pixeltracker

Disappointed with Young Frankenstein

Disappointed with Young Frankenstein

MrDoug
#1Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 7:55pm

I saw Young Frankenstein on Broadway recently and was very disappointed. Most of the disappointment lies in the fact that I felt that they didn't do much with the story that the movie didn't do in 1970's. When the Producers were brought to Broadway, essentially a topic that made people upset, Nazi Germany, was turned into something that could be laughed with, and people from Tel Aviv to Toronto have been laughing. With Young Frankenstein, the jokes were the same as the movie; cued at the same time as the movie; and I felt that the songs were just missing depth. The dancing is very good, but outside of that, I found much of it to be quite disappointing. I'm sorry if anyone thinks I don't know what I'm talking about, but I am just telling my honest thoughts.
J.C., as your #1 fan, you will always be 24601 in my heart...

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 7:59pm

You do know that "Springtime For Hitler" was in the original movie, too, right?

MargoChanning
#2re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 8:16pm

And 80% of the dialogue from the film is in the stage version of THE PRODUCERS (the opening scene is virtually word-for-word with exactly all the same jokes).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

MuseOfVideoGames
#3re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 8:24pm

Regardless of how many facts MrDoug has right or wrong about the translation of the Producers from screen to stage, I agree that the stage show transcended and improved upon the film in ways that Young Frankenstein fails miserably to do. Whereas the Producers felt like a new show, even with so much of the material being taken straight from the movie, Young Frankenstein feels like a pointless replication of a much better movie, not unlike showings of Rocky Horror where there are actors standing in front of the movie screen playing the exact same scenes that are happening behind them, but not nearly as well as Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon, etc. My only point of disagreement with MrDoug is that he liked the choreography, and I thought it was Stro's most uninspired work by far.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#4re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 8:26pm

True -- but "Springtime for Hitler," the climax of "The Producers," was largely reformated for the stage. The equivalent in "Young Frankenstein," which would be the "Puttin' on the Ritz" scene, was not.

And when you're building, building to a moment that's just another gag most people have already seen before, it doesn't have the same payoff. Not that this is the only problem with the show. But it's a big one.

Dollypop
#5re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 8:43pm

It seems that there are plenty of people who agree with MrDoug. NEW YORK magazine ran an item that there are more than just a few empty seats at the previews, indicating that crowds aren't exactly flocking to see this one.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

MuseOfVideoGames
#6re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 8:59pm

Of course, that could also have something to do with the fact that if you go to Ticketmaster and ask for a regular ($100+) seat, you're told it's sold out. If you ask for a premium seat ($275-$350 depending on the perf), you're given options at the back of the house. Only if you choose premiere seats ($450 on weekends!) do you get front orchestra, and even then, they're rarely center.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#7re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 9:04pm

I saw YF last night and thought it was dreadful. You have the most incredible people but there with the worst material. Nothing memorable. It looked like stro threw in some kicks and turns. There is one song which totally sounded and looked like "toledo suprise" from drowsy. The audience around me were silent... the man next to me was snoring. Polite applause and polite laughter. and i was so excited for this too. I was really bored. I am not saying this to be mean but, I really don't have anything decent to say other then the performers did what they could. They all worked so hard... they deserve more.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#8re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 10:37pm

"It looked like stro threw in some kicks and turns."

Don't you mean Two-three-kick-turn! Turn-turn-kick-turn! re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein

JKlock Profile Photo
JKlock
#9re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 10:46pm

"oh roger!"

http://two-sails.blogspot.com/

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#10re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 10:46pm

I haven't seen Young Frankenstein and wouldn't be surprised if it bombs. I just feel like MrDoug severely misunderstood The Producers.

I also confess I'm not sure who JC is. I want to say the Messiah, but that doesn't seem right.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#11re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 10:57pm

I don't think it will bomb, but it will have a long way to go to recoup that $20 million. But Mel is working the promo route very well with using talk shows and morning tv to promote, much the way he did with The Producers. There are articles in many of the suburban newspapers and other publications. It may not get critical acclaim, but the public will go to see it because it is based on a familiar source and people want to see that on today's Broadway stages. I don't think this show will match the first year of the Producers or Wicked for sellout performances or even come close, but it is what it is and if you don't compare it too much with The Producers, you can enjoy it.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

#12re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 11:03pm

^
also if you dont compare it too much to the source material.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#13re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 11:04pm

Seriously. Who is JC?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#14re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 11:07pm

Johnny Carson?

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#15re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 11:08pm

Even when you're not comparing it to anything (the movie, The Producers), I'd say it's pretty bad. I did not enjoy it at all. I can't see it doing well, either, especially after the reviews come out (which I am expecting to be pretty negative). And honestly, I really hate to say this about a show, but I wouldn't be disappointed if it bombs. I feel bad for the talented people involved in it who could be working with much better material.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#16re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 11:20pm

The general public may eat this up but the reviews will be mixed to say the least and I did not see 20 million up on that stage.
I thought it was drek.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#17re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/30/07 at 11:42pm

One thing I can't understand is why this production costs $20 mil? My understanding is that the Producers cost $10 mil and you had two stars above title supposedly making $100K per week. I'm going to guess that Megan and Andrea Martin make the most $ out of this cast, but it can't be that much. Although the sets for the Producers were a bit more modest than YF, it seemed like there were more people in the cast. Now I know costs have increased in the past 6 years, but $10 mil worth?

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

#18re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/31/07 at 1:44am

Jack Clompass?

jagfkb
#19re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/31/07 at 6:23am

Seriously, am I the only prson who loved this show?

Dreams595
#20re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/31/07 at 10:12am

I love it too. I saw it twice in Seattle and both audiences seemed to love it based on their reactions throughout the entire show. I also have tickets to see it on Broadway in December and March. Regardless of what others are saying a lot of people are enjoying the show and I wish the production the best of luck.

vinnylin Profile Photo
vinnylin
#21re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/31/07 at 12:54pm

I suspect not really the point of the thread, but,
J.C. Sheets, perhaps?

"This is wanting something, this is reaching for it, This is wishing that a moment would arrive. This is taking chances, this is almost touching, what the beauty is." --The Light in the Piazza

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#22re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/31/07 at 1:58pm

I enjoyed Young Frankenstein much more that the producers. The score is quite good, the book very tight, Stroman's Direction and Choreography some of her best, and the performances top notch.

Martin and Fitzgerald deserve Tony's. Especially Fitzgerald, who probably has the biggest shoes to fill.

One NYC StageHand
#23re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/31/07 at 5:11pm

FYI, we lost JC Sheets suddenly in Feb of this year. JC, we miss you.

As far as YF is concerned, the rhetorical question I have is this. If the League proposals had been put into place for this show, i.e., cutting the wages of the guy that mops the stage, hiring the load-in crew on a day-to-day basis, dropping out of the Writers Guild to keep from ponying up the fair share of the royalities( wait, that last one wasn't the stagehands), if all these reductions had been put into place, would it have been a better show? Cutting 38 per cent out of the 7 per cent of the total ticket price that makes up the labor, would this have made it a better theatrical event?
What Sillerman of Clear Channel fails to understand is that Max Bailystock was NOT supposed to be a role model.
If investors want to reduce their risk and improve on their average 40 per cent return on their money, pick better shows.

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#24re: Disappointed with Young Frankenstein
Posted: 10/31/07 at 5:37pm

Jack, I told you to ship those raincoats!

Videos