor and NO ONE gets past the large guys at the street level desk unless you have a reservation or a room key (not even my pre-teen son!). The rooms are nice, all suites with a micowave and small fridge and it's also amazingly quiet. Great deals to be had, especially if you are a member of the Hilton Club, which you can join on line. One tip- make sure you have your confirmation number handy when you check in as I have had some trouble with front desk clerks who try to run your credit card even though you've paid your deposit and they suddenly "can't find a record of it". A simple, "Please ask the manager to step out" solves it neatly!

"I'm mad, you're mad. we're all mad"... The Cheshire Cat

kyguy78 Profile Photo
kyguy78
#21re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/22/07 at 12:07am

My wife and I stayed at the Milford Plaza last April when we were there and thought it was more than suitable for our needs. We're talking about going back later this summer and we'll probably stay there again.

CaTheatreGirl Profile Photo
CaTheatreGirl
#22re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/22/07 at 1:12am

My friends and I have often stayed at the Milford Plaza. Not fancy, but the right price and convenient. We book through Expedia.com. This week I was trying to make reservations for three friends going to NY in June. Outrageously high prices. Nothing available at the Milford Plaza. Tried Edison, but nothing for one of the days of their visit. I saw this site: HotelConXions.com and got a great rate for a triple for them. Phew! Maybe you can find lodging at a reasonable rate on the site, too.

circusliz Profile Photo
circusliz
#23re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/22/07 at 9:45am

I like the Herald Square Hotel. A little ways off of the theater district, but I find it's nice to be away from the crowds.

On the road of life, do not pause for suicidal chipmunks who freeze in your headlights, seeking death by your tires...

craig238
#24re: Hotel recommendations needed
Posted: 5/22/07 at 9:59am

HAMPTON on 51st/8th. Great service, large rooms, FREE breakfast,
and 24hr. tea/hot chocolate/coffee in lobby as well as fresh home made cookies and apples @ 3pm everyday in lobby.