pixeltracker

what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?- Page 2

what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#25re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/25/07 at 10:18pm

A friend of mine that worked in the 30th anniversary tour of Hello Dolly with Carol Channing. they said that Carol one night had a bad case of diarrhea. since she is well known for never missing a performance she refused to let the stand by go on for her. So she had them wrap her up with some sort of saran wrap so she could make it threw the whole show without having to go to the bathroom. sounds crazy i know! but they claim to this day that the story is true.

Updated On: 11/25/07 at 10:18 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#26re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/25/07 at 10:33pm

I can believe that story because I heard a similar one about Carol Channing and Depends.

Anyway, there is such a thing as having an emergency even though an actor may have used the bathroom before the show. We all have them from time to time. I think it's a valid question.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

SweetQintheLights
#27re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/25/07 at 10:37pm

Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now!

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

Pascal/Menzel/Bundy Profile Photo
Pascal/Menzel/Bundy
#28re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/25/07 at 10:44pm

This is one seriously entertaining thread.

"It means nothing to come and sit in a theater night after night and immerse yourself in fantasy, only then to walk out the door and be unchanged in reality. This show will live on in our hearts. But where it truly must survive is in our actions, our compassion and our generousity of spirit towards one another." - Adam Pascal on the closing of RENT

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#29re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/25/07 at 10:54pm

Broadway actors don't go to the bathroom; they are inhuman.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#30re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/25/07 at 11:47pm

I'd imagine it's much like being a teacher ~ your bladder learns the schedule and generally operates around it.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#31re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 12:05am

Yes, Taz, but they're working on it. We should hear any minute now.

Miss Pennywise, I believe the League's solution has something to do with empty mayonnaise jars. They so far have refused to issue another mop up call for such "accidents".

This of course can also be covered by understudies but that too might require additional fees to be charged so they are still holding out for the "jars".

They had a joke about that in The Drowsy Chaperone remember? It has no intermission. One time a prop was malfunctioning so Jonathan Crombie had to leave the stage stating he needed to go back off stage because he was afraid, he forgot to flush the toilet! Yikes! As sinful as leaving up the toilet seat! I was so happy to read how thoughtful and creative he was in a pinch. re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?

mauriposa
LI Larry Profile Photo
LI Larry
#33re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 12:15am

I'm a teacher and for some of the teachers in the lower grades, they have to hold it for over 3 hours if they have an early prep period and an early lunch. But in an emergency, they can call someone. Of course, broadway actors can't do that. Although it would be really funny if just once they stopped the show so they could use the bathroom. But I imagine they just hold it. Once you are in performing mode, you just don't think about it.

henryt
#34re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 1:30am

I think school bathrooms are disgusting, so I hold it for 7 hours every day!

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#35re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 4:07am

On the MTV airing of Legally Blonde, Laura Bell Bundy discussed her endeavors with toilets during the course of the show.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#36re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 6:10am

LI Larry ~ Yeah. That's about the long and short of it. Sadly our "Lead Teacher" didn't get the memo that we CAN call her to come in and she rarely will because she doesn't want our AP getting mad at us. We're all like "If it's an emergency, it's an emergency." AARGH!!!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#37re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 6:17am

When I did Grand Hotel in Seattle, most of us were onstage for the 2 hours straight (no intermission).

I always felt fine until the charleston number. lol

kooky
#39re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 8:49am

I am totally enthralled by this thread . . . . . .

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#40re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 9:03am

I don't recall it ever being a problem when I was on stage. There was usually time off stage where a bathroom break could be worked in, if needed. Not always though, but as others have said, "Your mind is on other things."

I do remember the the one that freaked me out the most was when I played the Tinman in The Wizard of Oz. Once I was wired into that costume, there was no going back. I usually waited until the Munchkinland scene was well under way, before I was helped into it. The barrel part around the chest didn't allow for my legs to bend beyond a certain point (just like in the movie), so there was NO sitting down. So, not only couldn't I "go" but I couldn't even sit during intermission (which was my only time off stage, once I made my entrance).

