Live animals on stage

chad2 Profile Photo
chad2
#1Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 1:23pm

Besides Jesus and his feathered and fur friends..what other shows have creatures that steal the show?

Legally Blonde
Annie
Cats

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#2re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 1:24pm

Gypsy

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 1:31pm

Baldwin-Wallace's Phantom of the Opera. :)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

MargoChanning
#3re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 1:32pm

What about the camels at Radio City and the horses at the Met?

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#4re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 1:37pm

Doves, 20 of them in 'Beyond The Rainbow' -a musical of the 2nd flood! (West End). Half of them never being recoverd ready for the next performance. Theatre was a bit of a mess by the time the show closed. (a short run!)

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

fakemyway2thetop
#5re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 1:42pm

I thought the animal act in The Will Rogers Follies the best part of the show.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#6re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 1:49pm

Film not stage, but in Midlers 'Gypsy' poor old Chowsey gets thrown back and forth from one arm to the other in the opening with Uncle Jocko! i sat there open mouthed at such incredibly bad continuity! Very fun when you see it!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 11/16/07 at 01:49 PM

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#7re: Live animals on stage

Chitty in london had some dogs that were adorable.

and in Xanadu, well, Cheyanne is those short shorts stole the show for me, lol.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

ActualReality2 Profile Photo
ActualReality2
#8re: Live animals on stage

During Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's run they used tons of dogs during the scene at the factory, after Toot Sweets :)

There is only one you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself. -Anthony Rapp-

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#9re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 1:57pm

I believe they used Deer in a community theatre production of Troilius and Catiesus in Alabama.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 11/16/07 at 01:57 PM

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#10re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 2:03pm

I was in a community theatre production of Seussical once and we had a llama in the Circus McGurkus scene. The best part was when it would go to the bathroom on stage...not.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#11re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 2:50pm

SUGAR BABIES and the original production of NINE both had doves.

chad2 Profile Photo
chad2
#12re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 2:53pm

How about any fish? I want to see jaws with a live shark!

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#13re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 3:15pm

There was a trained white rat in THE WOMAN IN WHITE.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

musicandtemiror
#14re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 3:20pm

There is a theater in Lancaster PA called Sight and Sound.
Its a circular stage (so the walls of the theater open up and their is really 3 stages one in the middle and two on the right and left) but they do religious shows and have a ton of animals.
Quite amazing
(besides the pre-recorded music)

AbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
#15re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 5:43pm

this isn't bway but it's theatre nonetheless.
when my school did "oliver twist", we had a parakeet in a cage hanging form the ceiling in fagan's den.
that little bird sang more than anyone else on stage haha

we had at least 4 people come up to the directer asking if they could adopt the bird after the show was over. i think it ended up going home with one of the cast members.

Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK

MikeMagbaleta Profile Photo
MikeMagbaleta
#16re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 7:14pm

Have there ever been any other types of animals besides dogs onstage ever? For me, I'd hope for a musical that features koalas.....

AngryDeer Profile Photo
AngryDeer
#17re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 7:43pm

"I believe they used Deer in a community theatre production of Troilius and Catiesus in Alabama."

Were they hit by a car?

I'm available, if anyone can you a big Buck.

And I won't crap on stage!

"This thread has just crossed over to BEST THREAD OF THE DAY land. It might have won the BEST THREAD OF THE WEEK award, were it not for stupid deer."
RobbieJ

"This is almost as good as the deer thread.
BillyGoatGirl300

"Ugly people shouldn't mate"
AngryDeer

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#18re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 7:51pm

don't trust AngryDeer guys, he has his own agenda.

....but the world goes 'round

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#19re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 8:00pm

Taz is right. AngryDeer is out to avenge the death of Carol.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

Discogaud
#20re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/16/07 at 11:43pm

Do they have people that watch over animals in productions? Y'know, like humane societies check out major film productions to make sure no animals are hurt. I wonder how well the animal trainers are paid, too. They're there every night. Do they have a union? What's the pay scale?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#21re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/17/07 at 12:08am

I think that they use animal trainers who work in this sort of thing.

The people who train dogs for the shows are people who make a living out of doing that.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

chad2 Profile Photo
chad2
#22re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/17/07 at 1:23am

(CBS) In the rough and tumble dog-eat-dog-world of Broadway, there is an agent/manager/personal trainer with more clients seen by more people than any one man.

"All the clients I work with take direction well and don't argue," says Bill Berloni, who adds that in his management stable, there are "No divas."

Berloni represents about 700 animals, 30 of whom live with him. Each a star and each with a rags-to-riches story worthy of Broadway, reports CBS News correspondent Richard Schlesinger.

"Anybody could have walked into the shelter they were in and adopted them, but nobody chose to," Berloni says of his animal clients. "Many of them were going to be put to sleep."

Instead a pack of Berloni dogs were put to work in Broadway productions like "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang."

They had to hit their marks and make their entrances just like their two legged costars.

"The animals make less mistakes than the humans," Berloni says.

Among Berloni's housemates: Two Sandys from "Annie" and four Totos in total.

Berloni admits that the situation for him and the animals is a win-win situation. "I mean, each one of them coming into my life has brought me something, taught me something," Berloni says.

And they have made him quite comfortable as one of Broadway's go-to people for animals. Berloni trains and represents anything with fur or feathers or scales. A Berloni client does not have to be cute or cuddly.

For instance, Beatrice the rat is one of the stars in "Woman in White." Berloni trained her to run all over actor Michael Ball, who rehearses with her off-stage before donning his fat suit and makeup for their star turn on-stage.

"When I saw the affect that it had on the audience, I though I want a bit of that," Ball says. "I love the, you know, we all love the attention and she steals the show completely."

Managing stars is always difficult. Berloni has to keep the rat away from the cat and the cat away from the bird. They are all part of his stable of stars along with the horses and the llamas, who live happily, if not quietly, waiting for their next gig.

Mattbrain
#23re: Live animals on stage
Posted: 11/17/07 at 11:17am

Don't forget the penguin in The Man Who Came to Dinner with Nathan Lane.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."