pixeltracker

Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway- Page 4

Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#75re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 2/15/08 at 12:20am

VOTE The Musical. Though I hear there is some interest in taking it to Broadway...has it even been performed professionally?

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#76re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 2/15/08 at 3:34pm

I'm glad to see that someone else mentioned "Say Hello to Harvey". I'd forgotten all about it. I also have no idea what the book was like (except that they updated it and had it happen in the present, late 1970's at any rate). I half of the score is terrific and half of it is pure crap. It does have a terrific, show-stopper comedy song for the sister called "Lousy Life" that she sings upon getting home after being mistaked for a patient at the sanitarium. Possibly the song isn't as terrific as I think it is, it could just be that Patricia Routledge did a killer job with it. I'd be interested (if I ever became a millionaire) in reviving it, if I could get Leslie Bricusse to re-write half of it. (And, from what I heard about what went on during "Dr. Doolittle", he wouldn't want to re-write.) He went on to re-write the song and give it to the character of Sherlock Holmes' housekeeper in this musical "Sherlock Holmes".

I don't know how well "Reefer Madness" would do on Broadway. Yes, it would have a young fan base, but the older playgoer might not like it. I saw a first-rate, college production of it and it felt very long. That's a problem with doing a musical version of a cult classic. Every little moment ("Why isn't your baby crying?") gets turned into a song, which leads to a very long evening. It would have done better as a ninety minute, one act.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

sparkleplenty
#77re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 2/15/08 at 7:03pm

I saw Sayonara (in Glendale, California!) and Paper Moon in Washington D.C. and thought both were quite entertaining. Sorry neither made it.
I've also mentioned before at BWW the first show I ever saw - the musical version of Picnic - Hot September. I loved it, but then i had never seen a show before. Maybe it wasnt' any good, but I certainly enjoyed it. Anybody else see it?

Flaunt It
#78re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 2/16/08 at 6:55am

That is too bad about HONK! Didn't it beat out LION KING and MAMMA MIA for the Olivier Award fr Best New Musical?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#79re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 2/16/08 at 4:11pm

A Mothers Kisses
W.C.
Witches Of Eastwick
Nosferatu
Isabel's A Jezebel
Gone With The Wind

Poster Emeritus

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#80re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 2/16/08 at 4:23pm

Strouse's Bojangles was most enjoyable when it did its world premiere in Virginia at the old Barksdale Theater a long while back. I think I saw it for or 5 times during its run.

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#81re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 2/16/08 at 5:54pm

A New Brain
Bare
Bat Boy
The Last 5 Years

follies85
#82re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 2/17/08 at 12:20pm

I'll have to go with Prettybelle. I'ts amazing on record.

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#83re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 2/17/08 at 3:53pm

Whistle Down the Wind.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#84re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/18/16 at 2:26pm

Prettybelle's material is very disturbing - I don't see it sitting well with the 2016 audience. I add my voice to Bare - saw a regional production last year and the show is explosive! Can really see it being commercially viable, and if not - perhaps at least a Deaf West production?

Kinda funny to see Sister Act being mentioned here, knowing how successful it ended up being :)

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

theatreguy12
#85re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/18/16 at 2:52pm

I saw one called Busker Alley with Tommy Tune back in 1995.  I remember it being pretty good.  Hit some snags along the way though and sort of died on the vine, I guess.

Sondheim_Disney1595
#86re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/18/16 at 6:18pm

I always wished that Minsky's would find it's way here one day

Alessio2
#87re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/18/16 at 7:14pm

saw a fantastic production of Harmony at Ahmanson a couple of years ago that I was sure was gonna go to Broadway, it was so good. Was also surprised that Hunchback didn't transfer. Saw it in LaJolla and thought was amazing

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#88re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/19/16 at 1:52pm

ANNIE GET YOUR GUN directed by Gower Champion (it surpassed the last revival by miles)

LITTLE DANCER (loved the opening number)

CHAPLIN (the Anthony Newley version)

COLLETTE

JEKYLL AND HYDE (the full production that played Seattle before it was pared down to Broadway's chamber musical version)

Shows that didn't make it for good reasons IMO:

SAYONARA

LITTLE PRINCESS

GONE WITH THE WIND (though I do like some of Harold Rome's score)

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#89re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/19/16 at 2:14pm

Ernest in Love

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#90re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/19/16 at 3:12pm

Zorro

Lord of the Rings

Windy City

The Hired Man

The Baker's Wife

Spend Spend Spend

The Fix

Jerry Springer: The Opera

London Road

Mrs. Henderson Presents

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

broadwayboy223
#91re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/19/16 at 4:34pm

I'm pretty sure Little Dancer is still being worked on? Wasn't there a lab or workshop within the last few months?

GhostXmasPast
#92re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/19/16 at 7:13pm

Mr Roxy said: "Sayonara
Arthur The Musical
Elmer Gantry
Harold & Maude - would be great Off Broadway
Paper Moon
"

Harold and Maude did, in fact, make it TO Broadway - for about three days and four or so performances.  Sometime in early 80's.  It was a legendary flop.

I would propose "Rebecca" - but hope springs eternal!

Jiaroony
#93re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/19/16 at 10:43pm

Here Lies Love

Jerry Springer The Musical

Huncback of Notre Dame

Updated On: 12/19/16 at 10:43 PM

And Peggy Profile Photo
And Peggy
#94re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/20/16 at 6:45pm

I read the first three pages of this thread before I realized this was an old thread!

Jiarooney, Hopefully we can move Here Lies Love into the "Interesting Musicals That Haven't Yet Made It To Broadway" category.

http://www.playbill.com/article/exclusive-revamped-here-lies-love-will-be-tested-in-seattle-with-eye-on-the-future 

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#95re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/20/16 at 7:26pm

I'm in the minority but I loved Vanities when it was at Second Stage.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

Ranger Tom
#96re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/20/16 at 7:51pm

Toxic Avenger

Somewhere in Time

bare (please produce before EVER doing Spring Awakening again)

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#97re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/20/16 at 11:08pm

Manilow's "Harmony"...as a previous poster mentioned. It was good in Los Angeles but would need work for Broadway. There's definitely something there... I think, aside from Manilow's score, they should bring in some of the greatest hits of the Comedian Harmonists...

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#98re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/21/16 at 5:57pm

Minskys

Roadshow

Love Never Dies

rattleNwoolypenguin
#99re: Interesting Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway
Posted: 12/22/16 at 12:36am

Heathers

Bat Boy

Lawrence O'Keefe musicals are actually pretty underrated I think, and Heathers suffered from poor direction and a lame set, but I stand by that being one of the best and catchy musical theatre scores of the last several years.

Also, Adam Lambert as Bat Boy. Just a thought.