I don't remember ever having to "go," though. I would get out on the stage and roast in my costume, under those hot lights. I usually lost around 8 pounds every performance. Just water weight, but I would have to drink gallons of water AFTER every show to make up for it. It was like a 2 hour sauna. But I don't think there was any water left inside me to "relieve" while the show was on, anyway.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

theminutepast
#41re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 9:28am

I would disagree with the people who said that actors are like the audience--don't drink anything during and go before. When you are singing for two hours or more, you have to drink water during the time off stage to prevent voice burnout.

husk_charmer
#42re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 9:47am

Wasn't there one night that Shoshana ran off early during Popular so she could get sick, and had her u/s or s/b come on afterwards?

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#43re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 9:55am

In Broadway.com's video clip of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" backstage, Greg Jbara admitted using the sink in his dressing room. He said it came in handy 'for those with the right plumbing'.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Updated On: 11/26/07 at 09:55 AM

AngActing Profile Photo
AngActing
#44re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:06am

I'm not yet a Broadway star . . . but have been in tons of shows. Basically, for me, I ALWAYS have to pee right before I go on, because that's how my nerves show up [even if I just peed]. Anywho, once I am on stage, that goes away for the time.

Then, sometimes, yeah, we sneak it in (if we have to go badly) during intermission, a scene change or anytime we are off-stage long enough (or we hurry).

On Broadway, if you're in elaborate costumes, I will assume -- that is what "dressers" are for . . .getting you in and out and back into costumes for any and every type of reasons. Thus, if an actor has a huge need to go -- I am sure the dresser is nearby to help one out of the costume and to re-dress the actor when the deed is done.

Love and Stage Lights, Angela Theresa

HughE2030 Profile Photo
HughE2030
#45re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 11:02am

Barbara Walters recently said the key to her success is that she doesn't sweat, nor pee for up to 12 hours. (Such a class act - LOL)

www.ConfessionsofaPaparazzi.com

Christopher_Acts Profile Photo
Christopher_Acts
#46re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 4:19pm

Okay,

So I played Tom Daley in "That Championship Season"

For those not familiar with the show or character, a 37-year-old alcoholic racist.

Tom's drink of choice was Scotch and Water with no ice.

Because we performed the show in a Studio Theatre, they filled my bottle of Dewars with watered down Iced Tea, and my director wanted me to pour a drink and actually drink it.

I never poured a full glass, but by the end of act one, I made the bold acting choice of going through the entire fifth of watered down Iced Tea.

The only time Tom was off stage was for 3 minutes during the first act (1st pee break) and intermission (2nd pee break).

Mind you, during intermission, I would pee about 3 times. I made sure that stage management understood the amount of liquid I was drinking and the affect it had on me.

Second Act, Final Dress, I couldn't hold it any longer. I started sitting weird. Maybe if I started walking around. Nope.

I started to think of the lines, when I could make my exit and not sabotage the story. I said my line (some blow off to a fight) and made a creative cross to the Stage Left exit, completely in character. Left, did my business, came back on without missing a beat.

I seriously thought my director was going to shoot me. My note that night was "I started to write down WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU DOING...but then I realized...you had to go. Don't even let that happen again."

My pre-show ritual from that night on, was to eat 6 pieces of wheat bread before each show, to soak up all of the liquid that would be in my stomach, and I never had the same problem again.

Best of all.

Final dress was the night we recorded for our library.

My creative cross to relieve myself is forever immortalized.

socialsecurity
#47re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:28pm

i usually go the unisex bathroom off stage or up to the dressing room, unzipper my fly and go.......if there is another way, please let me know

SweetQintheLights
#48re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:42pm

" The barrel part around the chest didn't allow for my legs to bend beyond a certain point (just like in the movie), so there was NO sitting down."

Am I missing something?
Aren't you a male?
Do you usually urinate sitting?

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

stanton
#50re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/26/07 at 11:32pm

No but Sean COmbs acting was ****. Maybe that is what you herd?

I wish I could sing.

Shakespearean Profile Photo
Shakespearean
#49re: what do bway actors do whent hey need to go to the bathroom?
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:57pm

Um, gloves, saber belt, sash, nine buttons on a frock coat, nine buttons on a vest, four wooden trouser buttons and suspenders... no such thing as a quick trip to the bathroom... thank God for Immodium.

Someone once pointed out that some of the Pope's robes have 50 tiny buttons and suggested a chamberlain just slipped a pail under the hem...

Echo: Best. Thread. Ever.