News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?

7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#17/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 1:52pm

With Lupone, Ebersole, and MacDonald (as well as Disney's Belle)all closing on 7/29, what are we going to about the diva shortage?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 3:00pm

Charlotte will still be in A Chorus Line, I think.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

broadwayguy2
#2re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 3:05pm

The thread is about DIVAS.. NOT disgraces.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 3:07pm

What are you talking about? Laura Bell Bundy is diva enough for Broadway fo' sho'!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#4re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 3:19pm

Oh, cheer up, people! We've still got Julia Murney, if she qualifies, and do you really think it'll be that long till Patti and Audra are back on the scene?

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#5re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 3:20pm

No more divas are being created. Production stopped after Audra McDonald. Broadway will be diva-less for a while. Broadway producers are no longer interested in creating divas-they want generic plug-ins for their musicals.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#6re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 3:22pm

-Charlotte D

-Jennifer Hope Wills

-Fantasia

-Kerry Butler

-Tamyra Gray

-Megan Mullaly(sp?)

-Claire Danes

-Lea Salonga

-Marin Mazzie

Maybe not all of them are divas, but they are female Broadway/Hollywood/TV stars, that deserved to be mentioned.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 7/23/07 at 03:22 PM

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#7re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 3:22pm

I concur with previous statements. It's going to be such a boring season without the divas! I will eagerly await their return to the Great White Way but until then...who knows?

Oh and to those who think Sutton and the rest qualify as 'divas' please refer to Bettboy's post.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#8re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 3:31pm

Well, maybe Patti will be coming back. re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#9re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 3:32pm

Muscle, the only divas on your list are Mazzie and Salonga.

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#10re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 3:33pm

I think we should all run into the streets Sunday night and yell "PATTI!" a la "STELLA!" in A Streetcar named Desire.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#11re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 3:33pm

Well, perhaps Sutton Foster is a diva-in-training, but none of the other names mentioned qualify to join the club. Mullally may have the stuff, but she doesn't have the body of work.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

COOOOLkid
#12re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 3:47pm

I'm not sure if I think of Lea Salonga as a diva... I don't know why. I mean, she's well-respected and famous, but I don't know... And Patti can step easily and crush Marin Mazzie.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#13re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 5:26pm

And Patti can step easily and crush Marin Mazzie

That is too funny for words. I've wondered about something. What would happen if by some cosmic collision.. that Madame LuPone and ALW suddenly found themselves in the same restaurant / room? I shudder at the thought. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#14re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 6:27pm

Don't forget Laura Bell Bundy. :)

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#15re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 6:40pm

Hopefully, they'll be back soon...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

Heybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
#16re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 6:59pm

Faith Prince is returning soon.

#18re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 7:06pm

this is gonna be a big diva weekend.....GREY GARDENS on friday, Julie brown on saturday, GYPSY on sunday....

....& then i will be left alone with the emptiness that is my life.....

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#19re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 10:12pm

Thank God I get to see all them this weekend!(!!!!!!!)

But really, it's a tragedy. re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

sweeneynut Profile Photo
sweeneynut
#20re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 10:55pm

Hold on, could someone explain something to me? Gypsy, 110, and Grey Gardens are all slated to close on 7/29, correct? And, if Telecharge and City Center are correct, isn't it impossible to see all of them in the same day, like many people are saying they are? Or am I just missing something? Gypsy's show is at 7pm, 110 is at 2pm, and GG is at 3pm. I haven't seen Gypsy or 110, but I know 110 is about 2 and-a-half hours long, so...could someone please explain? I'm very confused. (Yes, I know that some people are saying weekend, which is different, and all three can be seen in a weekend, but I've seen some posters saying they're seening all of them in the same day.)

"My muffin top is all that/whole grain and low-fat/I know you want a piece of that/But I just wanna dance!"

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#21re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/23/07 at 11:05pm

DIVAs in training:

Lea Michelle
(just ask her co-actors)
Laura Bell Bundy
(she's been training for quite a while)
Ashley Brown
(give her a chance, she could Diva out at any moment)
That Little MERMAID fish
( I hear she has a reputation already)
Sherie Renee
(In a good way, of course)
Leslie Kritzner:
(you go Bitch)
etc. etc. etc.

RentBoy86
#22re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 12:26am

I could def. see Leslie Kritzer diva-fying. She has the voice and the talent to back it up. The rest of them seem just like pretty faces. I'd love to see Ashely Brown do something really edgy/risque and really belt it. And I haven't heard the Lea Michelle rumors?

iliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
#23re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 12:42am

Thinking about this weekend makes me more sad than anyone can ever understand (well, maybe not with this crowd re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town? ). Losing CE, PL, & AM all at once is terrible, especially b/c of the three of them, I can only imagine Patti coming back anytime soon.
Ebersole is taking a break (I'm not making this up, it came right out of her mouth) & Audra's got her new TV show, which will surely be successful for a little bit... and she is going to be in an opera at the met, right? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

On the record: love all of the divas in the making (or at least most), but I'm still sad.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#24re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 12:49am

"That Little MERMAID fish
( I hear she has a reputation already)"
You mean Sierra Boggess?

RentBoy86
#25re: 7/29 - Divas Clearing Out of Town?
Posted: 7/24/07 at 1:04am

Is she bitching about being underpaid?

Videos